The Secret

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Re: The Secret

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Big ned wrote:Truth is truth... there is no "according to this or that" It is an absolute. I don't claim to have a corner on it... But if you believe in God, He is the author of it. No need to mock.

I agree ned. It always amazes me when people come into a discussion to only offer up a sarcastic retort or to mock someones opinion.

I think that if a person can find something that assists them in making positive changes in their lives, whether it's this book The Secret, religion, whatever, it's a good thing. What strikes a cord with one person may not with another.

~D :sunshine:
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

Who was sarcastic or mocking?

Has this now become an area where those who don't buy into your god or your version of god are no longer welcome?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Amor vincit omnia wrote:A religious friend once commented about the movie "The Secret" saying that she didn't believe in The Secret because it suggested that you have control of your destiny and her destiny was in God's hands. I thought that strange at the time, and yet I've seen a number of posts recently to that effect. Do you control your destiny or is it in God's hands?

Excellent subject. Nevermind The Secret, the basis of your post is something that has baffled me since I was young and I have never been able to make sense of it.

When I was 11-years-old, I went to my first funeral, my father's. The priest said yada yada this and yada yada that and my dad's death being part of God's plan. From that day, I have wrestled with that statement and what it represents.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

The Secret

Post by eyepop »

we had (or lost) the parents we did,

so we know what children need.
bdbnkr

Post by bdbnkr »

writerdave wrote:
Amor vincit omnia wrote:A religious friend once commented about the movie "The Secret" saying that she didn't believe in The Secret because it suggested that you have control of your destiny and her destiny was in God's hands. I thought that strange at the time, and yet I've seen a number of posts recently to that effect. Do you control your destiny or is it in God's hands?

Excellent subject. Nevermind The Secret, the basis of your post is something that has baffled me since I was young and I have never been able to make sense of it.

When I was 11-years-old, I went to my first funeral, my father's. The priest said yada yada this and yada yada that and my dad's death being part of God's plan. From that day, I have wrestled with that statement and what it represents.

I agree it is not an easything to understand. We have "free will", yet it is "His plan".
I will not try to explain it as I do not think I could do it justice... I think I will just watch this one from the sidelines.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

A most gracious bowing out, bdbnkr. :sunshine:
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
bdbnkr

Post by bdbnkr »

writerdave wrote:A most gracious bowing out, bdbnkr. :sunshine:

a man's gotta know his limitations
Amor vincit omnia
Fledgling

Post by Amor vincit omnia »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:I think that if a person can find something that assists them in making positive changes in their lives, whether it's this book The Secret, religion, whatever, it's a good thing. What strikes a cord with one person may not with another.

Well said.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

It's really not that difficult.

It is God's plan that we be sent here to earth to see if we will use our "free will" for good or evil. Will we follow that feeling inside us that tells what we are doing is right or wrong? His plan IS that we have free will here on earth.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Big ned, see I can grasp that concept. What you're saying is our time here on Earth is completely up to us to spend as we choose. We screrw up, we live with the consequences. That all makes perfect sense.

What doesn't make sense is when something happens and a religious person says,"I know it's hard to understand, but it's all part of God's plan."
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

Well, that could mean several things.. couldn't it? Since we are all existing here on earth as a part of God's plan, everything that happens is part of God's plan. I don't think that means there is specifically any deep meaning etc. to what just happened. I guess you would have to ask the religious person that said that.

I wouldn't pretend to know God's will for each individual, so to have any deeper meaning than simply "Here we are in God's plan" would be presumptuous. I do believe we are entitled to personal revelation and some people may have a specific insight into why something happened pertaining to God's plan, but that I would say is fairly rare.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re: a Secret

Post by eyepop »

when both teams dedicate and pray to (the same) god before a game,
how does he decide who wins?

like, what's HIS game plan?
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

eyepop wrote:when both teams dedicate and pray to (the same) god before a game,

May the best prayer win.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

That always cracks me up when sports teams pray to win a game. I don't think God cares who wins a basketball game (unless it is BYU... kidding of course). I can see praying that you can play to the best of you ability or for sportsmanship, but praying to win is silly.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Boda wrote:
eyepop wrote:when both teams dedicate and pray to (the same) god before a game,

May the best prayer win.

:dyinglaughing: good one!
They say you can't believe everything they say.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”