Is marriage a good thing?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Fred Spencer

Is marriage a good thing?

Post by Fred Spencer »

In this age many couples live together, even have children, without the benefit of matrimony. What are the pros and cons for marriage. Is it a good thing or is it outdated. Does it benefit those who are most directly affected by it? Is it good for society?

*edited*/ferri
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Is marriage a good thing?

Post by JonyDarko »

A very good question, one that has many answers. For myself marriage has been a wonderful thing. To me, showing your other half that you are willing to make one of the largest commitments in life can never be outdated. My wife is currently pregnant with our first child and I am willing to bet that the child we bring into the world has a more secure up bringing having both loving parents as a couple.

I did not grow up in Canada. I spent the first twenty one years of my life in and around the major cities of the north eastern US, mainly Philadelphia. In the neighborhoods that I grew up in it was somewhat rare to have a friend who lived with both parents or even knew both their mother and father. I was one of these children and although my mother did her best to raise two boys with no father it was not easy by any means. My story is not a rare one, even in this great country.

In short I would say that it is not outdated, but far from needed to raise or have a family. You do not have to be married to supply your family with a decent future nor does marriage guarantee one. I would however, say that marriage is a strong foundation for a family and the children who grow up under the care of parents who are married and in love will only strengthen their childhood. If what I say is true then it is immeasurably important to society since children are the future of every civilization.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

JonyDarko wrote: For myself marriage has been a wonderful thing. .

i would have thought a happily married man would have answered,

"For myself, marriage IS a wonderful thing."

:biggrin:
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

lol shhh my wife is close by.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Marriage IS a wonderful thing! ;-)

It is hard though... marriage takes work sometimes...I feel most get out too easily just because a bad patch hits they want an out ...instead of being prepared to work at it... I
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

Saxon wrote:Marriage IS a wonderful thing! ;-)

It is hard though... marriage takes work sometimes...I feel most get out too easily just because a bad patch hits they want an out ...instead of being prepared to work at it... I

I agree completely.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

Fred Spencer wrote:In this age many couples live together... without the benefit of matrimony. What are the pros and cons for marriage. Is it a good thing or is it outdated. Does it benefit those who are most directly affected by it?

having second thoughts there Fred?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

So would marriage be a good thing if it was a bad marriage?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

A bad marriage was once a good one or it would nothave taken place... maybe it need's work to make it good again
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

It doesn't have to BE bad.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Well... I suppose its not the marriage thats bad but the things that have taken place within the marriage...
Fred Spencer

Post by Fred Spencer »

Personally I am very much in favour of marriage and committment. Close bonding in families provides a safety net that makes life worth living during the tough times. Everyone has their tough times. When you have a strong family you can focus on what is really important instead of the stress of the moment. When families are together the members learn from each other and support each other. This was the basis of society for thousands of years before 'Old Age Pensions', Welfare etc. I am not saying that social benefits are not a positive thing. They just don't replace family. Family starts with a Mom and Dad in the same household.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

Saxon wrote:A bad marriage was once a good one or it would not have taken place... maybe it need's work to make it good again

maybe all the 'work' and 'prepare to work' should have been done before marrying.

Getting to know what to say

Haven't you noticed
Suddenly I'm bright and breezy?
Because of all the beautiful and new
Things I'm learning about you
Day .. by ... day.
Last edited by eyepop on Mar 5th, 2008, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

eyepop wrote:
Saxon wrote:A bad marriage was once a good one or it would not have taken place... maybe it need's work to make it good again

maybe all the 'work' and 'prepare to work' should have been done before marrying.

Every marriage has ups and downs, you could not possibly hope to work out all of the problems and baggage two imperfect people carry around before getting married. Hell you could not hope to achieve that in a thousand years of marriage due to the fact that just like everything else marriage and people are shaped by the events that affect them. As a new event occurs "good or bad" the people involved adapt for better or for worse therefore the marriage between those people would also adapt, evolution if you will. I think the key is to adapt together by helping each other threw life's twists and turns. This is what marriage is fundamentally about, committing to grow as a couple and deal with good times and bad as they arise.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”