Non believers

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Saxon

Non believers

Post by Saxon »

I'm curious.... quite often in these Religion forums there are lots of non believers... why?... you must all have some interest in God to click on religion and hit up topics which are quite obviously religious in nature... is your interest purely to attempt to discount or disprove/displace the faith of those who believe?... just curious as to the differing reason for you being in here as most say they dont believe and never will... that being said......what attracts you or makes you come in
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Re: Non believers

Post by dirtrider »

I'm curious.......
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

Saxon wrote:I'm curious.... quite often in these Religion forums there are lots of non believers... why?... you must all have some interest in God to click on religion and hit up topics which are quite obviously religious in nature... is your interest purely to attempt to discount or disprove/displace the faith of those who believe?... just curious as to the differing reason for you being in here as most say they dont believe and never will... that being said......what attracts you or makes you come in

The same reasons a Devout Religious person would click on a thread about Atheism.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I believe the heading of this forum is Religion and Philosophy.

I see no preconditions that lead me to believe this forum is only for believers. Even if it was, it is apparent that the brands of belief are wide ranging of those who post in here.

Saxon, you clearly adhere to one brand of Christianity. Why do you come here when clearly there are other types of Christians present?

Personally, I believe I have just as much right to express my views in this forum as you do. Although the first word in the heading of this forum is 'religion', there is no contonation that goes with it which states only those who are religious or who subscribe to a particular faith or subset of a faith are allowed to post.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

writerdave wrote:I believe the heading of this forum is Religion and Philosophy.

so you ARE a believer...

Religion & Philosophy Forum:
What's your faith?
What are your rules to live by?
Non-denominational discussion.
Everyone welcome.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

eyepop wrote:so you ARE a believer...

I believe so.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

I enter religious forum's because it is relevant to my interests. Besides would it not be more accurate to say someone who is on a religious/philosophy forum has some interest in religion/philosophy not god?

I see many plausible theories regarding spirituality, I accept it within myself and others regardless of its hue or intensity (so long as it does not make out to harm others) but beyond that I am an open agnostic, not in the “waiting for proof sense” of the term, its much more complex than that.

So These kinds of forums are nice to come to; you can learn, teach, chat with like minds or debate, or even argue.

It is a good thing.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Good questions Saxon. I too have wondered why some continue to come into certain threads that are discussing a religious topic and are die hard non-believers. I also got a chuckle out of a certain posters *cough wd* defensive answer to this question. :lol:

Everyone is different and I'm sure there are many reasons why non-believers entre into such discussions. When it's a thread like, "Do you believe in God" or "Do you have religious beliefs that guide your life" and along those lines, then of course that invites input from everyone, believer or non-believer. I just don't understand why a devout athiest would want to entre into such a discussion. Same goes for me as a believer. If there is a discussion on athiest views, I'm really not interested. I have no need to prove that what I believe is correct.

After all that rambling, I guess it must boil down to having a need to prove ones point, believer and non-believer alike.

~D
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

I see no preconditions that lead me to believe this forum is only for believers. Even if it was, it is apparent that the brands of belief are wide ranging of those who post in here.

Well of course the forum is not just for believers I never said it was, I was just interested as to why some enter threads titled in such a way it's obvious the discussion is clearly religious... do you enter there with one purpose in mind? or with a genuine interest in the topic?

Saxon, you clearly adhere to one brand of Christianity. Why do you come here when clearly there are other types of Christians present?

I don't see differing 'brands' of Christianity... more branches of the same tree... If I adhere to anything I try to adhere to God, I have worshipped him in Anglican churches, Catholic churches, Methodist churches, Presbyterian churches, evangelical churches, Messianic Churches, and many more
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Hellomynameis wrote:I enter religious forum's because it is relevant to my interests. Besides would it not be more accurate to say someone who is on a religious/philosophy forum has some interest in religion/philosophy not god?

I see many plausible theories regarding spirituality, I accept it within myself and others regardless of its hue or intensity (so long as it does not make out to harm others) but beyond that I am an open agnostic, not in the “waiting for proof sense” of the term, its much more complex than that.

So These kinds of forums are nice to come to; you can learn, teach, chat with like minds or debate, or even argue.

It is a good thing.

I would think though that an interest in religion has to be tied in with God being as he is what religion is all about... That to me would be like being interested in leaves but not so much the tree or the branch....very nicely stated thankyou hellomynameis :124:
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Good questions Saxon. I too have wondered why some continue to come into certain threads that are discussing a religious topic and are die hard non-believers. I also got a chuckle out of a certain posters *cough wd* defensive answer to this question. :lol:

Ah but.... you know what those artsyfartsy writer types are like eh Coffee.. :sillygrin: .
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Me, artsyfartsy? :dyinglaughing: Oy, you don't know me very well. Okay, okay, the 'fartsy' part is most accurate but certainly not the 'artsy' part.

What I laugh at is that several of you have branded me a 'non-believer' and an 'atheist'. I must profess, I don't believe what you do but I had enough indoctrination in church as a boy to make me wonder, to this day.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

You laughing at me wd? :128:

I wouldn't classify you as an athiest, but I think you lean more toward that side. That being said, I tend to view people two different ways. Kind of black or white. Either you believe in God or you do not. I know there seems to be all kinds of shades of grey, agnostics and such, but again, it boils down to believing in God or you don't for me. I know many people who have been turned off of organized religion, yet they still believe in God.

So wd, pick a side will ya! :lol:

~D
Last edited by CoffeeCanuck on Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

Saxon wrote: I would think though that an interest in religion has to be tied in with God being as he is what religion is all about... That to me would be like being interested in leaves but not so much the tree or the branch....very nicely stated thankyou hellomynameis :124:

He is what your religion is all about.

As to your original question,this is my answer: This is an open forum where members can read and post in whatever sections they choose as long as they are adhering to the rules. That's why I read and post in Religion and Philosophy, as well as Arts & Entertainment, World, Kelowna News, Cheers, Grab Bag, etc.

This is not the first time a thread has been posted in 'Religion' asking 'non-believers' to justify why they read and post in this particular subsection of the forums. Would it be acceptable if I posted a thread in the Arts section asking non-artists to justify themselves in that section? That would be a little ridiculous, would it not? :137:
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Warden, take a chill pill will ya. It's just a simple question, one that many of us have. I'm sure Saxon did not mean to be condescending, he's just asking a very simple question.....why?

~D

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”