Vintage, Antique and other Useless Junk

A potpourri of off-topics.
bb49
Guru

Re: Vintage, Antique and other Useless Junk

Post by bb49 »

Back to the really old stuff.

Here's a set of books I inherited many years ago.
The History of England. Four volumes covering the period B. C. 55 to A. D. 1868.

They were in rough shape at the time but I found someone who could recover them, and they did an excellent job.

Each volume is signed by my paternal grandfather with his name, living at Silver street, The Groves, York, June, 1878.
20220714_165622.jpg
20220714_165718.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bb49 on Jul 14th, 2022, 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)

"I reject a society where every desire becomes a right. Where I have no responsibilities, I have only rights."
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

A couple of pictures from the first volume.
I'll post more info on them later.

These are typical of that Era.
20220714_165842.jpg
20220714_170013.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"I reject a society where every desire becomes a right. Where I have no responsibilities, I have only rights."
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Those are utterly gorgeous :D
I haven't failed until I quit.
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

When I first received these books they were in terrible shape. A couple of covers were right off and some the first pages were torn off and damaged.
I left the books with a small book restoration company. I didn't see them again for several months but when I did I was blown away by the quality of the work.

Will I ever read them? Gosh no. Did you see the size of the print, but hey, the occasional read-up on a particular event in English history is interesting.

I'll put up more info on the other books soon.

MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

bb49 wrote: Jul 13th, 2022, 9:42 pm
MCB wrote: Jul 13th, 2022, 8:29 pm D'oh! the picture is upside down! [icon_lol2.gif]
First guess, it's a Proton Pack! :200:

Does it work?
images.jpeg.jpg
Have you seen any ghosts recently? [icon_lol2.gif]

Long story short I was going through a rough patch back in 2013 and needed a project to keep my mind occupied. I "finished" it up in time for Halloween 2014 which ironically was my nephew's first Halloween! (He's 10 now :200: )
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

That is very well done!

I collect "French Ivory" - it's one of the early plastics, meant to mimic ivory.
20220714_193936.jpg
And vintage costume jewellery (shiny!)
20220714_193135.jpg
and vintage hats . . .
20220714_193226.jpg
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

OMG, vintage costume jewellery! :200:

When we were downsizing just recently that was one of the items we had to purge. Several dozen from my mother. She never could afford the real stuff so decked herself out in the costume jewellery.
Grandkids didn't want them anymore so out they went.

If I had know you or someone else were in to that, I would have kept them. But only for a very short time. :biggrin:

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

By "out" you mean to a thrift store, right? Because if you PMed me I would have driven over :D
Spend some time and money on establishing an Estate plan, a Legal Will, your wishes and who is the Executor. Watch Grant of Probate videos. Understand the process to help yourself and loved ones.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

WOE.

Alas, it was not meant to be - I hope someone else is delighting over them :)
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

bb49 wrote: Jul 8th, 2022, 10:07 pm Wife and I cleaned out and moved our Safe-deposit box junk this week.

A stack of interesting papers including a couple of BCRIC shares, but this really had me pleading for my life while she stood there with a Wusthof knife.

"What the hell is this? :200:
It's four years before we met!"
:-X
BUSTED.
20220708_215406.jpg
That's seriously funny.

You needed a night light? :135:
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

My dad would have loved those books.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

I had a look in a full length antique mirror today. Mirror is beautiful, with a guilded age look. Now what was in the mirror is vintage,old useless junk. What happened to it? It used to have hair that wasn't white, it had no wrinkles, it had a strong and what I foolishly thought was a indestructible body. Now a worn out old saddle bag with eyes that i don't recognize anymore.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
AB,SK,MB...are you going to wait until you lose your way of life before you consider getting out of confederation?
Catsumi
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catsumi »

oldtrucker wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 6:04 pm I had a look in a full length antique mirror today. Mirror is beautiful, with a guilded age look. Now what was in the mirror is vintage,old useless junk. What happened to it? It used to have hair that wasn't white, it had no wrinkles, it had a strong and what I foolishly thought was a indestructible body. Now a worn out old saddle bag with eyes that i don't recognize anymore.
I bid $5.00
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect” - Mark Twain

“"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -W. Churchill
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

Hmmm.. bird in hand...
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
AB,SK,MB...are you going to wait until you lose your way of life before you consider getting out of confederation?
Catsumi
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catsumi »

oldtrucker wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 7:52 pm Hmmm.. bird in hand...
Poops every time.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect” - Mark Twain

“"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -W. Churchill

Return to “Grab Bag”