Click Bait news stories

A potpourri of off-topics.
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Click Bait news stories

Post by Sonny Taylor »

[Rant]: I'm very tired of reading news (or even technology stories) where the main point of the article headline is left to almost their last paragraph in the story. The stories try to build you up with sentimental details before getting to the main reporting point: What actually happened? What is this really about?

That (in my opinion) should be the first overview detail before getting into finer detail. But noooo.. you have to read the prelude before you get to the main point of the article. Oh, and then the story provides you with with little to no serious details of the event.

I've begun to read such stories from the bottom up. That gets me to the story point immediatly before reading nitty-gritty details.

Just another form of click bait.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Click Bait news stories

Post by rustled »

:up: :up:
Print publications had to make stories fit and cut from the bottom up. The most important elements of the story came first.

Today, plenty of "news" stories lead with emotional fluff instead (or the "what you need to know" - which tells us what to think to save us from having to think for ourselves and ensures readers come to the "correct" conclusion!) and the stories are often far longer than they need to be.

It seems to me if online publications are paid for the number of seconds a client's ad is on a viewer's screen, this means they are being paid more for doing the opposite of good journalism - they're paid for entertaining the reader.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

rustled wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 9:14 am :up: :up:
Print publications had to make stories fit and cut from the bottom up. The most important elements of the story came first.

Today, plenty of "news" stories lead with emotional fluff instead (or the "what you need to know" - which tells us what to think to save us from having to think for ourselves and ensures readers come to the "correct" conclusion!) and the stories are often far longer than they need to be.

It seems to me if online publications are paid for the number of seconds a client's ad is on a viewer's screen, this means they are being paid more for doing the opposite of good journalism - they're paid for entertaining the reader.
Bullseye!
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Most often I read the headlines and then move on. Not much different then one of our inmates here posting a full page of verbal diarrhea. Trying to find the answer in those is futile. I simply ignore those.

Though there is the occasional story that peaks my interest, but they're few and far between.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

rustled wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 9:14 am It seems to me if online publications are paid for the number of seconds a client's ad is on a viewer's screen, this means they are being paid more for doing the opposite of good journalism - they're paid for entertaining the reader.
:up: :up: Right on, I thought about that aspect of this as well. No more being led down the garden path for no salient point that truly interests me.

Somewhat related, I'm regularly amused by how well the internet news media can fill their pages with fluff when there's nothing truly significant happening in the news.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

bb49 wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 11:49 am Most often I read the headlines and then move on. Not much different then one of our inmates here posting a full page of verbal diarrhea.
Hey, I resemble that remark! :swear:

JK. I'm over it.
bb49 wrote:Trying to find the answer in those is futile. I simply ignore those.
:up: :up:
bb49 wrote:Though there is the occasional story that peaks my interest, but they're few and far between.
Reading the headlines is quite often misleading, though.

It's increasingly difficult to stay informed without feeling one is being misinformed.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Sonny Taylor wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 4:01 pm
rustled wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 9:14 am It seems to me if online publications are paid for the number of seconds a client's ad is on a viewer's screen, this means they are being paid more for doing the opposite of good journalism - they're paid for entertaining the reader.
:up: :up: Right on, I thought about that aspect of this as well. No more being led down the garden path for no salient point that truly interests me.

Somewhat related, I'm regularly amused by how well the internet news media can fill their pages with fluff when there's nothing truly significant happening in the news.
The 24-hour news cycle is probably responsible for some of this. It used to amaze me while travelling in the US that they constantly had news on in the restaurants etc.
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

Can you imagine a day that any news provider on the net puts up a page that says

"No significant news today; here's yesterdays page"
Old Sailor
Board Meister

Post by Old Sailor »

bb49 wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 11:49 am Not much different then one of our inmates here posting a full page of verbal diarrhea. Trying to find the answer in those is futile. I simply ignore those.
I don't read them either. Then there are the quotes of the complete posting all over again.

I didn't read the first one so why would I read the next 3 versions!

"inmates" lol
Hello Darkness my old friend...I stood up too fast again!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I use AdBlock browser (recommend!) on my phone to avoid the blasted ads. And I read quickly so I usually scroll down to where the interesting bits are in short order. Often, it isn't interesting but is something commonplace and doesn't really have anything I want to read. So, I've pretty much quit reading that type of news story.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Old Sailor wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 6:47 pm
bb49 wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 11:49 am Not much different then one of our inmates here posting a full page of verbal diarrhea. Trying to find the answer in those is futile. I simply ignore those.
I don't read them either. Then there are the quotes of the complete posting all over again.

I didn't read the first one so why would I read the next 3 versions!

"inmates" lol
You are so right! I detest that collection of quotes that were only gathered together to make some obscure, oblique and pointless point that no one else gets. They often use a full page devoted to that nonsense that disturbs the flow of the thread.

Perhaps they intend to derail.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

Lady tehMa wrote: Dec 22nd, 2022, 9:27 am So, I've pretty much quit reading that type of news story.
Maybe a little unrelated is that I'm reluctant to read news (and tech) stories where the headline contains "may have". Like "How Animals May Have Conquered Snowball Earth".

Mostly what I've read has Way too much conjecture without solidly known facts.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Sonny Taylor wrote: Dec 23rd, 2022, 10:28 pm
Lady tehMa wrote: Dec 22nd, 2022, 9:27 am So, I've pretty much quit reading that type of news story.
Maybe a little unrelated is that I'm reluctant to read news (and tech) stories where the headline contains "may have". Like "How Animals May Have Conquered Snowball Earth".

Mostly what I've read has Way too much conjecture without solidly known facts.
Well Sonny, here it is, and it looks intriguing.

https://hakaimagazine.com/news/how-anim ... all-earth/
How Animals May Have Conquered Snowball Earth
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate

Return to “Grab Bag”