Classified ads on Castanet - do they work ?

A potpourri of off-topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Classified ads on Castanet - do they work ?

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote: Mar 5th, 2023, 6:14 pm Thousands of photos later, I've sold tonnes on fb market place.

Virtually nothing on castanet. Except canning jars.
I used to have luck selling on Castanet but now prefer FB Marketplace.

I will list on both but items usually sell faster on FB. Sometimes within minutes.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yes, and with multiple people wanting it, some things I wish I had two. Especially at Christmas.

I will post on castanet to give a wider audience to certain things. But omigod, is it the phone calls they all dread? I say to call directly, I don't want to give a cell phone number out, just a landline, no texting. Personally I want a voice to go on, not just a text. But actual phone calls seem to scare the hell out of people these days. There seems to be an age divide for it. Over 45, call, no problem. 45-35, half and half but after that? Texting is all they seem to know and want.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote: Mar 5th, 2023, 6:28 pm
Queen K wrote: Mar 5th, 2023, 6:14 pm Thousands of photos later, I've sold tonnes on fb market place.

Virtually nothing on castanet. Except canning jars.
I used to have luck selling on Castanet but now prefer FB Marketplace.

I will list on both but items usually sell faster on FB. Sometimes within minutes.
I do check out Castanet classifieds, do not have a fb account so don’t check their. Also check e-bay
To many negative reviews/reports about Craigslist, don’t bother going there.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I would say Castanet was good all the way up to about 2013ish

but Facebook Marketplace dominated because of the fact that you can get instant response from the seller and know if they read your question by a notified checkmark or picture.

Unfortunatly with Castanet everything is using Email and never put your phone number in your ad.

The one thing that Castanet is better at is Garage/Yard Sales....way better than Marketplace to plan your route. But Marketplace does instant updates and sometime you can get there before anyone else can. A lot of sharks out there for Garage sales though.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I find Marketplace expedient, if you want to get rid of something, and you price it right.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
gamerguy784
Banned

Post by gamerguy784 »

Queen K wrote: Mar 5th, 2023, 6:30 pm Yes, and with multiple people wanting it, some things I wish I had two. Especially at Christmas.

I will post on castanet to give a wider audience to certain things. But omigod, is it the phone calls they all dread? I say to call directly, I don't want to give a cell phone number out, just a landline, no texting. Personally I want a voice to go on, not just a text. But actual phone calls seem to scare the hell out of people these days. There seems to be an age divide for it. Over 45, call, no problem. 45-35, half and half but after that? Texting is all they seem to know and want.
Cuz texting is so much easier and faster. There's literally no point to phone calls these days.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It's a generational thing not to be afraid to actually speak with someone.

Or,

Is it a generational thing not to be afraid to speak with someone?

Because a lot can be discerned from speaking to someone. Including if they are under a misconception about your ad, if they understand your ad, or even if they are sincere or at the very least, able to see your goods in a timely manner. I find a lot of problem resolving is better in voice contact than texting.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

I have made several purchases through the classifieds here.
gamerguy784
Banned

Post by gamerguy784 »

Queen K wrote: Mar 5th, 2023, 9:01 pm It's a generational thing not to be afraid to actually speak with someone.

Or,

Is it a generational thing not to be afraid to speak with someone?

Because a lot can be discerned from speaking to someone. Including if they are under a misconception about your ad, if they understand your ad, or even if they are sincere or at the very least, able to see your goods in a timely manner. I find a lot of problem resolving is better in voice contact than texting.
You're missing out on so many potential buyers by even mentioning a landline. It's a relic of the old world that no one wants to deal with.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

They're not buyers being scared to death to make a real phone call.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

lensbaby wrote: Mar 5th, 2023, 9:08 pm I have made several purchases through the classifieds here.
But not my stuff. :cry:
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Hmm, are to respond when I don't know what it is you are selling - product? service?
Haven't used Castanet for yrs, far better success on Marketplace and even that can be iffy at times

Also at the moment people are tapped out because of Xmas, higher costs of everything... I sell on other non local sites and it has slowed down a lot. Reckon items will move when people get their tax refunds
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I mostly use Facebook Marketplace these days but I've sold lots of things on Castanet over the years. Maybe you're asking too much, it's misclassified, or it's just not something someone wants.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote: Mar 5th, 2023, 10:50 pm
lensbaby wrote: Mar 5th, 2023, 9:08 pm I have made several purchases through the classifieds here.
But not my stuff. :cry:
Too much cat hair?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
OhMyDarlin
Fledgling

Post by OhMyDarlin »

Queen K wrote: Mar 5th, 2023, 6:30 pm I say to call directly, I don't want to give a cell phone number out, just a landline, no texting. Personally I want a voice to go on, not just a text.
This is an example of one of the four P's I wrote about earlier. Place. You are making it inconvenient for the buyer to purchase your product. Your advertising is based on YOUR needs ("I don't want to give..." : "I want a voice...") not on your potential buyer's needs. Texting is far more convenient than calling. When trying to sell a product, it doesn't matter what you think about landlines and phone calls, it only matters what your potential buyers think. And they want text or email.

Return to “Grab Bag”