Religious hypocrisy

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Postby bdbnkr » Feb 13th, 2008, 5:34 pm

dudlee wrote:My experience with religion has proven to me ,wholeheartedly that faith is mine and religion is man made, and is also a multi billion dollar business.

That is not entirely fair. There are a lot of religious groups that do great things. There are very few that are actually "making" money. I cannot speak for other faiths but most Christian Churches make barely enough to cover their overhead expenses and the cost of their ministries.

Religion can be defined as:
a notion of the transcendent or numinous, often, but not always, in the form of theism
a cultural or behavioural aspect of ritual, liturgy and organized worship, often involving a priesthood, and societal norms of morality (ethos) and virtue (arete)
a set of myths or sacred truths held in reverence or believed by adherents

Basically it is a group of people with a similar concept of their faith who gather for fellowship, worship and to co-operate in service (various charitable and/or evangelical activities).

I agree faith is personal, but there is nothing wrong with wanting to gather with like minded people to celebrate that faith.
bdbnkr

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby dudlee » Feb 13th, 2008, 10:36 pm

bdbnkr wrote:
dudlee wrote:My experience with religion has proven to me ,wholeheartedly that faith is mine and religion is man made, and is also a multi billion dollar business.

That is not entirely fair. There are a lot of religious groups that do great things. There are very few that are actually "making" money. I cannot speak for other faiths but most Christian Churches make barely enough to cover their overhead expenses and the cost of their ministries.

a notion of the transcendent or numinous, often, but not always, in the form of theism
a cultural or behavioural aspect of ritual, liturgy and organized worship, often involving a priesthood, and societal norms of morality (ethos) and virtue (arete)

Basically it is a group of people with a similar concept of their faith who gather for fellowship, worship and to co-operate in service (various charitable and/or evangelical activities).

I agree faith is personal, but there is nothing wrong with wanting to gather with like minded people to celebrate that faith.

And I totally agree with you on that point :130:
dudlee
Übergod

Liked in: 19 posts

Postby Nebula » Feb 13th, 2008, 10:43 pm

bdbnkr wrote:

That is not entirely fair.

The statement may not be taken as fair by some but it is certainly more than accurate. The grocery business is a multi-billion dollar business but that doesn't mean the owners of every mom and pop store are rich.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 125 posts

Postby bdbnkr » Feb 14th, 2008, 12:56 am

writerdave wrote:
bdbnkr wrote:

The statement may not be taken as fair by some but it is certainly more than accurate. The grocery business is a multi-billion dollar business but that doesn't mean the owners of every mom and pop store are rich.

True enough if you are considering the money that flows through the various religios organizations of the world. However I think the statement as it was made paints all religious organizations as being out to make money which is not true. The owners of a mom and pop store are in business for profit whether they actually make one or not. Most religious organizations are not trying to make a profit. There are exceptions of course... but as a general rule they use money brought in to fund their ministries.
bdbnkr

Postby Nebula » Feb 14th, 2008, 12:57 am

bdbnkr wrote:
writerdave wrote:
bdbnkr wrote:

True enough if you are considering the money that flows through the various religios organizations of the world. However I think the statement as it was made paints all religious organizations as being out to make money which is not true. The owners of a mom and pop store are in business for profit whether they actually make one or not. Most religious organizations are not trying to make a profit. There are exceptions of course... but as a general rule they use money brought in to fund their ministries.

Yes, and the odd mansion, beamer, Rolex, etc.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Postby bdbnkr » Feb 14th, 2008, 1:36 am

Writerdave... I am starting to think you are just trying to get me worked up......... :smt064
bdbnkr

Postby Nebula » Feb 14th, 2008, 9:28 am

bdbnkr wrote:Writerdave... I am starting to think you are just trying to get me worked up......... :smt064

Come on, bdbnkr. I'm not goading you but I am poking a bit of fun at the situation. I would hope you would admit there have been enough instances (basically down south) where leaders of churches (evangelical in nature) have had their spending practices brought to light and they sure didn't seem entirely philanthropic in nature.

I never used the word 'all'.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Postby bdbnkr » Feb 14th, 2008, 10:07 am

writerdave wrote:
bdbnkr wrote:Writerdave... I am starting to think you are just trying to get me worked up......... :smt064

Come on, bdbnkr. I'm not goading you but I am poking a bit of fun at the situation. I would hope you would admit there have been enough instances (basically down south) where leaders of churches (evangelical in nature) have had their spending practices brought to light and they sure didn't seem entirely philanthropic in nature.

I never used the word 'all'.

I can definately conceed that point... but I think that is more the exception than the rule.

I had a good cry last night over all of your fun poking... :smt088

All out of my system now. Good to go again.
bdbnkr

Re: Religious hypocrisy

Postby dudlee » Feb 19th, 2008, 9:47 am

Religious hypocrisy, I love the name of this thread.
Religion, man made, hypocrisy, to say one thing and do another.
You could almost call it " THE HISTORY OF MAN" =D>
"A lie stated over a long enough period of time, becomes the truth" Adolf Hitler. But I say , "A half truth is a lie and there is always two sides to a story, but only one truth"
dudlee
Übergod

Liked in: 19 posts

Re:

Postby sooperphreek » Mar 8th, 2008, 12:57 pm

bdbnkr wrote:

im sorry that actions speak louder than words and peoples perceptions seem unfair in your minds eye but being passionate about your beliefs doesnt make a difference to people when they see what organized religion has done. and yes you can say that you try and that you havent done anything wrong and blah blah blah. but that just means that you are invisible and havent put your faith into enough action to be under any substancial scrutiny. but the church you go to is a beacon in the community that people have no time for because they only care about themselves.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 411 posts

Re:

Postby Able » Apr 22nd, 2018, 1:36 pm

bdbnkr wrote:

Are you saying that myths can be sacred truths? There are no sacred truths which just leaves myths which is the only basis for religion.
I like a good fiction novel {as the bible is} as much as the next person but when I finish reading it I don't pray to the protagonist.
Sometimes you eat the bear.....sometimes the bear eats you.
Able
Fledgling

Liked in: 60 posts

Re: Re:

Postby Glacier » Apr 27th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Bull Goose Looney wrote:Are you saying that myths can be sacred truths? There are no sacred truths which just leaves myths which is the only basis for religion.
I like a good fiction novel {as the bible is} as much as the next person but when I finish reading it I don't pray to the protagonist.

That's what Jordan Peterson believes. He doesn't know if Jesus existed, etc., but he says there are sacred truths in Christianity and all the other religions (with the possible exception of Islam).
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12746 posts

Previous

Return to Religion & Spirituality