God

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Amor vincit omnia
Fledgling

Re: God

Post by Amor vincit omnia »

sooperphreek wrote:hey saxon if there is much you dont know and there is a possibility that you and your god are the wrong one then are you comfortable with that? all the biblical assurances aside. if there is nothing or no god then what? and if you need your god in these circumstances are they not a crutch?

That's the glue that holds it all together.

If there is a God and you don't believe... :skyisfalling:

If there isn't a God and you do believe - no loss.

What are you comfortable with?
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

Amor vincit omnia wrote:
sooperphreek wrote:hey saxon if there is much you dont know and there is a possibility that you and your god are the wrong one then are you comfortable with that? all the biblical assurances aside. if there is nothing or no god then what? and if you need your god in these circumstances are they not a crutch?

Both.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

Amor vincit omnia wrote:If there is a God and you don't believe... :skyisfalling:

let's sing...

My troubles are many, they're as deep as a well.
I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.
Swear there ain't no heaven and I pray there ain't no hell,
But I'll never know by living, only my dying will tell.
Yes, only my dying will tell.

Blood, Sweat, & Tears
Last edited by eyepop on Mar 24th, 2008, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

AlanH wrote:
Amor vincit omnia wrote:

Both.

I have not seen Pascal's wager since I was a member of the fourth grade debate team.

If there is no God and you DO believe, you have tons to lose. I know I personally would call wasting your life cowering in fear, praying to no one, squandering money, and fighting over religion a very large loss.

Along with that, If you do "believe" in an all knowing being simply because you think it is better to do so then to not do so it would see threw your lack of real faith.

Pascal's wager is an argument for feigning belief.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

JonyDarko wrote:
AlanH wrote:
Amor vincit omnia wrote:

Both.

I have not seen Pascal's wager since I was a member of the fourth grade debate team.

If there is no God and you DO believe, you have tons to lose. I know I personally would call wasting your life cowering in fear, praying to no one, squandering money, and fighting over religion a very large loss.

Along with that, If you do "believe" in an all knowing being simply because you think it is better to do so then to not do so it would see threw your lack of real faith.

Pascal's wager is an argument for feigning belief.

C'mon Jony, how many people do you know who believe in God that are cowering, squandering, and fighting because of it. You're talking extremists perhaps, who are the exception, not the rule.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Amor vincit omnia
Fledgling

Post by Amor vincit omnia »

Pascal's Wager according to Wikipedia

Atheist's Wager:
You should live your life and try to make the world a better place for your being in it, whether or not you believe in God. If there is no God, you have lost nothing and will be remembered fondly by those you left behind. If there is a benevolent God, he may judge you on your merits coupled with your commitments, and not just on whether or not you believed in him.

It assumes that the correct god is worshipped:
Since there are many religions, especially throughout history, and therefore many alleged gods, it is impossible to determine which to believe in based on the wager. Hence there is a high probability of believing in the wrong god, which could lead to severe punishment if a different god exists and is jealous and vengeful. The philosopher Denis Diderot expressed this opinion when asked about the validity of Pascal's wager, saying "an Imam could reason the same way".

Everyone believes their God is the only true God. Everyone should pray that the other God's are benevolent.
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Re:

Post by dirtrider »

eyepop wrote:
Amor vincit omnia wrote:If there is a God and you don't believe... :skyisfalling:

let's sing...

My troubles are many, they're as deep as a well.
I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.
Swear there ain't no heaven and I pray there ain't no hell,
But I'll never know by living, only my dying will tell.
Yes, only my dying will tell.

Blood, Sweat, & Tears

I like that eyepop, I truly believe if everyone looked deep inside and were honest with themselves, they would come to the same conclusion. "I just don't know".....until I die.
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Post by dirtrider »

Amor vincit omnia wrote:Pascal's Wager according to Wikipedia

Atheist's Wager:
You should live your life and try to make the world a better place for your being in it, whether or not you believe in God. If there is no God, you have lost nothing and will be remembered fondly by those you left behind. If there is a benevolent God, he may judge you on your merits coupled with your commitments, and not just on whether or not you believed in him.

It assumes that the correct god is worshipped:
Since there are many religions, especially throughout history, and therefore many alleged gods, it is impossible to determine which to believe in based on the wager. Hence there is a high probability of believing in the wrong god, which could lead to severe punishment if a different god exists and is jealous and vengeful. The philosopher Denis Diderot expressed this opinion when asked about the validity of Pascal's wager, saying "an Imam could reason the same way".

Everyone believes their God is the only true God. Everyone should pray that the other God's are benevolent.

I also like your post too, Amor, something to chew on all day.
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

zzontar
Well if you are donating money to a church that worships nothing "in the case there is no God" that would be squandering. Especially if they are putting your money to use on hundreds of thousands worth of new landscaping like a local church I know of, but to be fair i do realize MANY churches are not like that and do actually put a large portion of the money to good use via charities and such. But then again if you think about it say you give to the church, and they give 80% of that donation to a charity would it not have been better to give the full 100% to the charity in the first place? As for fighting, There is too much to count, today and threw out history. One mans extremist is another mans saint. Finally to respond to the fearing part...ever hear someone with power and influence or even an everyday Joe state that they are "God fearing"?

Amor, off topic but i also liked your last post of a Wiki search you did.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

I always find if funny how people seem to think that every religion has a different God... truth is most religions have but one God, they may have deities they worship most in most cases these are aspects of the one whole God...
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re: Gods

Post by eyepop »

Saxon wrote:I always find if funny how people seem to think that every religion has a different God..
you always find it funny how people seem to think that every religion has a different god.

well, i don't think you're praying to Thor as your father,
are you?

Post by Saxon »

Thats right eyepop I always do lol.............Nope I don't pray to Thor the god of thunder and incidently where we get the name Thursday from too... The Time of Jesus on earth decided that for me
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

JonyDarko wrote:zzontar
Well if you are donating money to a church that worships nothing "in the case there is no God" that would be squandering. Especially if they are putting your money to use on hundreds of thousands worth of new landscaping like a local church I know of, but to be fair i do realize MANY churches are not like that and do actually put a large portion of the money to good use via charities and such. But then again if you think about it say you give to the church, and they give 80% of that donation to a charity would it not have been better to give the full 100% to the charity in the first place? As for fighting, There is too much to count, today and threw out history. One mans extremist is another mans saint. Finally to respond to the fearing part...ever hear someone with power and influence or even an everyday Joe state that they are "God fearing"?

Amor, off topic but i also liked your last post of a Wiki search you did.

you forget the sole motivation beheind church giving....the tax write off. if there was no tax write offs there would be no church landscaping or old folk homes on the properties
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

Saxon wrote:I always find if funny how people seem to think that every religion has a different God... truth is most religions have but one God, they may have deities they worship most in most cases these are aspects of the one whole God...

wow that was deep saxon. so what you are saying is that in essence no matter how deep your convictions you are praying to a chinese buffett? no wonder religious people dont know right from wrong. they are skitzo and dont know who to listen to.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Well actually no sooper...well unless said buffet has only one item in it to eat lol... most religions have just one God... even the ones who worship what most call 'other Gods' these other Gods are infact in some cases only aspects of the one true God... God has many names too in different languages... God, Allah, Abba,Yahweh and many more... 6 to 1 half a dozen the other

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”