Non believers

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Bobfrommanagment
Fledgling

Re: Non believers

Post by Bobfrommanagment »

I believe in karma and lots of other things but not religion for these reasons:

1) Theirs hundreds to thousands of religions all claiming to have one all mighty creator
2) It's disconnected from todays society and its thousands of years old with nothing new
3) It creates violence
4) History tells us how the churches have cheated and taken advantage of people
5) It gets in the way of science
6) Its a book of stories with no backing but the book
7) Its more corrupted then anything in are society today
8) Their blatantly obvious rules to live by such as "shall not commit murder"

Its important to have rules to live by but religion is a waste of my time in my opinion so I have made my own rules to live by which work x100 better then religion.
Gordian Knot
Übergod

Post by Gordian Knot »

I may be as defined a "non believer" as I don't believe in God. That most certainly doesn't eliminate me from having an interest in all religions and their beliefs. One cannot truly grow as a person without being open to opinions and beliefs of others. This forum is just one venue that I can visit to learn more. Both the believers and non believers that post can expand my knowledge and make me think.

And one can't lie, sometimes the flaming in here can be, well, interesting! :ohmygod:
A baby is something you carry inside you for nine months, in your arms for three years and in your heart till the day you die.
-- Mary Mason
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

It's not flaming, Gordian. It's being passionate about one's beliefs. Or, er, non-beliefs.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Gordian Knot
Übergod

Post by Gordian Knot »

Sometimes, WD, it's just flaming. From both sides. Usually isolated to a few members though, and none of which have voiced in this thread...yet. :)
A baby is something you carry inside you for nine months, in your arms for three years and in your heart till the day you die.
-- Mary Mason
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Saxon wrote: quite often in these Religion forums there are lots of non believers... why?...

'Believers' discuss their particular philosophy, oft with the intent of 'enlightening' others...

That's my reason too! :D
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Baba O'Riley wrote:'Believers' discuss their particular philosophy, oft with the intent of 'enlightening' others...

That's my reason too! :D

A straight up answer. =D>

~D
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

I second the statement that "not following a religion does not imply no interest in religion". Religion is such a huge part of our society. To ignore it and not participate in discussion would be to accept ignorance in a fairly important aspect of this world.

I am an atheist. I respect the right of an individual to believe whatever they want. However, I try not to refrain from presenting alternative beliefs when I believe it is socially appropriate.

That's why I am here.
katzenjammer
Board Meister

Post by katzenjammer »

Saxon quote
“I'm curious.... quite often in these Religion forums there are lots of non believers... why?”..

One of the reasons I like to add my two cents worth in the religious forums is that believers tend to think that they are absolutely right. In believing that they are absolutely right, it follows that everyone else, that thinks differently, must be absolutely wrong. Now I can’t let a group of people go around believing that this atheist is somehow inferior, or needs to find Jesus, or needs saving or some other religious tweaking. I don’t.
I have a duty to point out that the believers are likely deluded. Just because they have an unsubstantiated belief does not make that belief any more valid than any other unsubstantiated belief. (Like Pastafarism)

It is my duty to help the believers see that they are ripe for being led by the nose because if you can get a person to believe some of the stuff that is taught by religions then surely it wouldn’t be difficult to make them believe that, say, Pres. Bush is doing a good job. :hailjo:
Happiness never decreases by being shared. ...
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Oh ouch. Bad, bad, bad example. No one could be led to believe Bush is doing a good job. That's just going too far. :dyinglaughing:
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re: believer

Post by eyepop »

writerdave wrote:No one could be led to believe Bush is doing a good job. That's just going too far.

ask Ned what he thinks.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

. Now I can’t let a group of people go around believing that this atheist is somehow inferior, or needs to find Jesus, or needs saving or some other religious tweaking. I don’t.
I have a duty to point out that the believers are likely deluded. Just because they have an unsubstantiated belief does not make that belief any more valid than any other unsubstantiated belief. (Like Pastafarism)

I dont see an athiest as inferior in any way..... you may feel believers are deluded but to them they most certainly are not their faith is in most cases not at all unsubstantiated either, many Christians have some amazing stories of Gods influence in their lives ( of course you will write that off though)..Its also vastly more substantiated than pastafarism as we know that to be made up just a few years back by some guy... the bible has historical and spirtual proofs to back it up too
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

"..spirtual proofs to back it up .."

wow,
say THAT fast ten times....

spirtualproofsspirtualproofsspirtualproofsspiritualproofsspiritualspoofs
spiritualspoofsspiritualspoofsspiritualspoofspartialspoofspartialspoof
Amor vincit omnia
Fledgling

Post by Amor vincit omnia »

Joe believes in the bible, Jesus and God.
Mike doesn't believe in the bible, or Jesus but believes in God.
Tom says, well I don't believe in God, maybe something bigger than us.
Terry says I don't understand
Joe says See! This is proof of God, the bible and Jesus.

I don't think you can believe in the Bible without believing in God.
Some may believe in God but not the bible.
Some believe in something bigger than us or a higher power.
Some don't believe in any of this - they believe we just exist and die.

What is a believer or a non-believer? A believer of Jesus, the bible, God, a higher power or a universal common source of energy?

This forum allows believers and non-believers at every level to share their ideas and to learn from what others believe.

My family grew up with the United Church. I worked at a large cathedral style church for almost ten years. Then I lost my faith in religion and the bible. Coming to this forum allows me as a non-believer to re-evaluate my decision.

It is interesting how the mind works. When I was going to church, I couldn't understand why everyone didn't come to church. There were so many benefits. It was so obvious. And you justify everything that can't be explained or doesn't seem quite right.

Saxon wrote:...many Christians have some amazing stories of Gods influence in their lives...

After reading The Secret recently, I focused my mind on money, selling my house and positive thoughts. My house sold on the first day for $40,000 more than anticipated, we bought our new house for considerably less than we planned, and we received a large sum of money to renovate the new place.

I am very thankful. But should I give thanks to God, The Secret, the power of positive thinking or random chance?
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

well firstly congratulations thats great!.. I would give thanks wherever you truly feel they are due..really only you can decide that one :124:
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Amor vincit omnia wrote:After reading The Secret recently, I focused my mind on money, selling my house and positive thoughts. My house sold on the first day for $40,000 more than anticipated, we bought our new house for considerably less than we planned, and we received a large sum of money to renovate the new place.

I am very thankful. But should I give thanks to God, The Secret, the power of positive thinking or random chance?

I too just finished reading The Secret. It speaks of the Universe and the need to put thoughts, words and feelings about what you want to get. If one is constantly putting out negative energy and thoughts, that is what you will attract, same with positive. Basically, The Secret is the King Kong of Karma. :lol: As a Christian, I believe and accept that 'the Universe' is God.

I too have wondered why a non-believer would entre into many of the faith based threads in here, so I have to thank the few who gave straight up answers, muchly appreciated.

~D

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”