Doctrine from the Book of Mormon

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Boda wrote:
CoffeeCanuck wrote:
cerealkiller wrote:CC, please think for a second. How would Atheism exist without religion?
We understand that an open debate can be annoying and embarrassing for some believers but atheism is as much part of religion as is praying. I discuss almost exclusively religion and not Atheism, and so do most other heathens. There is really nothing much to discuss about Atheism anyway: Atheists don't believe any supernatural claims. We don't believe what you believe and have a right to say so without being belittled and or insulted.

I stand by what I say. You need your own forum. Then if there are believers who want to go in and debate with you, have at er. Some of us simply want to discuss our different beliefs without you interjecting and ruining every decent discussion.

~D

So, then you'll need to establish a list of posters who are and are not allowed to partake in the discussion on your "sub-forum"

Or, at least a list of topics permited to be discussed on your "sub-forum"

How will you regulate it? Are the moderators qualified to determine who's opinions you'll want to discuss in your "sub-forum"? Will the posters disqualified from the discussion still be allowed to read your posts?

CK and others that post in the same 'style' (insults, personal attacks) are easily disqualified from posting in Religion and Philosophy.
soulstice

Post by soulstice »

BriTer wrote:
CoffeeCanuck wrote: I stand by what I say. You need your own forum. Then if there are believers who want to go in and debate with you, have at er. Some of us simply want to discuss our different beliefs without you interjecting and ruining every decent discussion.

~D

I tried that here, not my beliefs but those of others and within a half dozen posts the insults started by good old cerealkiller. So I left :)
Seems CK doesn't have a clue as to what 'debate' and 'discuss' is.

New rules of the board: All comments are allowed unless they are disallowed. Posts in favour of religion and faith are welcome, otherwise please go somewhere else.
Censorship and muzzling are alive and well, keep up the good work.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

soulstice wrote: New rules of the board: All comments are allowed unless they are disallowed. Posts in favour of religion and faith are welcome, otherwise please go somewhere else.

Nope, wrong again. ALL comments (or most of them) are allowed in Religeon and Philosphy. Even people like CK :)
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

soulstice wrote:New rules of the board: All comments are allowed unless they are disallowed. Posts in favour of religion and faith are welcome, otherwise please go somewhere else.

care to show me exactly where that is? i must have missed it.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
soulstice

Post by soulstice »

BriTer wrote:
soulstice wrote: New rules of the board: All comments are allowed unless they are disallowed. Posts in favour of religion and faith are welcome, otherwise please go somewhere else.

Nope, wrong again. ALL comments (or most of them) are allowed in Religeon and Philosphy. Even people like CK :)

If they are willing to take all the abuse that comes with it.

care to show me exactly where that is? i must have missed it.

The continuous attempts to silence certain posters are evident. I only suggested to make the unofficial rules 'official'. :124:
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:lol: no where is anyone being silenced. try again.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

soulstice wrote:The continuous attempts to silence certain posters are evident. I only suggested to make the unofficial rules 'official'. :124:

The 'unofficial' rules are pretty much 'official' as it is, otherwise people like ck wouldn't be allowed to post here :)

The continuous attempts to silence certain posters are evident.
Absolutely, no doubt about that. We are in complete agreement there. There have been an incredible number of complaints about certain poster(s)
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Boda wrote:So, then you'll need to establish a list of posters who are and are not allowed to partake in the discussion on your "sub-forum"

Or, at least a list of topics permited to be discussed on your "sub-forum"

How will you regulate it? Are the moderators qualified to determine who's opinions you'll want to discuss in your "sub-forum"? Will the posters disqualified from the discussion still be allowed to read your posts?

I'm really hoping you are intentionally being obtuse. Having sub forums is a good idea (I think) and one that I believe could work. Many of us faithful have little desire to partake in constant exchanges of barbs and digs with the athiests. We simply wish to discuss our own personal beliefs and experiences, learn from each other, gain insight and understanding at where a person is comming from. An example of this is: I am not a Morman, however I find it interesting to learn about their different teachings. When discussing issues of their docterine I have no desire to prove them wrong and my belief is right, which always seems to happen with the athiest postings. I get it, you guys/gals have a right to your opinion and want to debate it. All I'm saying is you should have your own sub forum to do so and stop taking over and disrupting every decent discussion that tries to take place. I think there could easily be a few different sub forums under the Religion forum that could satisfy everyone.

Ned, this has nothing to do with your thread title and for that I apologize. :124:

~D
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

soulstice wrote:New rules of the board: All comments are allowed unless they are disallowed. Posts in favour of religion and faith are welcome, otherwise please go somewhere else.

Oh please! :-({|=

This has nothing to do with censorship so dont even go there. This is after all an 'interdenominational religion forum', not an athiest forum. Like I said, I think there should be a sub forum for non-believers. There you can post and debate to your hearts content. I understand there are believers who also love to debate and push their views, however I believe most of us simply want to have meaningful discussions without some loudmouth continually spouting off.

I also realize that we can contact a mod to have our thread heavily moderated so that it is not over taken, I did that once. The thing is, we shouldn't have to put out a warning with every new discussion we want to open up.

~D
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

First off, atheism is not a religion. Its a closer to philosophy, or even secular humanism. The world has through the centuries been made wealthier for the contributions of atheists and like-minded free-thinkers Think Copernicus, Newton, da Vinci, Darwin, Madison, Jefferson, Lincoln, Twain, Einstein...and so many more.

As and athiest I am skeptical of untested claims to knowledge, particularly of the supernatural or superstitious variety. I believe in the use of reason and science to understand the universe, and I am open to novel ideas and new ways of thinking.

The sky-god religions have their schemes all worked out. They are not interested in feedback to make their plan better, or more workable, or closer to the truth. For them their plan is the revealed word of their god and no meddling will be tolerated. It is a top-down, hierarchical, ordered scheme of instruction on how and what each and everyone is to do for the aggrandizement of their organization and eventual containment of all humanity, or of their desired segment of humanity and death and destruction for the remainder. Period.

Atheism is not like religions because it is based on a continuous search for new truth, new empirical observations of the universe, new feedback loops that at any time can and will change or cancel the old order and produce new information, new elements, new paradigms with differences in all but one aspect. There will always be the element of information feedback. So if this is a religion it is a religion with an escape hatch from stagnation of the status quo like no other.

Knowledge gained is both internalized and passed to others who will listen. There is no element of evangelizing except to say it’s wrong to be pressed by others with theistic evangelism.

A true atheist will observe facts and evaluate, even if offered that evidence by the religious. They must be new facts, not the same old BS as has been chanted before, ad nauseam, and no time will be wasted on obvious drivel. But if it were to be scientifically proved that God exists then it would be accepted by any atheist worth his/her salt and the revelation would institute a new paradigm of spirituality.

Think free and free yourself.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

soulra, that's a great post. Ideally it would work but in actual practice on these threads it doesn't because of the personal attacks and insults by the likes of your buddy ck. It no longer becomes a discussion.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

I don't attack. I don't call people names. What's your glitch?
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

soulra wrote:I don't attack. I don't call people names. What's your glitch?

I know you don't and I've enjoyed those of your post that I have read. Unfortunately way too many people (like ck) don't have the ability to post as you do, without the insults and name calling.

I don't follow a particular religion as far as beliefs go, I don't speak in favor of one side or the other. Religion and Philosophy has become a place where discussion and request for information is discouraged.

I'd like very much to learn more about what you believe/don't believe, but I won't. Too much garbage to wade through first.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I don't mind reading the atheist viewpoint at all, it's the manner in which it's presented that seems to be the problem... but it's been pointed out to ck more times than I care to remember, and nothing's changed.

On the other hand, if you were an outsider and wanted to see how religion and atheism affected people, you could step back and look at both sides...

It seems the religious side all have different beliefs, yet I have never seen one belittling the other because of it, or even belittling atheism... ck belittles constantly, and the attitude of he and soulra are basically that they're right and there's no question about it, even though both seem to have the exact opinions you can find on any religious-hate website.

The religious posters seem far more well-rounded as far as their concerns for other things that affect us on other posts that don't have to do with religion... every post from ck and soulra are about cutting down religion.

To be an outsider and read how ck says religion promotes hatred, yet he seems to be the one so full of hate... it's all food for thought. There are a great many views on the religious posts, if I knew nothing about religion or atheism, I would go towards religion just from reading the attitudes of the posters... fortunately, I know I can't judge all by a few.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

zzontar wrote:
(quote)
"On the other hand, if you were an outsider and wanted to see how religion and atheism affected people, you could step back and look at both sides..."(quote)

Zzontar, thats what I've been trying to do these last few months. Difference is I've acquired an opposing view to your conclusion.

As I've posted before I see negative or heated replies from both sides of the argument, but the conversations generally deteriorate when logical questions are asked and the religious can't answer.

It seems to be at this point we read about accusations of hatred, & belittling from ahteists.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”