Fake News? How about inaccurate News?

A potpourri of off-topics.
my5cents
Guru

Fake News? How about inaccurate News?

Post by my5cents »

There are so many errors in news, that to list even the ones I've heard in the last few weeks would take all my time.

And, no, this isn't about Castanet, in fact they have it correct - https://www.castanet.net/news/World/303 ... ony-murder

I've been uncomfortable with a headline and a description of some media since I first heard it.

The shooting of Rayshard Brooks in Atlanta, is continually described in some media as "Ex-Cop Shoots Unarmed Man" (or variations). This was a case of a police officer, on duty investigating a impaired driving incident that went sideways. Upon trying to cuff the driver, he fled after grabbing a taser from one of the two officers affecting the arrest. A foot pursuit ensued and one of the officers shot the fleeing man twice in the back.

The following day the officer was fired from his job as a police officer.

It's always been my understanding that a headline should describe an event. Briefly what happened ?

Did an "ex" cop shoot the unarmed man ? No, a cop shot the unarmed man. He subsequently became an ex-cop, but that's not his status when he shot the man.

Let's say the cop couldn't make bail, should the headlines read "Prisoner Shoots Unarmed Man" ?

Have they lowered the standards for people entering the media ? I'm not talking about ma and pa weekly newspapers either.

I'm still not over (when describing the business jet that crashed with former Alberta premier Prentice on board) the media initially calling the crash in a mountainous isolated area a "Crash Landing".

The media seems to want to use well used phrases in their stories, whether or not it is accurate.

This week CHBC announce that Aunt Jemima syrup was being "removed from shelves". Yes a nice buzz phrase. But, completely wrong. Aunt Jemima is going to be re-named. Yes many products that perhaps are tainted or whatever are "removed from shelves" a common phrase, but it certainly doesn't describe this product.

I'm just worried the erroneous statement doesn't cause a rush on syrup, because it's on my shopping list.
Last edited by my5cents on Jun 21st, 2020, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Fake News? How about inaccurate News?

Post by LANDM »

Those are very good example of Inaccurage News items.

My pet peeve is when news outlets don’t even proofread for spelling and grammar.

:D
You and 71 others Like this post
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Fake News? How about inaccurate News?

Post by Glacier »

I can't remember who said it originally (maybe Mark Twain?), but I know Scott Adams brings it up a lot, and that is that whenever you have intimate or personal knowledge of a story, the media reports it wrong. When you're not that familiar with the actual facts, the media reports look accurate to you.

Logical conclusion: pretty much every single news report is inaccurate to one degree or another.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Grab Bag”