Adam and Eve riddle

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
hxc009

Adam and Eve riddle

Post by hxc009 »

Adam and Eve meet, they're the first man and woman, and they have two sons: Cain and Abel. Cain killed Abel, then Cain got married. Who did he marry?
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Re: Adam and Eve riddle

Post by AlanH »

Shelly?
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Post by dirtrider »

Is this a trick question? It has to be Eve :ohmygod:
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Adam and Eve meet, they're the first man and woman, and they have two sons: Cain and Abel. Cain killed Abel,( This is where god may have created more people...Note Adam and Eve 'first' man and woman....not 'only')..... then Cain got married. Who did he marry? Or it is suggested Adam and Eve had many children and he married his sister... in those early days Gods first creations were less sinful than today thus some believe, more perfect on a genetic level so close relations stood a better chance of non deformed children... and relations marrying was not outlawed By God til the time of Moses :124:
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Post by dirtrider »

That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it Saxon? :-k
How come the other children of Adam and Eve weren't listed in the Bible? :-k
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Or – the whole thing could just be a story used to represent something that happened. You know, like a parable – a strategy in teaching often used by many great teachers (such as Jesus Christ). So, what would the story represent? Well, evolutionists believe there would have had to have been a time where we became sentient and self-aware (ie. I am and I am individual, separate from the rest). Many evolutionists and philosophers would also argue there would have been a time in our evolution where we developed a moral sense of what might be “right” and/or “wrong” and that we had a choice in making a decision between such choices. Just an idea, although at the time I really doubt that either Adam or Eve, or Cain or Able for that matter were writing things down to keep a record of events. Furthermore, I strongly suspect there were more than enough humans around already for some coupling to take place (hell, maybe they were already “speed-dating”).

The preface in the Bible (at least the New English version) acknowledges that the stories (yes, it even acknowledges they are stories) contained within the Old Testament were first passed down from generation to generation through oral tradition. Ancient peoples and societies making up stories to explain their history and passing those stories on to the generations that followed. It doesn’t mean that the story of Adam and Eve, for example has no meaning, but that the meaning of the story lies deeper than a simple and literal translation.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

All I know is, if we begat these days like the the begatting that went on in the Old Testament, we'd be getting into a lot of trouble.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

writerdave wrote:All I know is, if we begat these days like the the begatting that went on in the Old Testament, we'd be getting into a lot of trouble.

I had to give up that begatting stuff. At my age it hurts my back. :200:
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Post by dirtrider »

steven lloyd wrote:Or – the whole thing could just be a story used to represent something that happened. You know, like a parable – a strategy in teaching often used by many great teachers (such as Jesus Christ). So, what would the story represent? Well, evolutionists believe there would have had to have been a time where we became sentient and self-aware (ie. I am and I am individual, separate from the rest). Many evolutionists and philosophers would also argue there would have been a time in our evolution where we developed a moral sense of what might be “right” and/or “wrong” and that we had a choice in making a decision between such choices. Just an idea, although at the time I really doubt that either Adam or Eve, or Cain or Able for that matter were writing things down to keep a record of events. Furthermore, I strongly suspect there were more than enough humans around already for some coupling to take place (hell, maybe they were already “speed-dating”).

The preface in the Bible (at least the New English version) acknowledges that the stories (yes, it even acknowledges they are stories) contained within the Old Testament were first passed down from generation to generation through oral tradition. Ancient peoples and societies making up stories to explain their history and passing those stories on to the generations that followed. It doesn’t mean that the story of Adam and Eve, for example has no meaning, but that the meaning of the story lies deeper than a simple and literal translation.

I was just joshin' steven. It's been a while since I touched the bible but I was raised a Southern Baptist for a while (don't ask me what that means).....so I heard my share of parables and storys.
I have to say tho', Steven, your views are little more enlightened then the Baptists' version.
bdbnkr

Post by bdbnkr »

I would agree with Steven on this point. Genesis was never intended as a literal history. It is intended to provide us with a truth... not a fact.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

bdbnkr wrote:I would agree with Steven on this point. Genesis was never intended as a literal history. It is intended to provide us with a truth... not a fact.

Which raises the question: which other parts of the bible were never intended to be literal history and not to be accepted as fact?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

writerdave wrote: .... which other parts of the bible were never intended to be literal history and not to be accepted as fact?

Good question. And exactly who decided that certain excerpts shouldn't be accepted as fact?

Also, how did 'they' decide upon this - on whose authority?

No doubt the 'parable' version of Adam & Eve came into effect around the same time as advances in Science clearly disproved the story.
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

writerdave wrote:
bdbnkr wrote:I would agree with Steven on this point. Genesis was never intended as a literal history. It is intended to provide us with a truth... not a fact.

Which raises the question: which other parts of the bible were never intended to be literal history and not to be accepted as fact?

The whole thing could just be a story used to represent something that happened. You know, like a parable. So someone once said....
bdbnkr

Post by bdbnkr »

Baba O'Riley wrote:
writerdave wrote: .... which other parts of the bible were never intended to be literal history and not to be accepted as fact?

Good question. And exactly who decided that certain excerpts shouldn't be accepted as fact?

Also, how did 'they' decide upon this - on whose authority?

No doubt the 'parable' version of Adam & Eve came into effect around the same time as advances in Science clearly disproved the story.

Actually many pre renaissance Christians held no illussions about the historical acuracy. St Augstine is one such example. He believed that the creation story in the bible was metaphorical not historical...

The hardcore retreat to fundlementalism by some Chhristian groups did not occur until after the renaissance and industrial revolution. In fact the biggest movement toward literalsm has occurred in the last 100-150 years.
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

That's very interesting, bdbnkr - thank you! :124:

It does however still beg the question "which other parts of the bible were never intended to be literal history and not to be accepted as fact?"

Are Moses & the Ten Commandments, Jesus & the Virgin Birth, Angels delivering messages, Revelations & 'The Second Coming', etc, literal or metaphorical?
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”