God

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Re: God

Post by dirtrider »

Amor vincit omnia wrote:Before Christianity, there were many gods. Whenever we didn't understand something there was always a god. Thunder? Poor crops? Drought? Volcanoes...

You could argue that Christianity is polytheistic today :runforlife:..... and definately during Abraham's time.
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Post by dirtrider »

Saxon wrote:I was wondering about those who come in here who dont believe in God or go to church... set religion aside and the bad that has been done in the name of it and you are left with the prospect of there being a God or not... now if you dont believe in him then there's only one explaination... he is a figment of imagination... am I right with that ? or perhaps there are different perspectives? :124:

I've heard it said that we are a figment of God's imagination.
Last edited by dirtrider on Mar 24th, 2008, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Post by dirtrider »

Scynite wrote:To try to define God, or conceptualize the Origin of the universe is such a waste of time and energy.

At best, all we can do from our miniscule vantage point from Earth, is guess.

What starts to diss me off, are self-appointed 'experts' on the matter, who claim they know what the answer is, and then create whole organizations around it, and damning anyone who disagrees with their interpretation of the Universe.

So haughty... so deluded... so laughable.

In the end, we could find out that we are nothing but a bacterial growth on a dust speck floating around in some mud puddle.

...I wouldn't quite put it that way but I know what you mean.....I used to get dizzy at the possiblities.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

who created who? did god create us? or did we create god? is RAA god? he is tangible in the sky as the sun each and every day. is cupid god because we can see tangible examples of love everyday? as much as the poster wants to create simplicity in this string it wont get past his personal slant because we all know it already. he doesnt care who our gods are.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

sooperphreek wrote:who created who? did god create us? or did we create god? is RAA god? he is tangible in the sky as the sun each and every day. is cupid god because we can see tangible examples of love everyday? as much as the poster wants to create simplicity in this string it wont get past his personal slant because we all know it already. he doesnt care who our gods are.
Well I really dont think you know me well enough to start making judgements about what I do and don't care about.

The Egyptian God Ra is tangible in the sky as the sun? I must look for him tomorrow!... as for creating simplicity I dont need to create that... either you believe in your heart there is a higher power or you don't... its not complicated
ami2much4u
Board Meister

Post by ami2much4u »

writerdave wrote:I get where you're coming from, Saxon. Get rid of all the crap that is stated on this forum and get right down to the bare bones question. Is there a God or not?

You stated that if one doesn't believe in God then perhaps that means belief in a God is a figment of imagination. I said instead of that, perhaps the belief in a God is the simplest explanation available.

Pretty deep question for a Saturday. :sunshine:

the question defies the meaning.
a belief is; "Synonyms 1. view, tenet, conclusion, persuasion. 2. assurance. Belief, certainty, conviction refer to acceptance of, or confidence in, an alleged fact or body of facts as true or right without positive knowledge or proof. Belief is such acceptance in general: belief in astrology. Certainty indicates unquestioning belief and positiveness in one's own mind that something is true: I know this for a certainty. Conviction is settled, profound, or earnest belief that something is right: a conviction that a decision is just. 4. doctrine, dogma."
Is there a God or not? would really be the question.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

I was wondering about those who come in here who dont believe in God or go to church... set religion aside and the bad that has been done in the name of it and you are left with the prospect of there being a God or not... now if you dont believe in him then there's only one explaination... he is a figment of imagination... am I right with that ? or perhaps there are different perspectives? :124:
ami2much4u
Board Meister

Post by ami2much4u »

Saxon wrote:I was wondering about those who come in here who dont believe in God or go to church... set religion aside and the bad that has been done in the name of it and you are left with the prospect of there being a God or not... now if you dont believe in him then there's only one explaination... he is a figment of imagination... am I right with that ? or perhaps there are different perspectives? :124:

I guess in that respect, everything is a figment of the imagination then.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

ami2much4u wrote:

I guess in that respect, everything is a figment of the imagination then.

:124:
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Different perspective: We cannot explain how everything got here and there is no evidence one way or the other. Still searching...
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

There's much can't be explained and much I believe we're not meant to know...the bible tells us there is much we don't and won't know til we meet the father
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Saxon wrote:There's much can't be explained and much I believe we're not meant to know...the bible tells us there is much we don't and won't know til we meet the father

But I don't need the bible to tell me I don't know much.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

writerdave wrote:
Saxon wrote:There's much can't be explained and much I believe we're not meant to know...the bible tells us there is much we don't and won't know til we meet the father

But I don't need the bible to tell me I don't know much.

I know you don't... thats quite obvious to anyone Dave ( sorry but you RAN into that one lol) I resign myself to that though and find peace in it.. there's much I dont and won't know.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

That make's two of us then. I'm quite comfortable not knowing everything too.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

hey saxon if there is much you dont know and there is a possibility that you and your god are the wrong one then are you comfortable with that? all the biblical assurances aside. if there is nothing or no god then what? and if you need your god in these circumstances are they not a crutch?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”