Air Conditioning Question

A potpourri of off-topics.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Air Conditioning Question

Post by Merry »

Do any of you lot know anything about Central Air Conditioning?

The other night I turned on my AC (the house temp was about 25 at the time, and I wanted to try to cool it down to 21.5 before I went to bed.

I turned it on at about 6:45 pm, and by 11:15 it had only cooled the house down to 23. Not sure how much longer it took after that to cool the place down to the set temp, but by the time I got up in the morning the AC was no longer running and the temp was 21.5.

Is it normal to take THAT long to cool down, or should I get a technician in to check it out?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
seewood
Lord of the Board

Re: Air Conditioning Question

Post by seewood »

Change your filter.

We know its time to swap filters when exactly as you describe happens. With two Golden Retrievers, happens a lot.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

seewood wrote:Change your filter.

We know its time to swap filters when exactly as you describe happens. With two Golden Retrievers, happens a lot.

Already checked the filter (mines the kind you can wash and put back), and we also cleaned the outside box with the fan in it (was full of cobwebs). Not sure what else to do.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If you are going to wait to turn it on it will take a long time to cool the whole house.

Everything in the house is hot at that point. The walls the furniture...everything and it all will radiate heat until it cools and the A/C will have to work extra hard to cool everything down.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
I might look normal but believe me, I talk to animals and wait for them to reply.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Bsuds wrote:If you are going to wait to turn it on it will take a long time to cool the whole house.

Everything in the house is hot at that point. The walls the furniture...everything and it all will radiate heat until it cools and the A/C will have to work extra hard to cool everything down.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

You are correct. Not sure of the house size but it takes a very long time to cool down. It’s not like heating a house at all. I have had it take 6-7 hours to drop 3 degrees when the house (2500 sq ft) has been “hot” for a long time. I think it’s better to keep it at a steady “set” temp.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input. I’ll take your advice and let the AC run 24/7 from now on. I have a programable thermostat so I can keep it a little warmer during the day, and gradually lower the temp in the evening, toward a more comfortable overnight temp.

That’s what I’ve done every other year, and it worked just fine. But this year I’ve been trying to keep my doors and windows open more during the day, which is why I’ve been turning off my AC. However, lesson learned. I’ll keep my doors and windows shut, and my AC on from now on.

Thanks again for your help.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

21.5 is pretty low and means a lot of stress on the unit. When it's this hot out, pick a reasonable temp. like23 or 24, set it and forget it.

Also, using strategically placed fans around air vents will help to cool the place much more quickly and keep "pockets" of the house that may not receive cool air cooler.

In general, people make the mistake of treating A/C like it is something different form heat, which it isn't. In the winter, you turn on the heat and set it to a temperature that is comfortable and you leave it. For some reason with A/C, people are inclined to be constantly turning it on or off which is hard on the unit.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

mexi cali wrote:21.5 is pretty low and means a lot of stress on the unit. When it's this hot out, pick a reasonable temp. like23 or 24, set it and forget it.

Also, using strategically placed fans around air vents will help to cool the place much more quickly and keep "pockets" of the house that may not receive cool air cooler.

In general, people make the mistake of treating A/C like it is something different form heat, which it isn't. In the winter, you turn on the heat and set it to a temperature that is comfortable and you leave it. For some reason with A/C, people are inclined to be constantly turning it on or off which is hard on the unit.

That is all true. Also, turn the temp down slowly, in stages. (my numbers below are just ones that I have picked out for simplicity)

If it is 80F, turn the A/C down to 78F. Give the A/C time to cycle twice.
Then turn it down to 76F and let it cycle 2X.

Slowly turn the temp down "slowly".

Don't forget that the A/C will have to cool all the solid items in the home (cupboards, desks, flooring, walls, beds), as well as the air for your comfort.

Reduce the use of heat emitting items like, stove, dryer, TV, etc. You have to pay to make them hot and then you will have to pay to cool the heat they give off.

If you try to cool too much, too fast, can cause freezing in the A/C unit and reduce it's efficiency.
Bring back the LIKE button.
A10ThunderboltII
Fledgling

Post by A10ThunderboltII »

Merry wrote:The other night I turned on my AC (the house temp was about 25 at the time, and I wanted to try to cool it down to 21.5 before I went to bed.I turned it on at about 6:45 pm, and by 11:15 it had only cooled the house down to 23. Not sure how much longer it took after that to cool the place down to the set temp, but by the time I got up in the morning the AC was no longer running and the temp was 21.5.
Is it normal to take THAT long to cool down, or should I get a technician in to check it out?

My filter is a washable one too. Its very hard to see the fine dust on it. If it gets even somewhat blocked, it can make the AC unit work very hard and that can cause the coil to freeze up which blocks all or nearly all the airflow thru the (cooling) coil.
I know this because it happened to me and I was w/o "air" for 3 days.

Wash out the filter with your outdoor hose and a sprayer attachment of some type. Make sure you are washing the right side..dirt/dust collects on ONE side. Once its throughly DRY, make sure the side facing the airflow is the right side..there are usually ARROWS on the ends/sides to indicate airflow but you have to know which side is which. Do you know which way the airflow runs in your unit..Mine runs UP from the bottom (heat pump) so the ARROWS face up.
It took two DAYS for the frozen coil to thaw out in my case...so no "AIR"..arrgh !
BTW, I keep a couple of spares: the disposable type filters so I can wash n dry the GOOD ONE if need be and still hava filter in there. Good luck

Return to “Grab Bag”