Science must destroy religion

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Re: Science must destroy religion

Post by Healthyskeptic »

These Japanese twins who lived to 107 and 108, respectively, had modern healthcare to keep them alive.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsan_Ginsan
I remember their celebrity status when I lived in Japan.

The Okinawanins, in particular, live very long lives....with the help of modern medicine!!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

http://www.livescience.com/10569-human- ... years.html

But the inclusion of infant mortality rates in calculating life expectancy creates the mistaken impression that earlier generations died at a young age; Americans were not dying en masse at the age of 46 in 1907. The fact is that the maximum human lifespan — a concept often confused with "life expectancy" — has remained more or less the same for thousands of years. The idea that our ancestors routinely died young (say, at age 40) has no basis in scientific fact.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

True, and almost all of the increased life expectancy comes from improvements to infant mortality along with better sanitation. I don't know what the atheists are so wound up about. Jews, Christians, Buddhists, etc. love science just as much as atheists as far as I can tell, after all, most of the inventions that have improved our lot in life came from Christians.

It seems that the religious people understand the science better since the average Mormon in the USA lives 10 years longer than the average American. I guess they aren't so anti-science like the atheists. :200:
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Glacier wrote:True, and almost all of the increased life expectancy comes from improvements to infant mortality along with better sanitation. I don't know what the atheists are so wound up about. Jews, Christians, Buddhists, etc. love science just as much as atheists as far as I can tell, after all, most of the inventions that have improved our lot in life came from Christians.

It seems that the religious people understand the science better since the average Mormon in the USA lives 10 years longer than the average American. I guess they aren't so anti-science like the atheists. :200:

I truly love how quick you all are to jump on anyone who you feel generalizes Christians - and yet....it's fine for you to say that the Atheists are all worked up. Atheists are anti-science.
I'm not sure exactly where you come up with this stuff.

I see...one...'atheist' poster that could be considered to be 'worked up' in this thread.

I'm also not sure exactly how you came up with the statement that religious people understand science better than atheists, but it's quite a ridiculous thing to say.

As for Mormons living longer, again, where do you come up with this ?
Perhaps it comes from the fact that the LDS church continues to count it's 'members' in church records until they reach the age of 110. Then, and only then, are their names removed from the active membership numbers. And, no, they don't have to be alive to be counted...even if they die at 65, they are still active members until their 110th birthday.
Regardless, science has nothing to do with it - IF they live longer than average, it has more to do with genetics and the fact that they tend to live a healthier lifestyle - no drugs, no smoking, no drinking, etc.
Or, maybe it's due to the fact that they are the top users of antidepressants in the US.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

When religion destroys science

Bush’s stem cell decision: an attack on medical science and democratic rights

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2001/08/stem-a14.html
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Farmmaa wrote:I truly love how quick you all are to jump on anyone who you feel generalizes Christians - and yet....it's fine for you to say that the Atheists are all worked up. Atheists are anti-science.
I'm not sure exactly where you come up with this stuff.

Calm down... You do realize I was joking, right? I guess I'll have to pick a better emoticon next to get that across. :D
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I do not think that the objective of science should be to destroy or enhance religion. IMO the job of science is to attempt to identify the true facts and let each person decide the "religious issue" for themselves.

The same is true of religious people who try to distort science in order to make it fit what they believe. Terrorists and extremists are a classic example.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

- Douglas Murray
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

One day the aimless blade of science will slash the pearly gates.
To paraphrase Neil Young.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I liked the days when you had the choice of being religious but could pretty well rely on science for facts. If you could rely on science for facts nowadays, you wouldn't have this:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#195170

Thousands of scientists worldwide, including those in Canada, are planning to leave their labs and take to the streets today to rail against what they say are mounting attacks against science.

Don't wish too hard...
They say you can't believe everything they say.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”