Does Castanet own Critteraid ?

A potpourri of off-topics.
oldtrucker
Guru

Re: Does Castanet own Critteraid ?

Post by oldtrucker »

On the topic of adopting animals...
Question....
What happens to the ones that are not adopted? The spca etc websites say they don't euthanize them if they are healthy, but there must be a significant amount that are not adopted....what happens to them? The organizations can't keep them forever.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

oldtrucker wrote:On the topic of adopting animals...
Question....
What happens to the ones that are not adopted? The spca etc websites say they don't euthanize them if they are healthy, but there must be a significant amount that are not adopted....what happens to them? The organizations can't keep them forever.

Speaking as someone in a non profit rescue, I've kept amimals in my foster care for months until they eventually get adopted. Its a commitment you don't bail on. I've had some for almost a year and I've had some never leave and become a part of our family (that's called a 'foster fail')

At the SPCA not all the amimals are kept at the shelter. Some stay in foster homes until they are adopted or able to be moved into the shelter.. Most times the SPCA will shuffle them around to other shelters and communities around the province if their time is up here in Kelowna. I don't agree with that practice as it is very stressful to the animals but its what they do to give them more exposure.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

MalaPropina wrote:Its a commitment you don't bail on.

:smt045 :up: :smt045 :130:
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

oldtrucker wrote:
MalaPropina wrote:Its a commitment you don't bail on.

:smt045 :up: :smt045 :130:

Most of these poor souls have been let down, abused or abandoned by humans already. To do it to them again because they are overlooked due to age, color, special needs is beyond cruel. They are welcome in my home for as long as it takes.... and always welcome back if adopters decide to bail. (Yes, its happened)

These volunteer run, foster based rescues such as CritterAid, OHS, Kelowna Kitten Rescue and Sushwap Paws are highly committed (fostering is a 24/7 job) and deserve some exposure for their work in the community.

Return to “Grab Bag”