This day in History

A potpourri of off-topics.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: This day in History

Post by The Green Barbarian »

rustled wrote: Feb 7th, 2024, 6:45 pm
Babba_not_Gump wrote: Feb 7th, 2024, 4:09 pm February 7.

SNIP

1974. Mel Brooks' western spoof film "Blazing Saddles", starring Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder premieres at the Pickwick Drive-In in Burbank, California; patrons watched from horseback rather than cars.
Too funny! That was a great drive-in movie. Saw it from a truck, though.
There's a movie that would never get made today.
"The conservatives have rediscovered their spines! — and not just the ones that enable them to stand up straight, but the ones that make them spiky and witty and able to spar with some truly devastating confidence and humour. - Jordan Peterson
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

February 9.
1267. Synod of Breslau orders Jews of Silesia to wear special caps.

1287. Massive storm across south-east England hits Cinque Ports realines the coastline, New Romney port now a mile inland.

1674. English reconquer New York City from Netherlands.

1861. Jefferson Davis and Alexander Stephens elected President and VP of the Confederate States of America.

1886. US President Grover Cleveland declares a state of emergency in Seattle because of anti-Chinese violence.

1891. 1st shipment of asparagus arrives in San Francisco from Sacramento.

1909. 1st US federal legislation on narcotics prohibits importation, possession, and use of "smoking opium".

1923. Soviet Aeroflot airlines forms.

1926. Teaching theory of evolution forbidden in Atlanta, Georgia schools.

1933. -63°F (-53°C), Moran, Wyoming (state record).

1934 -14.3°F (-25.7°C), coldest day in New York City.

1942. Daylight Savings War Time goes into effect in US.

1956. -5°F (-20.6°C) in Sicily.

1964. 1st appearance of the Beatles on "The Ed Sullivan Show", live from New York; broadcast draws 73.7 million television viewers.

1969. 1st flight of the Boeing 747 jumbo jet.

1971. Probably 1st gay theme TV episode - All in the Family.

1985. Madonna's album "Like a Virgin" goes #1 for 3 weeks.

1994. Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres signs accord with PLO's Yasser Arafat.

2014. Switzerland votes to return immigration quotas.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

Isn't there usually a nut on the other end of a bolt?
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

February 12.
1502. Muslims in Granada forced to convert to Catholicism.

1554. Queen of England for nine days, Lady Jane Grey aged about 17 is executed for treason under Mary I at the Tower of London.

1777. Captain James Cook arrives at Queen Charlotte Sound, New Zealand, aboard HMS Resolution, on his 3rd trip to the Pacific.

1870. Official proclamation sets April 15 as last day of grace for US silver coins to circulate in Canada.

1879. 1st artificial ice rink in North America at Madison Square Garden, NYC.

1899. -47°F (-44°C), Camp Clarke, Nebraska (state record).

1908. NY to Paris auto race (via Alaska & Siberia) begins in NYC George Schuster wins after 88 days behind the wheel.

1909. National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) forms.

1935. First secret demonstration of radio signals detecting aircraft by Robert Watson-Watt and Arnold Wilkins at Daventry, England.

1941. First injection of penicillin into a patient by British physician Charles Fletcher at Radcliffe Infirmary in Oxford, England.

1947. Record 100.5-kg sailfish caught by C. W. Stewart, near the Galapagos Islands.

1949. Team Canada beats Denmark 47-0 in hockey.

1967. Keith Richards, Mick Jagger & Marianne Faithful busted for drugs in a raid at Richards' Sussex home.

1982. Wayne Gretzky scores 153rd point of season, breaking NHL record.

1989. 5 Pakistani Muslim rioters killed protesting "Satanic Verses" novel.

1997. Fred Goldman says he will settle for a signed murder confession from O.J. Simpson in lieu of his $20.5 million judgement.

1999. US President Bill Clinton acquitted by the Senate in his impeachment trial.

2010. XXI Winter Olympic Games open in Vancouver, Canada.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

February 13.
1258. Baghdad, then a city of 1 million, falls to the Mongols as the Abbasid Caliphate is destroyed, tens of thousands slaughtered, ending the Islamic Golden Age.

1349. Jews are expelled from Burgdorf, Switzerland, accused of spreading the Bubonic Plague.

1633. Italian astronomer Galileo Galilei arrived in Rome for trial before Inquisition for professing belief that earth revolves around the Sun.

1689. Parliament of England adopts the Bill of Rights which establishes the rights of parliament and places limits on the crown.

1886. Painter Thomas Eakins resigns from Philadelphia Academy of Art after controversial over use of male nudes in a coed art class.

1899. -2°F (-19°C) Tallahassee, Florida (state record).

1905. -29°F (-34°C) Pond, Arkansas (state record).

1916. Albert Einstein presents Karl Schwarzschild’'s solution to his equations for a (then theoretical) black hole to the Prussian Academy of Sciences.

1932. A 2-2 final round tie with the US is good enough for Canada to clinch its 4th consecutive Olympic ice hockey gold medal at Lake Placid; Canadian center Walter Monson is tournament top scorer with 11 points.

1935. Bruno Hauptmann found guilty of kidnap & murder of Lindbergh infant. He proclaimed his innocence to the end.

1942. Operation Sealion, Nazi Germany’s invasion of England, is cancelled by Adolf Hitler.

1955. Israel acquires 4 of 7 Dead Sea scrolls.

1967. Capitol Records releases the Beatles' double "A" side single "Penny Lane" & "Strawberry Fields" in the US.

1974. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Russian novelist and historian, is deported from the Soviet Union to Frankfurt, West Germany and stripped of his Soviet citizenship.

1988. XV Winter Olympic Games open in Calgary, Canada.

1995. Howard Stern radio show premieres in San Diego CA on XTRA-FM.

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

1886. Painter Thomas Eakins resigns from Philadelphia Academy of Art after controversial over use of male nudes in a coed art class.
Today, we ‘barely’ know “males”, let alone nude ones! [icon_lol2.gif]
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

nevermind
I might be laid back but I can lean forward real quick
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

normaM wrote: Feb 14th, 2024, 6:19 amnevermind
Thanks, i guess i get the day off. :biggrin:

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

February 15.
399 BC. Philosopher Socrates is sentenced to death by the city of Athens for corrupting the minds of the youth of the city and for impiety.

1768. 1st mustard manufactured in America advertised, Philadelphia.

1867. Johann Strauss' "Blue Danube" waltz premieres in Vienna.

1895. 23 cm (9 inches) of snow falls on New Orleans.

1918. Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania adopt the Gregorian calendar.

1922. Guglielmo Marconi begins regular broadcasting transmissions from Essex.

1933. President-elect Franklin D. Roosevelt survives assassination attempt in Miami, Florida.

1936. -60°F (-51°C), Parshall, North Dakota (state record).

1936. Adolf Hitler announces construction of the Volkswagen Beetle (the People's Car, aka the Käfer/Beetle).

1942. World War II: British ruled Singapore surrenders to the Japanese.

1950. Walt Disney's animated film "Cinderella" premieres in Boston.

1961. Plane crash kills entire US figure skating team outside Brussels airport in Belgium enroute to World Championships in Prague from NYC; 73 crew and passengers (including 34 American skaters, coaches, officials, and other team members), and a farmer on the ground are lost.

1965. Red Maple Leaf Flag becomes the official flag of Canada.

1971. After 1,200 years Great Britain abandons pence & shilling system for decimal currency.

1978. Escaped mass murderer Ted Bundy recaptured, Pensacola, Florida.

1989. Soviet military occupation of Afghanistan ends as the last Soviet troops cross the Soviet-Afghan border .

1992. Jeffrey Dahmer found sane and guilty of killing 15 boys.

2005. Online video sharing site YouTube is launched in the United States by Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim.

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

399 BC. Philosopher Socrates is sentenced to death by the city of Athens for corrupting the minds of the youth of the city and for impiety.
He’d have been a cheerleader of our school boards today. [icon_lol2.gif]
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Catsumi wrote: Feb 15th, 2024, 5:27 pm

He’d have been a cheerleader of our school boards today. [icon_lol2.gif]
Right????!!!!

February 16th in History

600 Pope Gregory the Great decrees saying "God bless You" is the correct response to a sneeze

1659 First known cheque written (£400), now on display at Westminster Abbey

1840 American Charles Wilkes discovers the Shackleton Ice Shelf in Antarctica

1923 Howard Carter opens the inner burial chamber of Egyptian Pharaoh Tutankhamun's tomb and finds the sarcophagus

1926 Suzanne Lenglen defeats US champion Helen Wills in influential tennis match in Cannes, France

1938 "Bringing Up Baby" film directed by Howard Hawks, starring Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant, is released

1959 Fidel Castro becomes the 16th Prime Minister of Cuba after overthrowing Fulgencio Batista

1963 Beatles top British rock charts with "Please, Please Me"

1968 Beatles George Harrison, John Lennon and their wives fly to India for transcendental meditation study with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

2005 Kyoto Protocol comes into force following its ratification by Russia, committing industrialized nations to limit and reduce greenhouse gases
I haven't failed until I quit.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

February 17.
1600. Italian philosopher Giordano Bruno is burned alive at Campo de' Fiori in Rome, convicted of heresy by the Roman Inquisition.

1781. French astronomer Charles Messier catalogs M83 (spiral galaxy in Hydra).

1795. Thomas Seddal harvests 8.3-kg potato from his garden in Chester, England.

1876. Sardines first canned by Julius Wolff in Eastport, Maine.

1883. Arthur Ashwell patents 'vacant/engaged' toilet lock in London, England. :up:

1924. American swimmer Johnny Weissmuller sets 100m world freestyle record 57.4s at Miami, Florida.

1936. -58°F (-50°C), McIntosh, South Dakota (state record).

1938. 1st public experimental demonstration of Baird colour TV (London).

1940. Altmark Incident: Crew of the British destroyer "Cossack" board German "Altmark" in Jøssingfjord, Norway, releasing 299 British prisoners after hand-to-hand fighting with bayonets and the last recorded Royal Naval action with cutlass.

1958. Comic strip "BC" first appears.

1968. Soviet Union wins its 3rd Olympic ice hockey gold medal in Grenoble; clinch title with final round, 5-0 win over Canada.

1972. Italian tenor Luciano Pavarotti receives record 17 curtain calls after his performance in "La fille du régiment" at New York's Metropolitan Opera.

1981. Chrysler Corporation reports largest corporate losses in US history.

1995. Federal judge allows lawsuit claiming US tobacco makers knew nicotine was addictive & manipulated its levels to keep customers hooked.

2014. US Secretary of State John Kerry claims climate change requires urgent action and that only a small "window of time" remained open.

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

February 18.
1219. Jerusalem re-taken by the Christian Crusader kingdom in a peace treaty between Holy Roman Emperor Frederik II and Egyptian ruler Al-Kamil.

1478. George, Duke of Clarence, convicted of treason against his older brother Edward IV of England, is privately executed in the Tower of London (allegedly by being drowned in a butt of Malmsey wine).

1787. Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II bans children under 8 from labor.

1885. Mark Twain publishes the "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" in the US.

1899. 80°F recorded in San Francisco, California.

1908. The American ambassador to Japan is given a note by the Japanese in which they agree to restrict Japanese emigration to the US; this becomes known as the 'Gentlemen's Agreement'.

1913. French modernist painting "Nude Descending a Staircase" by Marcel Duchamp causes an uproar when shown in New York.

1928. Sonja Henie of Norway wins the women’s figure skating gold medal at the St. Moritz Winter Olympic Games; her first of 3 consecutive titles in the event.

1954. The first Church of Scientology is established in Los Angeles, California.

1965. 27 copper miners die in avalanche, Granduc Mountain, British Columbia.

1968. Britain commences a trial of year-round daylight saving time.

1973. 15th Daytona 500: Richard Petty wins his 4th Great American Race by more than 2 laps from Bobby Isaac.

1973. 54-kg octopus measuring 7m across captured in Hood Canal, Washington.

1981. 20-year-old Edmonton center Wayne Gretzky becomes first player in NHL history to score 5 career hat-tricks before age 21.

1991. Edmonton Oiler goalie Grant Fuhr returns to NHL after season-long suspension for substance abuse & shuts out NJ Devils 4-0.

2001. American stock-car racer Dale Earnhardt, Sr., died from injuries suffered during a crash in the final lap of the Daytona 500.

2013. $50 million worth of diamonds is stolen in an armed robbery at Brussels Airport, Belgium.

2022. Scientific study says the sudden drop in emissions due to COVID-19 shutdowns caused the record rainfall in eastern China in 2020 that killed hundreds.

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Feb 17th, 2024, 11:09 am
2014. US Secretary of State John Kerry claims climate change requires urgent action and that only a small "window of time" remained open.
[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
"The conservatives have rediscovered their spines! — and not just the ones that enable them to stand up straight, but the ones that make them spiky and witty and able to spar with some truly devastating confidence and humour. - Jordan Peterson
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Feb 18th, 2024, 5:07 pm
Babba_not_Gump wrote: Feb 17th, 2024, 11:09 am
[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
All the weather facts that I post are for your reading pleasure GB.

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

February 19
1600. Peruvian stratovolcano Huaynaputina explodes in the most violent eruption in South American recorded history.

1700. Last day of Julian calendar in Denmark.

1819. British explorer William Smith discovers the uninhabited South Shetland Islands, near Antarctica, claims them in the name of King George III.

1878. Thomas Edison is granted a patent for his cylinder phonograph.

1884. Enigma Outbreak" of over 60 tornadoes in Mississippi, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky and Indiana kill hundreds.

1906. Will Keith Kellogg (after falling out with brother over development credit and wanting to add sugar to cereal) joins Charles D. Bolin in founding the Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Company, now the multinational food manufacturer Kellogg's.

1910. Typhoid Mary [Mary Mallon] is freed from her first periods of forced isolation and goes on to cause several further outbreaks of typhoid in the New York area.

1913. 1st prize inserted into a Cracker Jack box.

1914. Four-year old Charlotte May Pierstorff mailed by train from Grangeville, Idaho to her grandparents’ house 73 miles away in most famous 'child in the post' instance.

1928. Canada retains the Olympic ice hockey title when they rout Switzerland, 13-0 in the final round in St. Moritz.

1942. An estimated 150 Japanese warplanes attack the Australian city of Darwin.

1945. US 5th Fleet launches invasion of Iwo Jima against the Japanese with 30,000 US Marines.

1959. USAF rocket-powered rail sled attains Mach 4.1 (4970 kph).

1963. "The Feminine Mystique" by Betty Friedan, widely credited as the start of second-wave feminism, is published.

1973. "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree" single released by Dawn featuring Tony Orlando (Billboard Song of the Year 1973).

1985. Canned & bottled Cherry Coke introduced by Coca-Cola.

1998. US hockey team destroys their rooms at Olympic village in Japan.

2004. Nazi-hunter Simon Wiesenthal is awarded an honorary knighthood in recognition of a "lifetime of service to humanity."

Return to “Grab Bag”