Urban Chickens

A potpourri of off-topics.
brightlighter

Urban Chickens

Post by brightlighter »

With all that is going on, the floods, food hoarding and shortages, perhaps now is the time for the City of Kelowna Council to re-consider allowing "Urban Chickens", perhaps just two laying hens to each adult in a household, providing that they have a medium sized yard with a small coop and fenced area for the birds and that it is maintained to keep rodents and vermin from the area. I would love to have two chickens to allow for eggs and not be so concerned about the many shortages... Having chickens can also cut down on the household and garden waste such as food scraps, unused leftovers and garden waste.

What do you all think?
Sparki55
Guru

Re: Urban Chickens

Post by Sparki55 »

brightlighter wrote: Nov 18th, 2021, 4:21 pm With all that is going on, the floods, food hoarding and shortages, perhaps now is the time for the City of Kelowna Council to re-consider allowing "Urban Chickens", perhaps just two laying hens to each adult in a household, providing that they have a medium sized yard with a small coop and fenced area for the birds and that it is maintained to keep rodents and vermin from the area. I would love to have two chickens to allow for eggs and not be so concerned about the many shortages... Having chickens can also cut down on the household and garden waste such as food scraps, unused leftovers and garden waste.

What do you all think?
I find it ridiculous we have such laws prohibiting the use of personal property.

- only 4 pot plants
- no chickens
- dog must have license
- can't build a shed over a certain size

100% agree. Chickens, ducks, whatever you want to raise that is a small animal.
CrystalCity
Board Meister

Post by CrystalCity »

There's an Urban myth that you need a rooster to get eggs from a hen. You don't. Heck even one hen is sufficient for a small family. Better a hen than keeping a chihuahua.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
Boosted632
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Boosted632 »

Sparki55 wrote: Nov 18th, 2021, 4:25 pm
brightlighter wrote: Nov 18th, 2021, 4:21 pm With all that is going on, the floods, food hoarding and shortages, perhaps now is the time for the City of Kelowna Council to re-consider allowing "Urban Chickens", perhaps just two laying hens to each adult in a household, providing that they have a medium sized yard with a small coop and fenced area for the birds and that it is maintained to keep rodents and vermin from the area. I would love to have two chickens to allow for eggs and not be so concerned about the many shortages... Having chickens can also cut down on the household and garden waste such as food scraps, unused leftovers and garden waste.

What do you all think?
I find it ridiculous we have such laws prohibiting the use of personal property.

- only 4 pot plants
- no chickens
- dog must have license
- can't build a shed over a certain size

100% agree. Chickens, ducks, whatever you want to raise that is a small animal.
Won't seem so ridiculous when your neighbor decides he wants 4 or 5 pigs on his property and I do believe you can have a limited number of chickens already
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

Our neighbor had 3 or 4 chickens in a coup in the backyard. I didn't know about it until one day I heard unfamiliar bird noises through my window.

Being a minor wildlife aficionado, I went outside to track down whatever bird(s) were vocalizing. I found the chicken coop on the other side of the backyard fence and had to giggle, having thought I might find some exotic species blown off course by a storm.

I found their vocal antics hilarious and they never bothered me.
Sparki55 wrote: Nov 18th, 2021, 4:25 pm I find it ridiculous we have such laws prohibiting the use of personal property. [/snip]
Yeah. Reminds me of an old German law where it was illegal to wash your front house steps with used underwear.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Boosted632 wrote: Nov 18th, 2021, 5:31 pm Won't seem so ridiculous when your neighbor decides he wants 4 or 5 pigs on his property and I do believe you can have a limited number of chickens already
Why would that be a problem?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Urban chickens ? .. Do they taste the same as Costco chickens ??

Where do I get one ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Noisy Boater
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Noisy Boater »

The urban chickens come with feathers attached unlike the factory chickens from Costco. So you will hafta figure that part out. Maybe make a pillow??? Any time you have any kind of animal be it chicken pig goat llama you will attract flies and the nimbys wont like the smells. City folk need to know animals that end up on the table all have to poop n pee every day just like us!! Do you know where that all ends up?? Small hobby farms till it back into the garden soil and spread it on fields for feed. Just think about how much cow poop is made for your glass of 2%. Imagine a 500 herd dairy farm!!!
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Noisy Boater
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Noisy Boater »

The daughter n son n law get 2 batches of meat birds per year. About 100 per time. Best tastin chicken ever!!
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Boosted632
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Boosted632 »

Sparki55 wrote: Nov 18th, 2021, 6:21 pm
Boosted632 wrote: Nov 18th, 2021, 5:31 pm Won't seem so ridiculous when your neighbor decides he wants 4 or 5 pigs on his property and I do believe you can have a limited number of chickens already
Why would that be a problem?
Do you have any idea how bad the smell would be [icon_lol2.gif]
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Until you get things such as bird flu, other diseases or random animals coming to kill them

Instead of having chickens at home, why not work with a farm to see if you can get fresh eggs from them? They would be kept in a controlled and sanitized manner.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I grew up with chickens, love farm fresh eggs, but I'm on the fence with this one.

I guess as long as there is a minimum lot/yard size, hens only, and a maximum of say 4 birds it'd be OK.

Here are some other considerations:
- Chickens are more than just "egg makers". They need to be cared for, they sometimes require medical intervention, etc. I worry about neglected animals after the 1st year or 2 and the novelty has worn off.
- Noise should not be a concern. No need for a rooster.
- Chicken poop is one of the stronger smelling poops I've dealt with on the farm. It shouldn't be an issue with a handful of birds and a well maintained coop. But as per above - I worry about how well maintained some of these coops will be after the 1st year or two.
- Chickens and flies seem to go hand in hand. Again - not too bad when it's only a few hens and IF the coop is well maintained. But no matter how you slice it - your neighbor get's chickens and you'll notice more flies in the area.
- Predators love chickens. Easy tasty meals. And not just the regular predators you think of. Hawks, Racoons, weasels - they all like chicken too. Depending on your point of view, attracting these predators may be of concern. Also it can be a nasty way for the animals to die. Way too common to see every bird killed, but only 1 bird eaten/missing. Another one of those things that will really depend on how well they are cared for.

Long story short - how well cared for the chickens are will have a HUGE impact on what it's like to live next door to it and I worry about how some will be cared for. Like the poor bunnies who live in their hutches their whole lives and barely get let our or handled after the novelty has worn off.

Personally - I don't think owning chickens is "worth it" unless your family eats a lot of eggs. And if that's the case, you should consider the health impacts of eating so many eggs. $5 for a doz local organic eggs is a great price. If you consider the cost to build a proper coop/enclosure, feed, vet care/medications, and your time - buying is the way to go. Having said that - if I had a need to be more self sustaining when it came to food, chickens would be near the top of my list.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

TylerM4 wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 8:36 am And if that's the case, you should consider the health impacts of eating so many eggs.
I'm curious what you know about eating too many eggs? I love them and consider them very healthy based on studies such as:
Large-scale studiesTrusted Source have consistently shown that consuming eggs does not increase the risk of heart disease in participants from the United States.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... 01#summary
CrystalCity
Board Meister

Post by CrystalCity »

TylerM4 wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 8:36 am Personally - I don't think owning chickens is "worth it" unless your family eats a lot of eggs. And if that's the case, you should consider the health impacts of eating so many eggs. $5 for a doz local organic eggs is a great price. If you consider the cost to build a proper coop/enclosure, feed, vet care/medications, and your time - buying is the way to go. Having said that - if I had a need to be more self sustaining when it came to food, chickens would be near the top of my list.
Yeah, the average hen lays 5-6 eggs a week, and the recommended intake of eggs is 2 per week. As the birds are somewhat social having 2 is good for the hens well being, so you are now producing an average of 10-12 eggs per week. That's okay for a family of 4, but when you factor in the costs of food, vet, and cleaning, not really that cost effective.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've read that currently an egg a day is okay.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Grab Bag”