Dangerous toys - those were the days

A potpourri of off-topics.
oldtrucker
Guru

Re: Dangerous toys - those were the days

Post by oldtrucker »

alanjh595 wrote: May 16th, 2021, 5:01 pm A "toy" that can take two lives before reloading, turned over to a child with no previous firearms experience/training........what could go wrong?
Look on the bright side(?), they didn't give him a semi auto with a full length mag tube. My first shotgun was a break barrel single shot 20 gauge. Double barrel.... I've never owned one.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

alanjh595 wrote: May 16th, 2021, 5:01 pm
bb49 wrote: I was a deprived child, never had one of those.
But when I turned twelve, my parents bought me a double-barrel 20-gauge.
Now that was a toy! :up:
A "toy" that can take two lives before reloading, turned over to a child with no previous firearms experience/training........what could go wrong?
Who was there to train us? Well there was my father, who had real gun training in the army. Other than that, nobody.
We owned five acres, mostly pasture. I would set up targets and blast away.

After school I would often grab my dog and my shotgun and walk down the road until I got to grouse country. Yup, 12 years old and walking down the road with a shotgun. Try that today!

Shot plenty of grouse and even dropped a cow moose with a 20-guage slug at 14 years old.

Oh yeah, when I was 14, an uncle died and his wife shipped his two old Lee Enfield rifles to me, bayonets included. :200: Along with several large boxes of various types of ammo, many that I have no use for.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

bb49 wrote: May 18th, 2021, 4:37 pm After school I would often grab my dog and my shotgun and walk down the road until I got to grouse country. Yup, 12 years old and walking down the road with a shotgun. Try that today!
Another poster mentioned a similar thing.
Used to take a .270 on the school bus in bumsville sask. Just going shooting at a friends place afterskool. edit added....Also had a gun rack at school. I know what changed....probably the wrong thread to get into that tho.
Last edited by oldtrucker on May 18th, 2021, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

Back to harmless little toys. :biggrin:

We had a couple of stores in my town that sold various pranks.
One was a small foil wrapped item maybe the size of a marble. You would drop them on the floor, maybe in a crowded store waiting for people to step on them. When they did, BANG. A small but loud bang, just like a firecracker.

And then there were these little glass amulets. You would break the end off and it would release a teargas like substance.
One night 3 or 4 of us had these little amulets and snuck up onto the roof of the Catholic school gym where an assembly was going on. We pried open a window and dropped several of them onto the floor, then ran like hell. A teacher, or maybe a priest spotted us but we were quicker.

But those days are over. :cry:
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

Hot pepper trick gum....and everything else you could order out of the back of a comic book in the 60's and 70's :up: :smt045
BigBadBen

Post by BigBadBen »

bb49 wrote: May 18th, 2021, 7:59 pm We had a couple of stores in my town that sold various pranks.
One was a small foil wrapped item maybe the size of a marble. You would drop them on the floor, maybe in a crowded store waiting for people to step on them. When they did, BANG. A small but loud bang, just like a firecracker.
Intriguing. I've never seen that and thought I've seen it all.

What town and what timeframe?
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

BigBadBen wrote: May 18th, 2021, 9:58 pm
bb49 wrote: May 18th, 2021, 7:59 pm We had a couple of stores in my town that sold various pranks.
Intriguing. I've never seen that and thought I've seen it all.

What town and what timeframe?
Terrace, 1960s.
Real small town and months, years behind the rest of the country.
How far behind were we? When tv first came to Terrace, even Saturday night hockey games were a week old. :200:
BigBadBen

Post by BigBadBen »

Terrace? Me too!!! 70's and 80's.

I remember that CFTK could only live broadcast in B&W and they had no advertising. Just a picture of a fishing boat and music during the commercial breaks.

At least we didn't have a cable bill.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Terrace sounds like a wonderful place. The Land that Time Forgot :smt045
Have they heard of the Internet or Cell Phones Yet?
If not I would love to retire there :biggrin:
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

All types of dangerous toys for kids in that town, beer and whiskey were top of the list.
Along with fishing and hunting :up:, drinking was most teenagers favourite past time.
At one aftergrad, three students and one teacher smashed up their cars.

And then there's Prince Rupert. :200:

Terrace was where I learned to drink, Rupert is where I perfected it. :130:
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

Clackers!
C0EC776E-BD0C-4B97-B901-14EA7F126984.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigBadBen

Post by BigBadBen »

bb49 wrote: May 20th, 2021, 11:11 am
Terrace was where I learned to drink, Rupert is where I perfected it. :130:
A little divergent, but Terrace and dangerous childhood activities.

You ever jump ice floes? There was an eddy in the Skeena river in which we would jump onto ice floes during spring breakup. Monumentally stupid, I know.

Up by the rifle range was a forest of young birch. If you skinnied up one and got it swinging you could cross from tree to tree like Tarzan. Far less elegantly, but it worked.

Edit: spelling floes. jeesh!

Return to “Grab Bag”