Question about heaven

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
BigBadBen
Fledgling

Question about heaven

Post by BigBadBen »

So if there were a man and wife, and the wife tragically passes, she goes to heaven. The man remarries after some years and then too passes and goes to heaven.

What happens when the second wife passes? That would be a little awkward when she gets to heaven. He'll have some explaining to do.

If you can have two wives in heaven, forgive me, but I'd rather go the other direction.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Question about heaven

Post by Bsuds »

BigBadBen wrote: Dec 9th, 2023, 5:21 pm
If you can have two wives in heaven, forgive me, but I'd rather go the other direction.
I suspect that's where most of my friends are anyway, so not a problem for me.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

There is no heaven and no hell. Like a wave crashing on the beach and then ceases to exist as the water it was made of returns to the ocean it was always a part of, our conscious energy will return to the universal consciousness that, according to quantum physics, it was always a part of. Our self identity will be gone and we will once again be one with the universe from whence we were created.
When you put Fancy on your ignore list you are well past
the time you should be looking at your own behavior.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

steven lloyd wrote: Dec 10th, 2023, 3:47 am There is no heaven and no hell. Like a wave crashing on the beach and then ceases to exist as the water it was made of returns to the ocean it was always a part of, our conscious energy will return to the universal consciousness that, according to quantum physics, it was always a part of. Our self identity will be gone and we will once again be one with the universe from whence we were created.
I much prefer this sentiment.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

BigBadBen wrote: Dec 9th, 2023, 5:21 pm If you can have two wives in heaven, forgive me, but I'd rather go the other direction.
Simply, nobody here knows what happens after we die. We can be told by all sorts of people of different faiths, and from the faithless, but everyone may just as easily be wrong as any of them might be right.

Live your best live, do things for the people you love, and when your time comes, you'll find out who was right, or you won't.
obtunded

Post by obtunded »

BigBadBen wrote: Dec 9th, 2023, 5:21 pm So if there were a man and wife, and the wife tragically passes, she goes to heaven. The man remarries after some years and then too passes and goes to heaven.

What happens when the second wife passes? That would be a little awkward when she gets to heaven. He'll have some explaining to do.

Children come into this world free of religious indoctrination. It is their upbringing that introduces this illogical and superstitious nonsense; it is a disease spread largely by parents. Heaven exists only as text in poorly written old books and has no basis in reality. Consciousness is merely an extremely complex network of neurochemistry, and when we die, those cells cease to function, and we cease to exist as a living person. Instead of worrying about what happens after you die, take advantage of what limited time we have the opportunity to live!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

After asking people about their Near Death experiences I discovered that everyone has a different route.
Sometimes it's up a worn staircase, or a tunnel of light, or they flash around seeing people in their lives or can float atop and see what is happening to their bodies and who is there doing what.

I stopped asking because the BEST was "there are flowers and colours and animals we've not got here on Earth."

Who really has the real answer?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Queen K wrote: Dec 11th, 2023, 11:05 am After asking people about their Near Death experiences I discovered that everyone has a different route.
Sometimes it's up a worn staircase, or a tunnel of light, or they flash around seeing people in their lives or can float atop and see what is happening to their bodies and who is there doing what.

I stopped asking because the BEST was "there are flowers and colours and animals we've not got here on Earth."

Who really has the real answer?
If there's a god, then he might know.
We have a designation for the group of people who don't "know" if there's a god. It's called the Agnostic. However, isn't that all of us? None of us even know if there's a god. Knowing that we don't know if there's a god at all, I find it quite interesting that people want to know more about things that we don't know even exist. God, heaven, hell.

Sounds kind of like we're asking for the flavor of sweets that 3 legged aliens might make. Can be fun to guess, but we'll never know.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

BigBadBen wrote: Dec 9th, 2023, 5:21 pm So if there were a man and wife, and the wife tragically passes, she goes to heaven. The man remarries after some years and then too passes and goes to heaven.

There is no marriage in heaven (according to Christianity). The myth, the man, the legend himself, Jesus Christ even said so when asked this very question.

Of course, if Islam is true, you get 72 virgins whom you can deflower all in one night. And get up and go do it all over again the next day.

The only reason men want to marry is for the exclusive right to bone a hawt chick. Take away the testosterone and other hormones and the man looks at a woman like a sister.

No hormones in heaven so no romantic love. Platonic love is deeper so maybe that's okay.

No one really knows what heaven is like. Only one way to find out, and I plan not to find out any time soon. Let the mystery be.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
BigBadBen
Fledgling

Post by BigBadBen »

I, like most folks here apparently, do not believe in God. Belief in God was not my question.

Having recently attended the funeral of my father-in-law who had remarried, I was curious how the believer would resolve this theoretical dilemma.

It appears that Glacier is on the right track.

I posed this question to the priest and his answer is below.

"Jesus himself gave the answer to this question by a Sadducees. Please open the Bible of St. Mark, chapter 12: 18-27 and read, study it and pray with it.
On earth, marriage reflects the spousal love of Christ and his Bride, the Church. In Heaven, given the exalted love in seeing God face to face, there will be no marriage in the earthly sense of the word."
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

youjustcomplain wrote: Dec 11th, 2023, 11:56 am If there's a god, then he might know.
We have a designation for the group of people who don't "know" if there's a god. It's called the Agnostic. However, isn't that all of us? None of us even know if there's a god. Knowing that we don't know if there's a god at all, I find it quite interesting that people want to know more about things that we don't know even exist. God, heaven, hell.

Sounds kind of like we're asking for the flavor of sweets that 3 legged aliens might make. Can be fun to guess, but we'll never know.
By the very definition of the word I am an agnostic in that I believe God is unknowable. Still, I do find it intriguing to hypothesize what the nature of God would be if It does exist. For me any idea would have to be consistent with scientific knowledge so I long ago dismissed any notions of a distinct supreme Deity such as held by many religions. Instead, I've looked to the theories of quantum physics and investigations of Buddhist philosophy to form a different understanding.

Quantum physics theory tells us that everything, literally everything (all energy and all matter) is connected at a subatomic level across an infinite universe and an infinite number of universes. It makes sense to postulate there is some sort of purposeful force (purposeful like gravity has purpose) forming and holding that connection.

We know that consciousness is energy and we have evidence (I have posted in other threads) it can exist outside of the body and is more than just a simple neurochemical process. We also know that while energy cannot be destroyed, it can be changed - for example, consciousness to non-consciousness.

This is consistent with Buddhist philosophy. Buddhists do not believe in a God, nor do they believe in a soul or in a heaven or a hell. They do engage in prayer and meditation but both are practiced to seek enlightenment; that is, a better understanding of truth, release from the bondage of self, and a closer conscious contact with the universal consciousness

In talking about what happens after we die I like the Buddhist perspective that provides the analogy of a wave on the ocean. Like a wave we exist in a distinct state only temporarily, but like the water in a wave still being connected to and a part of the ocean, so is the energy of our consciousness still connected to and a part of the energy of the universe. Our temporary reality is but a perception and when we die, like a wave crashing on the beach we simply become one with everything again. This would be consistent with the theories of quantum physics.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There is a school of thought that heaven and hell are not "after death" concepts, but the real time results of the way we live our lives on earth.
"The cleverest ruse of the Devil is to persuade you he does not exist."
- Charles Baudelaire, 1864
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The ideas of heaven and hell are interesting to think about. Personally, I throw out everything I've been taught and try to work backwards from what an all-loving all-powerful God would do. Obviously if you work from the premise there is no God or the God is evil, you come to a different conclusion, but working on the assumption of a just and loving God, it makes the most sense to me that someone gets to choose after death where they go, especially if they were raised in an extremely abusive situation isolated from even the concept of love.

Here is a live stream discussion between two Christians and an atheist about such matters. They tend to agree with me that you can choose after death what happens to you. That God doesn't send you to Hell, but you choose. Also, the idea of eternal torment seems off too. Hell is a place where you are eventually annihilated in the view of the speakers here. That makes sense to me. Heaven is where you go for eternal life. Where that is or what that means is really not something I can pretend to grasp.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Glacier wrote: Dec 12th, 2023, 9:59 am Heaven is where you go for eternal life. Where that is or what that means is really not something I can pretend to grasp.
Hope there is a nice golf course - or maybe two or three. Might get bored playing the same course every day for eternity.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Glacier wrote: Dec 12th, 2023, 9:59 am The ideas of heaven and hell are interesting to think about. Personally, I throw out everything I've been taught and try to work backwards from what an all-loving all-powerful God would do. Obviously if you work from the premise there is no God or the God is evil, you come to a different conclusion, but working on the assumption of a just and loving God, it makes the most sense to me that someone gets to choose after death where they go, especially if they were raised in an extremely abusive situation isolated from even the concept of love.

Here is a live stream discussion between two Christians and an atheist about such matters. They tend to agree with me that you can choose after death what happens to you. That God doesn't send you to Hell, but you choose. Also, the idea of eternal torment seems off too. Hell is a place where you are eventually annihilated in the view of the speakers here. That makes sense to me. Heaven is where you go for eternal life. Where that is or what that means is really not something I can pretend to grasp.
Simply, when most of us die, if we're given the choice to have everlasting life in Heaven full of love, we'd choose that over the alternative. However, it's still a bit leap to know that we'd be living a good "after life". Would we be restored to a time in our early 20's when things were better? Maybe that time was younger or older than that. Maybe this heaven is experienced by the body and mind we have when we died? How about the severely demented people, who makes the decision of ever lasting live and love in Heaven for them?

I'm not looking forward to my death by any means, but when it happens, I hope it's final. I don't want to be stuck being forced to remain alive somehow, for eternity. Whether I want that or not, it will or won't happen.

I find it curious the mental gymnastics people will do to avoid accepting that they will die and cease to exist someday.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”