God

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
ami2much4u
Board Meister

Re: God

Post by ami2much4u »

God is or is not. There isn't any inbetween. If he is, then there is no question. If he isn't then, one might question why not?

I don't believe that god is of the carnal mind, but more of the spiritual mind.

The belief is more in oneself, than anything to do with god.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

writerdave wrote:Saxon, if you believe there was a guy named Jesus Christ who was on Earth and that he was killed and rose from the dead to be in heaven with his father (only one example from the Bible), then are you not clearly accepting that which was told/taught to you?

You were not there. There is no physical evidence the event happened. As with most of history, we can only read and/or be taught about what apparently happened in the past. If you believe it happened, then you are accepting what you were told/taught/read.

well I suppose you are accepting what you have read or been taught yes but again that is not the simplest way is it...being taught requires effort as does reading and learning... my road to being a believer started out as a staunch non believer... I would go so far as to mock Christians and avoid them at all costs... I would view people like the man I am right now as brain washed weirdos who wanted nothing more than to convince me that their fairytale smiley world was infact true so they themselves would feel better about their own blindness to the real truth.....What I did was lots of research into lots of religions...I looked at the bible and I thought about other ancient texts and their validity.... amazing how some where we only have just a few copies aree considered by the best historians and scholars as completely valid yet the bible is not and we have multitudes on it... there is much in the bible being scientifically proven as true all the time ... I drew a conclusion that lots in the same position have drawn.. I began to believe... I was never a man of faith til I realized what faith was... thats when God showed me that the only limits he has when it comes to helping us are the ones we as humans place upon him ourselves by our lacking in faith and devotion to him... when I look back at before I found God its like looking back into a dark tunnel...
Scynite
Board Meister

Post by Scynite »

To try to define God, or conceptualize the Origin of the universe is such a waste of time and energy.

At best, all we can do from our miniscule vantage point from Earth, is guess.

What starts to *bleep* me off, are self-appointed 'experts' on the matter, who claim they know what the answer is, and then create whole organizations around it, and damning anyone who disagrees with their interpretation of the Universe.

So haughty... so deluded... so laughable.

In the end, we could find out that we are nothing but a bacterial growth on a dust speck floating around in some mud puddle.
Don't get so mad, it's just my opinion.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

nolanrh wrote:Ah ha! That makes a lot more sense. My apologies for the misinterpretation and thank you for clarifying yourself. We're agreed, on the surface it does seem to be a much simpler explanation.

I don't think God is a figment of the imagination any more than I think the belief that the Earth was flat was a figment of the imagination. If you indoctrinate a child at a young age it is quite understandable that they would believe in a god.

I feel I don't believe in God, where so many others do, is because religion was never forced on me at a young age. I was not subject to the indoctrination. I tried it and apparently didn't find enough interest in it to stick with it. I'd probably be a lot more into it now that it has become such a big interest in my life.

I was never taken to church as a child.... lol I remember in school at christmas singing..."oh come let us ignore him oh come let us ignore hiiiim .oh come let us ignooooore hiiiiiiim.......chriiiiiiiiiist I'm bored!"...( I was a little $%$&*) lol...yet I became a firm believer...there are no doubts in my mind that God is real
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

:dyinglaughing: I've never head that version, Saxon.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

writerdave wrote::dyinglaughing: I've never head that version, Saxon.

As sung by naughty lil British lads countrywide hehehe
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

JonyDarko wrote:
AlanH wrote: the Bible is a wonderful book of guidelines.

Not to be rude, but i am not sure if we are thinking of the same book here. We are referring to the Bible or any other of the religious texts that originated with Abraham? blah blah blah...

Not to be rude, but what a wonderful waste of text you made, generalizing a one line statement about guidelines. And to preach that crap to an Agnostic is laughable at best. I think I just got dumber by reading your drivel.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Scynite wrote:To try to define God, or conceptualize the Origin of the universe is such a waste of time and energy.

Where do you come up with these absurd statements. Whether to understand the universe we live in or purely an academic exercise doing these things are very positive uses of time and energy. Im not even sure I should bother reading your posts anymore.
ami2much4u
Board Meister

Post by ami2much4u »

nolanrh wrote:
Scynite wrote:To try to define God, or conceptualize the Origin of the universe is such a waste of time and energy.

Where do you come up with these absurd statements. Whether to understand the universe we live in or purely an academic exercise doing these things are very positive uses of time and energy. Im not even sure I should bother reading your posts anymore.

Anything is better than nothing
Scynite
Board Meister

Post by Scynite »

nolanrh wrote:

I find your posts absurd too. Perhaps I should also stop reading your inane posts as well.
Don't get so mad, it's just my opinion.
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

AlanH wrote:
JonyDarko wrote:

Not to be rude, but i am not sure if we are thinking of the same book here. We are referring to the Bible or any other of the religious texts that originated with Abraham? blah blah blah...

Not to be rude, but what a wonderful waste of text you made, generalizing a one line statement about guidelines. And to preach that crap to an Agnostic is laughable at best. I think I just got dumber by reading your drivel.

If you think the Bible offers a non conflicting moral code or guideline you are wrong and could not be more incorrect, that is all that I was trying to point out. I can not take someone seriously when they say that the bible has given them a good guideline to live their lives by when on one page it says to murder and torture your fellow man and even kill your own children, then have it go on to say you should love thy neighbor and thou shall not kill. If you honestly buy into the the moral system of the bible, the feeling of getting "dumber" after reading my post was probably a delayed reaction of some kind.

You can not deny that the bible is disgustingly contradictory when it comes to what is right and wrong in the eyes of God.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

JonyDarko wrote:
AlanH wrote:
JonyDarko wrote:

If you think the Bible offers a non conflicting moral code or guideline you are wrong and could not be more incorrect, that is all that I was trying to point out. I can not take someone seriously when they say that the bible has given them a good guideline to live their lives by when on one page it says to murder and torture your fellow man and even kill your own children, then have it go on to say you should love thy neighbor and thou shall not kill. If you honestly buy into the the moral system of the bible, the feeling of getting "dumber" after reading my post was probably a delayed reaction of some kind.

You can not deny that the bible is disgustingly contradictory when it comes to what is right and wrong in the eyes of God.

Do you understand what an Agnostic is? And whilst you are at it, look up guideline... it differs from the strict following of a code, as you are somehow suggesting.
Last edited by AlanH on Mar 8th, 2008, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

This entire dicussion about the pros and cons of the bible is off topic to the original post.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

JonyDarko wrote:
AlanH wrote:
JonyDarko wrote:

Have you ever read the bible Jony? I would be glad to answer any of the problems you seem to have with it, there are many mis interpretations and mis understandings flying around from those who really have never read or studied the bible in any way... there is much refered to as contradictory but infact this usually is not the case... Message me if you like as WD is right we're headed off on the side road lol or we could begin a new thread...whatever's best :124:
Amor vincit omnia
Fledgling

Post by Amor vincit omnia »

Before Christianity, there were many gods. Whenever we didn't understand something there was always a god. Thunder? Poor crops? Drought? Volcanoes...

After these were all discredited by logic and science, suddenly lo and behold the REAL God shows up and presents us with his son and tells us [well, a small subset of us] what the real answer is.

Knowing there are trillions of stars in a galaxy, and countless galaxies in the universe somehow we can't believe that random chance could create the perfect situation for life on our planet. Yet we still buy lottery tickets hoping to win that big one...

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”