CHBC turning into WKRP ?

A potpourri of off-topics.
my5cents
Guru

CHBC turning into WKRP ?

Post by my5cents »

For those old enough to have watched the sitcom, "WKRP in Cincinnati" (or have seen re-runs) sorry for the review, for those who don't know what WKRP in Cincinnati was all about....

The sitcom was televised by the CBS network from September 1978 to April 1982. It told the story of a failing radio station that changed it's music format to rock and roll and supplemented it's old incompetent staff with new blood.

The bulk of the comedy came from the interaction between the old incompetent staff interacting with the new with it staff.

We had, Les Nessman the very incompetent news/sports caster, Herb Tarlek the station salesman who thought he was so cool but wasn't. Always wearing gaudy sports jackets, so much so, that many today describe such a jacket as a "Herb Tarlek Jacket", and the owner/station general manager Mr Carlson who normally just sat in his office fiddling with pencils etc.

Some of the episodes were priceless. Especially the "Turkeys Away" (Episode 7 Season 1), where the incompetent owner/general manager (Mr Carlson, played by Gordon Jump) launched his own Thanksgiving promotion by throwing live turkeys from a helicopter circling a local shopping centre.

The also incompetent news reader/sports caster, (Les Nessman, played by Richard Sanders) gave a live on the scene narrative from the shopping centre parking lot of the turkeys plummeting to the ground in a take off of the live news reporting of the Hindenburg crash. The Mr. Carlson character later stated, "As God as my witness I thought turkeys could fly"

Some are wondering where I'm going with this. Well in watching the one hour (5:00 PM to 6:00 PM) evening news on the local Global affiliate, I am constantly reminded of WKRP. I am continually frustrated, surprised, shocked, embarrassed, bewildered listening each week day. Listening to the regular "news anchor" stumble and fumble just reading standard text. Mispronouncing everyday words, and names. I guess I now watch the news, not for information (because generally there isn't much and much of that is incomplete) but to see what's going to happen next.

Last night among the normal flubs was a bit of a shocker, to mispronounce a simple given name "Morgan". It's hard to key in pronunciation unless one has the knowledge of a dictionary writer, but I'll try. She was introducing a story by a Global reporter from back east somewhere, a Morgan [something]. She stated : "here is mor<slight pause>Gan (plus a surname) The emphasis on the "G". Not "morg'n" as it is normally pronounced.

Right away my mind shot to another episode of WKRP, where Les Nessman is talking about the golfer Chi Chi Rodrigues. As Les is reading the news he pronounces the golfer's name "ch-eye, ch-eye, rod-ri-g-weez. As he says it another character, Johnny Fever in a stage whisper states "chee - chee - rod-ree-gus". Of course Nessman goes on stubbornly saying the surname incorrectly again "Mister rod-ri-g-weez ,,,,,,"

This mispronunciation is nothing, could happen to anyone, but it's all the time, flubs, stumbles, caption heading not matching the facts stated Caption : "4 Million spent on...." Stated : "The government admits that 3 million was spent on...."

The weather ! Anyone else notice it's all over the map. Maybe it's just me, but I'm of the opinion that the weather should be mostly about the local weather, not a zillion photo's briefly interrupted by a smattering of weather forecast. Maps showing ? precipitation for three days that you need two sets of eyes to understand that flashes across the screen.

One evening Mark Madryga, the chief meteorologist for Global Vancouver did the our weather. Few if any photo's, understandable forecast no confusing maps, understandable flow. He only did it once during the one hour news cast, not THREE times like our guy does.

When Global threatened to close CHBC, years ago, the public protested, I wonder if that would happen if Global announced they were closing CHBC now.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: CHBC turning into WKRP ?

Post by oneh2obabe »

Don't bother watching the weather when you get different forecasts depending on the station. Easiest way is look out the window and see for yourself.
my5cents wrote:Some of the episodes were priceless. Especially the "Turkeys Away" (Episode 7 Season 1), where the incompetent owner/general manager (Mr Carlson, played by Gordon Jump) launched his own Thanksgiving promotion by throwing live turkeys from a helicopter circling a local shopping centre.

The also incompetent news reader/sports caster, (Les Nessman, played by Richard Sanders) gave a live on the scene narrative from the shopping centre parking lot of the turkeys plummeting to the ground in a take off of the live news reporting of the Hindenburg crash. The Mr. Carlson character later stated, "As God as my witness I thought turkeys could fly"
Anyway, now for the fun stuff ...
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
seewood
Lord of the Board

Re: CHBC turning into WKRP ?

Post by seewood »

^^^ so many memorable episodes. If you can catch re-runs do so, good laughs.

Regarding the local tv station, must be a training station paying low wages much like CKOK was (is) in Penticton.
If you're good, you move on and up, if not you go to the CBC or another line of work.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Return to “Grab Bag”