Forgiveness or Retribution

A potpourri of off-topics.
mexi cali
Guru

Re: Forgiveness or Retribution

Post by mexi cali »

I think revenge is a base instinct. I think that most of us, when we are wronged jump to that place in the immediate aftermath when we're angry. At some point, the hate/pain fades away for many of us which is ggod.

I have always had big time anger issues. Caused me all kinds of problems for the first 40 or so years. I have worked on this problem diligently and while I can still be quick to anger, I also have the ability to take a mental step back and get hold of myself.

I used to get angry about lots of things; Bad drivers, rude people, bullies, criminals and on and on but the biggest button and the way to really ignite the fury was if you did something to me or my family and extended toward friends.

Or if you hit me in the face or head. The world really does go black and then red and then it's over and you have no idea what you did.

I can certainly relate to those who want payback. It is a natural reaction as I said but thankfully, most of us, me included can't hold grudges and eventually you find yourself in a place where a cooler head will prevail.

I always took comfort in believing that somewhere down the line, these people who I was so angry at will get a knock on their door one day from my old friend Karma.

Sorry about your friend.

Peace and Love. It's just better.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
spooker

Post by spooker »

I'm going to go with forgiveness ... the other side is just too much effort, and the anger would imbue whatever is left of my life with a bitter flavour I wouldn't want to have on my tongue as I pass away ...
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

What a sad story. I cannot imagine giving the last bit of life left in me to the people who wronged me. I learned the hard way that carrying around a bunch of resentment only handed over power to those who were responsible for the pain/problem.

The day I decided to withdraw that power was the day I decided that living better is always the best revenge. Come to think of it, I would not even divulge that it was my last days living (until it became absolutely obvious), I would enjoy what I enjoy, love those whom I love.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Apparently revenge is a dish best served cold. But as time wears on and the dish gets colder, one has no appetite for it.
That's what I've experienced.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

oldtrucker wrote:Forgiveness or Retribution?

...At some time in your life, one or more people had done something horrible to you or your family resulting in your illness/ eventual death or a loved ones death. ...

That's a tough one but I don't see how going after the person in a mean way will really give one pleasure - that could lead to guilt and remorse as well. I choose not to think of what has changed my life because of someone else and move forward blessed that I still have a life to enjoy. Knowing life is ending I would hope I'd reach out to friends and family that I'm close to now and not dwell on the ugliness of the past. Wrecking another person's life serves no purpose except for immediate gratification that is soon gone.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

"...and off she flounced..."
lol - flounced
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

There are many forms of revenge. I've never gotten the " turn the other cheek, forgiven them so I don't carry don't carry the burden of anger" lines. Of course it still bugs you or you wouldn't make reference to the issue, so it is still fresh. Like continuing to put a bandaid on a scab month after month after month. Nah, yank the scab off and heal :/ Often I have found coming up with the idea of a perfect revenge is enough and I can the file it away in the back vault.
I don't harm or support harming others, a few if they happened to catch on fire I'd bring the marshmellows
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

I am not turn the other cheek kind of guy, i am not a fan of people getting away with things they should of gone to jail for, or whatever was done , so in my case if i knew i had a few weeks to live i would 100% pay these people a visit

I know your all shocked [icon_lol2.gif]
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Grab Bag”