Vintage, Antique and other Useless Junk

A potpourri of off-topics.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Vintage, Antique and other Useless Junk

Post by Lady tehMa »

The Okanagan Vintage Fair will be at the Parkinson Rec Centre on Oct 1, market hours are 10-3 - if anyone is interested in browsing the topic of our thread :biggrin:

Edit:
Copy of OKANAGAN VINTAGE FAIR.png
I will be attending. Anyone else?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I haven't failed until I quit.
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

Here's another one I dug out after our move.

A Kinfolks hunting knife. It appears to be what the US Army was purchasing in 1942, if this site is correct.
Looks identical. "Kinfolks" is stamped on the blade and the sheath.
Blade is 6" long, overall length is 11.5".
https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums ... lks-knife/

There is an additional strap I added to keep it secure. While working in the bush especially in my early years I packed it everywhere. Killed a lot of devils club with it.

One question for the experts, I need to polish up the blade. Any suggestions.
20220929_184722.jpg
20220929_184752.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)

"I reject a society where every desire becomes a right. Where I have no responsibilities, I have only rights."
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

That is really cool, bb49!

My oldest knife is probably this one - it belonged to my mom's elderly neighbour. When she (neighbour) went into assisted living she gave it to her for me - was part of her gardening kit. It's pretty enough that I think I may see about cleaning it up. It's Sheffield.
Knife 1.jpg
Knife 2.jpg
seewood
Lord of the Board

Post by seewood »

bb49 wrote: Sep 29th, 2022, 7:32 pm One question for the experts, I need to polish up the blade. Any suggestions.
Not an expert, however get some steel wool in several degrees of courseness.
Bit of light oil and start with course and after a while work yourself down to fine.
I have put a shine on a couple of my old chopping axes that way.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

I have an old knife, must go see where the heck it is
Am I free tomorrow? No I'm expensive every day
Catsumi
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catsumi »

I have seen that knife before back in my past, somewhere, LadyT. Was it my dad’s or brother’s knife, but it gave me that weird feeling of knowing it before. I guess they weren’t all that uncommon back in 1950-60 era?

It was called a pocket knife.

(For cutting pockets?) [icon_lol2.gif]
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect” - Mark Twain

“"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -W. Churchill
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Catsumi wrote: Sep 30th, 2022, 5:50 pm I have seen that knife before back in my past, somewhere, LadyT. Was it my dad’s or brother’s knife, but it gave me that weird feeling of knowing it before. I guess they weren’t all that uncommon back in 1950-60 era?

It was called a pocket knife.

(For cutting pockets?) [icon_lol2.gif]
XD

For keeping in pockets. My Dad was never without one. For my son's 16th birthday I bought him one. I gave my daughter one, too. I keep one in my purse. I've used it for removing loose threads, tags off items I want to wear immediately, and even removing a sliver. They are quite handy.

I went to the vintage fair yesterday (Sat Oct 1) at the Parkinson Rec Centre. I was very good, did not add to my collection any (though I saw lots of neat things to buy!).

I saw a few friends there too, that was really nice!
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

That knife looks very familiar. I'm sure I had one just like it, or at least the handle was similar.

And yes, I always carried a small pocket knife as a kid, and of course to school. Today, a knife in your pocket would yield a pretty good suspension.

"I reject a society where every desire becomes a right. Where I have no responsibilities, I have only rights."
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I might be buying some books this weekend. I will update possibly on Sunday,
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Lady tehMa wrote: Oct 7th, 2022, 8:34 am I might be buying some books this weekend. I will update possibly on Sunday,
I am feeling a little sad - I missed out on the thing I wanted.

It was a set of Mark Twain's books. It was in a silent auction. In 1899 (I think?) He released all his books as a set. This was a first edition print of that set, minus 2 books. I was hoping to get it for around $300 (if I was lucky). It went for $1000 . . . *sigh*
I don't have that kind of money. But it is the sort of collecting I would like to do. *wistful*
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Now I'm looking at getting something else. If it comes through, I'll let you know.

I bought an opera strand of beads from the 1920's - so honestly antique. Lovely! And with shipping cost me less than $15 :biggrin: I was holding them up to show my husband and the string broke :200: So, I restrung them. I didn't have the proper hemp beading twine/string, so I made do with upholstery thread (I use that stuff for mending - it doesn't wear out easily). It took about an hour and the hardest part was finding a needle that would take the 2 strands and still go through the beads :admin:

I bought an early 1960's jewellery box off of FB Marketplace yesterday afternoon, also. $5! Made in Japan, in exquisite condition and is a music box to boot :biggrin:

I do love to collect antique & vintage costume jewellery - and I love that (so far) I can do it on the cheap :130:
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

well, I can't find the darn knife I mentioned... got it as a joke gift and I kinda enjoyed it
Am I free tomorrow? No I'm expensive every day
Catsumi
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catsumi »

Lady tehMa wrote: Oct 19th, 2022, 8:21 am Now I'm looking at getting something else. If it comes through, I'll let you know.

I bought an opera strand of beads from the 1920's - so honestly antique. Lovely! And with shipping cost me less than $15 :biggrin: I was holding them up to show my husband and the string broke :200: So, I restrung them. I didn't have the proper hemp beading twine/string, so I made do with upholstery thread (I use that stuff for mending - it doesn't wear out easily). It took about an hour and the hardest part was finding a needle that would take the 2 strands and still go through the beads :admin:

I bought an early 1960's jewellery box off of FB Marketplace yesterday afternoon, also. $5! Made in Japan, in exquisite condition and is a music box to boot :biggrin:

I do love to collect antique & vintage costume jewellery - and I love that (so far) I can do it on the cheap :130:
Pictures are worth a thousand words LadyT. Got any?
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect” - Mark Twain

“"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -W. Churchill
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

bb49 wrote: Sep 29th, 2022, 7:32 pm Here's another one I dug out after our move.

A Kinfolks hunting knife. It appears to be what the US Army was purchasing in 1942, if this site is correct.
Looks identical. "Kinfolks" is stamped on the blade and the sheath.
Blade is 6" long, overall length is 11.5".
https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums ... lks-knife/

There is an additional strap I added to keep it secure. While working in the bush especially in my early years I packed it everywhere. Killed a lot of devils club with it.

One question for the experts, I need to polish up the blade. Any suggestions.
20220929_184722.jpg

20220929_184752.jpg
Noooo... Don't polish it. It's more collectable with the patina
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
AB,SK,MB...are you going to wait until you lose your way of life before you consider getting out of confederation?
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

Patina.
First result was this,
pattina1

/pat·tì·na/

sostantivo femminile

Piastrina metallica impiegata per fissare il telaio degli infissi alle murature.
:135:

Then this,
Patina Brewing Co. Brew House & BBQ

Finally this,
a finish over a surface that develops over a period of time due to weather, stress and/or age. 
Yes, that makes sense, but should also include blood.

And should I decide to sell it I will include the word "patina", which should allow the price to be jacked up. :biggrin:

Thanks OT. :up:

Return to “Grab Bag”