Jesus

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3171
Joined: May 17th, 2007, 5:22 am

Re: Jesus

Post by hellomynameis »

"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
RR24K
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3832
Joined: Sep 20th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Re: Jesus

Post by RR24K »

I wish Apologize to the everyone in this thread for my attack on "fundyfisherman".

To "fundyfisherman" I am sorry it was uncalled for.


I have little challenge to those who study the bible or not. Most if not all nursery rhyme's are born out of the bible story's. Here is my challenge can anyone tell me which bible story is told thru the nursery rhyme "Rub-A-Dub-Dub Three men in a tub".
User avatar
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12554
Joined: Jun 6th, 2007, 8:43 pm

Re: Jesus

Post by Piecemaker »

Rub-a-dub-dub...Peter, James and John fishing with their nets coming up empty and then Jesus come along and tells them to cast their net on the other side...and when they did, it came up full???

P.S. Big of you to apologize RR.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
RR24K
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3832
Joined: Sep 20th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Re: Jesus

Post by RR24K »

Piecemaker wrote: Rub-a-dub-dub...Peter, James and John fishing with their nets coming up empty and then Jesus come along and tells them to cast their net on the other side...and when they did, it came up full???


Good try "Piecemaker", but try again.


Rub-a-dub-dub,

Three men in a tub;

And who do you think they be?

The butcher, the baker,

The candlestick-maker;
User avatar
Born_again
Guru
Posts: 5352
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 2:21 am

Re: Jesus

Post by Born_again »

roadrunner24k wrote:I wish Apologize to the everyone in this thread for my attack on "fundyfisherman".

To "fundyfisherman" I am sorry it was uncalled for.



Kudos, dude!

While we are apologising, I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise on behalf of the closed-minded ones, myself included, that keep Steven Lloyd from making meaningful posts. :dyinglaughing:

steven lloyd wrote:..... but hesitate to openly discuss many things on this thread because of the close-mindedness of some others.
:coffeecanuck: :eyeballspin:
Image
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35845
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Jesus

Post by Glacier »

roadrunner24k wrote: Most if not all nursery rhyme's are born out of the bible story's.

Huh?? how did you come up with that?...http://www.rhymes.org.uk/
roadrunner24k wrote:Here is my challenge can anyone tell me which bible story is told thru the nursery rhyme "Rub-A-Dub-Dub Three men in a tub".

Here is your answer...
A sideshow attraction at local fairs used to be three maids in a tub who were presumably unclothed and were featured in an early version of this rhyme. It’s possible this rhyme made fun of the men who enjoyed visiting them! [1]


The earliest versions of this rhyme published differ significantly in their wording. The first recorded version is in Christmas Box published in London in 1798 has similar wording to that in Mother Goose's Quarto or Melodies Complete, published in Boston, Massachusetts around 1825, which had the following version:

Hey! rub-a-dub, ho! rub-a-dub, three maids in a tub,
And who do you think were there?
The butcher, the baker, the candlestick-maker,
And all of them gone to the fair.

This led Iona and Peter Opie to conclude that they were three respectable townsfolk "watching a dubious sideshow at a local fair".

By around 1830 the reference to maids was being removed from the versions printed in nursery books. In 1842 James Orchard Halliwell collected the following version:

Rub a dub dub,
Three men in a tub,
And who do you think they be?
The butcher, the baker,
The candlestick maker.
Turn them out, knaves all three. [2]


[1] http://nurseryrhymes.allinfoabout.com/rub-a-dub-dub
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rub-a-dub-dub
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
RR24K
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3832
Joined: Sep 20th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Re: Jesus

Post by RR24K »

Glacier wrote:
roadrunner24k wrote: Most if not all nursery rhyme's are born out of the bible story's.

Huh?? how did you come up with that?...http://www.rhymes.org.uk/
roadrunner24k wrote:Here is my challenge can anyone tell me which bible story is told thru the nursery rhyme "Rub-A-Dub-Dub Three men in a tub".

Here is your answer...
A sideshow attraction at local fairs used to be three maids in a tub who were presumably unclothed and were featured in an early version of this rhyme. It’s possible this rhyme made fun of the men who enjoyed visiting them! [1]


The earliest versions of this rhyme published differ significantly in their wording. The first recorded version is in Christmas Box published in London in 1798 has similar wording to that in Mother Goose's Quarto or Melodies Complete, published in Boston, Massachusetts around 1825, which had the following version:

Hey! rub-a-dub, ho! rub-a-dub, three maids in a tub,
And who do you think were there?
The butcher, the baker, the candlestick-maker,
And all of them gone to the fair.

This led Iona and Peter Opie to conclude that they were three respectable townsfolk "watching a dubious sideshow at a local fair".

By around 1830 the reference to maids was being removed from the versions printed in nursery books. In 1842 James Orchard Halliwell collected the following version:

Rub a dub dub,
Three men in a tub,
And who do you think they be?
The butcher, the baker,
The candlestick maker.
Turn them out, knaves all three. [2]


[1] http://nurseryrhymes.allinfoabout.com/rub-a-dub-dub
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rub-a-dub-dub

whatever "Glacier" then don't take challenge. I did not ask who wrote them
User avatar
sobrohusfat
Guru
Posts: 5872
Joined: Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:42 am

Re: Jesus

Post by sobrohusfat »

yeah Glacier, what were you thinking, He's just looking for a fresh way of taking the mick.
He's just lacking the style and finness of a Hellomynameis or the verbose dexterity of a Born_Again.

He did manage to pass off a subtle jab as an "apology"...that nicely executed was.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16288
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am

Re: Jesus

Post by Nebula »

sobrohusfat wrote:...that nicely executed was.

English good speak you.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
User avatar
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3171
Joined: May 17th, 2007, 5:22 am

Re: Jesus

Post by hellomynameis »

Double-U-Tea-Eph is going on in here? One minute I'm feeling bad for taking the subject too lightly, the next feeling like I need to break out the big league chew!

Directions to Qingdao, I need them.

:nutzoid:
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
RR24K
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3832
Joined: Sep 20th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Re: Jesus

Post by RR24K »

Well fellow posters keep up the good work ;)
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: Jesus

Post by Mr Danksworth »

roadrunner24k wrote:Most if not all nursery rhyme's are born out of the bible story's.


That is patently false. Wikipedia is your friend...use it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nursery_rhyme
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: Jesus

Post by Mr Danksworth »



Spot on as usual. Matt & Co. do good work.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
RR24K
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3832
Joined: Sep 20th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Re: Jesus

Post by RR24K »

soulra wrote:


Spot on as usual. Matt & Co. do good work.
soulra wrote:
roadrunner24k wrote:Most if not all nursery rhyme's are born out of the bible story's.


That is patently false. Wikipedia is your friend...use it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nursery_rhyme


Well you have your opinion. About what you can do with Wikipedia & Matt & Co. I am not aloud to say on here.

Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf

As soon as Wolf began to feel
That he would like a decent meal,
He went and knocked on Grandma's door.
When Grandma opened it, she saw
The sharp white teeth, the horrid grin,
And Wolfie said, ``May I come in?''
Poor Grandmamma was terrified,
``He's going to eat me up!'' she cried.
And she was absolutely right.
He ate her up in one big bite.
But Grandmamma was small and tough,
And Wolfie wailed, ``That's not enough!
I haven't yet begun to feel
That I have had a decent meal!''
He ran around the kitchen yelping,
``I've got to have a second helping!''
Then added with a frightful leer,
``I'm therefore going to wait right here
Till Little Miss Red Riding Hood
Comes home from walking in the wood.''
He quickly put on Grandma's clothes,
(Of course he hadn't eaten those).
He dressed himself in coat and hat.
He put on shoes, and after that
He even brushed and curled his hair,
Then sat himself in Grandma's chair.
In came the little girl in red.
She stopped. She stared. And then she said,

``What great big ears you have, Grandma.''
``All the better to hear you with,'' the Wolf replied.
``What great big eyes you have, Grandma.''
said Little Red Riding Hood.
``All the better to see you with,'' the Wolf replied.

He sat there watching her and smiled.
He thought, I'm going to eat this child.
Compared with her old Grandmamma
She's going to taste like caviar.

Then Little Red Riding Hood said, ``But Grandma,
what a lovely great big furry coat you have on.''

``That's wrong!'' cried Wolf. ``Have you forgot
To tell me what BIG TEETH I've got?
Ah well, no matter what you say,
I'm going to eat you anyway.''
The small girl smiles. One eyelid flickers.
She whips a pistol from her knickers.
She aims it at the creature's head
And bang bang bang, she shoots him dead.
A few weeks later, in the wood,
I came across Miss Riding Hood.
But what a change! No cloak of red,
No silly hood upon her head.
She said, ``Hello, and do please note
My lovely furry wolfskin coat.''

This one refer to the conflict between King Saul & the future King David
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35845
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Jesus

Post by Glacier »

roadrunner24k wrote:This one refer to the conflict between King Saul & the future King David

And you will provide a source for this claim?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”