Letter to the Editor "Thank you, Castanet"

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Actually I don't feel that Struts should limit any of his posts here.
Anyone with such a pessimistic outlook on life needs an outlet for fear of causing themselves severe physical damage due to pent up anxiety.

Rant away Struts it's good for your heart. You shouldn't keep all that bottled up.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Post by Struts 'N' Stuff Auto »

onestop67 wrote:The way I see it, you are very much a minority in most of your opinions and that causes other posters to start replying the way they do.

The constant negative complaining posts do get boring after awhile.

Actually they are positive to me, and only negative to those who are part of the problems I am discussing!
And, my opinions at least get people thinking, unlike others that are merely attacks against other users!
Boring Threads? I doubt it!
Real threads about real issues that need real solutions maybe, but far from boring. And if they are boring, select another thread!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

just so you don't feel like you are being treated differently today...

:smt064

:lol:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Nom_de_Plume wrote:Actually I don't feel that Struts should limit any of his posts here.
Anyone with such a pessimistic outlook on life needs an outlet for fear of causing themselves severe physical damage due to pent up anxiety.

Rant away Struts it's good for your heart. You shouldn't keep all that bottled up.

Actually, I don't keep anything bottled up!
Isn't there anyone who can look at the problems in this City and deal with them as Caring Citizens? Why must everybody look at the problems as me whining? If the problems didn't exist, we would only have a Forum based on what we did for fun!

And, don't read the news either, it is full of Negative stuff, and yet people crave it!
tikbor
Fledgling

Post by tikbor »

Many, many Yuletide/Christmas Season traditions are from pagen times (not wiccan, from what I understand). In any event, if you are not celebrating the birth of Christ, you shouldn't be calling it Christmas. I wish everyone Merry Christmas - it's what I celebrate, and if another doesn't like it (or if I happen to be privvy to the fact they don't celebrate Christ's birth) then I try to remember not to, out of respect. However, most people I know aren't concerned if I wish them Merry Christmas as they know the history behind the holiday and don't take offence at the mention of Christ. If someone wishes me Happy Hanukah (forgive me if I've muffed up the spelling of that), I don't freak out or anything; I accept that they have different beliefs than I do, which is fine. But this business of celebrating Christmas with no Christ in it is bunk - if you're that offended, give the holiday another name that reflects your beliefs (or not).

FYI, Jehovah's Witnesses believe Christ was a prophet. Jewish people are still waiting for the Messiah (that's where old & new testaments in the Bible differ - Christains accept that Christ is the Savior, Jewish people do not; up to that point, the history is one & the same.

AND most of Canada's culture (save for first nations) were Christian long before we started with all this polical correctness. I'm all for multi-culturalism and learning about different cultures and religions. I'd rather we celebrated it all than to chastise anyone who's parents and grandparents and greatgrandparents made Canada what it is for saying Merry Christmas. I get really annoyed at being told to shut up about my beliefs (and my dad & granddad fought in the two world wars for Canada & it's freedoms) but accept without question swords in schools as part of traditional religious gear. You want to wear a turban and can't wear a helmut while bicyling? Fine, just don't expect me to pay for your care when you get a brain injury that maims you for life.

Happy Holidays to you, Unfazed - but research your traditions thouroughly before trying to knock the Christ out of Christmas (which means Mass celebrating the birth of Christ, incidentally).
Crying-Angel
Lord of the Board

Post by Crying-Angel »

There are those of the Orthodox Faith who celebrate Christmas on Jan 7th as well. :140:

Growing up was wonderful! We had the Canadian Christmas, plus we celebrated our Ukrainian Christmas in January. The latter was celebrated with the feast (not more gifts) but, oh what a traditional feast it is. MMMMM.
Sometimes the thoughts in
my head actually get out...

This is rarely a good thing
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Featherbrain wrote:There are those of the Orthodox Faith who celebrate Christmas on Jan 7th as well. :140:

Growing up was wonderful! We had the Canadian Christmas, plus we celebrated our Ukrainian Christmas in January. The latter was celebrated with the feast (not more gifts) but, oh what a traditional feast it is. MMMMM.

Ukrainian Christmas was the best!
Mom used to make a meal big enough to feed an army, and she would start 3 days before Uk X-mas.
Pyrogies, Cheese Buns, Mashed beans in Garlic, Beets & mushrooms, 3 different types of Cabbage rolls, Ham, Turkey, etc. etc. , and a cup of crushed Garlic on the table just incase you want to O.D. on it!

Anybody and everybody was invited to our place, and the feast went on for 3 days. Orthodox Christmas was definately a time for family, friends and a feast. The gift part was basically non existent!
The gifts were bottles of wine or booze brought over, and of course, the ones who brought them, were doing most of the drinking!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

'kay...so i am putting Featherbrain and Struts in charge of a get together in January! :lol:

...now i'm hungry... :smt090
― Albert Einstein
Crying-Angel
Lord of the Board

Post by Crying-Angel »

Ours was the meatless feast. So we had Salmon. And Sauerkraut Rolls, Creamed mushrooms, borscht, nachinka (sp) and lots more...
Sometimes the thoughts in
my head actually get out...

This is rarely a good thing
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

okay. what time??? what day??? :lol:
― Albert Einstein
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

An interesting side note to the "When was Christ born" thingy...
The LDS church believes Christ's birth was on April 6th. This given through revelation to Joseph Smith as he was organizing the church. Church leaders have encouraged members to continue with the historic celebration of Dec. 25th.

It is indeed true that if the shephers were in the fields keeping watch over their flocks by night, it was unlikely that it was Dec. 25th. Doesn't matter though as long as we celebrate the birth of our Saviour.
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Featherbrain wrote:Ours was the meatless feast. So we had Salmon. And Sauerkraut Rolls, Creamed mushrooms, borscht, nachinka (sp) and lots more...

The meatless Feast is Christmas Eve, January 6th.
Christmas Day, Jan 7th you can eat anything!
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

tikbor wrote:Many, many Yuletide/Christmas Season traditions are from pagen times (not wiccan, from what I understand). In any event, if you are not celebrating the birth of Christ, you shouldn't be calling it Christmas. I wish everyone Merry Christmas - it's what I celebrate, and if another doesn't like it (or if I happen to be privvy to the fact they don't celebrate Christ's birth) then I try to remember not to, out of respect. However, most people I know aren't concerned if I wish them Merry Christmas as they know the history behind the holiday and don't take offence at the mention of Christ. If someone wishes me Happy Hanukah (forgive me if I've muffed up the spelling of that), I don't freak out or anything; I accept that they have different beliefs than I do, which is fine. But this business of celebrating Christmas with no Christ in it is bunk - if you're that offended, give the holiday another name that reflects your beliefs (or not).

FYI, Jehovah's Witnesses believe Christ was a prophet. Jewish people are still waiting for the Messiah (that's where old & new testaments in the Bible differ - Christains accept that Christ is the Savior, Jewish people do not; up to that point, the history is one & the same.

AND most of Canada's culture (save for first nations) were Christian long before we started with all this polical correctness. I'm all for multi-culturalism and learning about different cultures and religions. I'd rather we celebrated it all than to chastise anyone who's parents and grandparents and greatgrandparents made Canada what it is for saying Merry Christmas. I get really annoyed at being told to shut up about my beliefs (and my dad & granddad fought in the two world wars for Canada & it's freedoms) but accept without question swords in schools as part of traditional religious gear. You want to wear a turban and can't wear a helmut while bicyling? Fine, just don't expect me to pay for your care when you get a brain injury that maims you for life.

Happy Holidays to you, Unfazed - but research your traditions thouroughly before trying to knock the Christ out of Christmas (which means Mass celebrating the birth of Christ, incidentally).

What is wrong with my family wearing a turban while cycling? Are you racist as well???
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

must be. tikbor hates the Turbanites. :127:

the point being made: some religions require males to wear certain things on their heads SO, they don't have to wear a helmet, like everyone else, when they ride a bike. however, it is somehow a horrible insult to a few that there are people that say Merry Christmas.
― Albert Einstein
tikbor
Fledgling

Post by tikbor »

I don't hate anyone, save maybe for KKK, Nazis, and that sort of scum. I do resent having to make exceptions to rules (like helmuts for cyclists) because of a turban (actually, I don't resent the turban - power to you, Canada is a far more-interesting place for it's mix of cultures) - BUT - don't ask me to pay your medical or maintenance bills if you get badly hurt (anymore than a woman who wrote into the editor that her hair is 'too big' for a helmut and she can't wear one [give me a flippin' break!!!]) I'm not too keen on swords worn in schools or even in public, at least not sharp ones - for safety reasons (heat of the moment, stupidity, that sort of thing).

I do resent losing my heritage - that Canada was built on - and having to refrain from saying Merry Christmas as a general rule - that's just not fair; if I lived in another country I would respect thier general culture and customs - why do we water down ours??? Canada is losing itself to political correctness...just ask any 'differently abled' person (insert sarcasm here) who used to be disabled, before that handicapped, before that crippled, etc. etc. etc...

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”