For The Bible Tells Me So

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

For The Bible Tells Me So

Post by mechanic_virus »

This evening I attended an event at the All Saints Lutheran Church in which the documentary "For The Bible Tells Me So" was screened.

It is an amazing documentary about GLBT individuals within Christian families, and I think it is a must-see for everybody.

Have you seen it? Any thoughts?

Trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpJAucyX ... re=related

http://www.forthebibletellsmeso.org/indexc.htm

Clips from the movie can also be found on Youtube.

I intend to purchase this movie, and would like to invite all who may be interested to view it with me when it arrives.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Re: For The Bible Tells Me So

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

I will definitely be renting that movie. Thanks for bringing it to my attention mv.

As a Christian, I have never supported what I call radical and extremist Christians in their 'hate' campaigns. God is not hate, He is love, pure and simple. I will be totally upfront and honest in saying, I have been searching myself for a number of years now. I'm often conflicted with knowing what the Bible says about homosexuality, yet knowing we are all made in Gods image and we are all loved.

~D
Yellow Sprinkles
Board Meister

Post by Yellow Sprinkles »

I'm interested... let me know closer to the time.
People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character.
- Emerson
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Awesome, I will for sure.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

I've found lots of movie reviews and checked out the website but nothing really provides any real info about what the movie talks about, Youtube doesn't work at work so I'm outa luck there too.

Sounds interesting though, guess I'm going to have to watch it when it comes out.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

This is interesting, and I would like to watch this at some point.

On a similar subject, i recently watched a documentary called "Jesus Camp" over a friends house and it is also very thought provoking.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Religious people who 'hate' gay's and show nothing but contempt for them are going directly against the teachings of Jesus, perhaps they should think of that before justifying their hate by using the bible...I don't know how widespread a problem this is though... in my years as a Christian I have NEVER spoken to another person of faith and heard them slander in anyway a person who is gay.... not even one! here or in my years in England ...... I would bet too were you to hand out cards to every church goer in Kelowna for them to anonymously put down their feelings about gays very few indeed if any! would return a hate filled card....sexual contact between two men or women I do not agree with and consider a sin but having said that it is not my job on earth to judge the sin of others, ...i sin enough of my own to be concerned with
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

hey saxon if a proud gay chose to regular your congregation what would you do? NO really....what would you want to happen?
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Saxon wrote:Religious people who 'hate' gay's and show nothing but contempt for them are going directly against the teachings of Jesus, perhaps they should think of that before justifying their hate by using the bible...I don't know how widespread a problem this is though... in my years as a Christian I have NEVER spoken to another person of faith and heard them slander in anyway a person who is gay.... not even one! here or in my years in England ...... I would bet too were you to hand out cards to every church goer in Kelowna for them to anonymously put down their feelings about gays very few indeed if any! would return a hate filled card....sexual contact between two men or women I do not agree with and consider a sin but having said that it is not my job on earth to judge the sin of others, ...i sin enough of my own to be concerned with

Quoted for great justice.

This has been my experience as well. If you could quantify the true amount of 'evil/hate' brought about by Christianity (or religion in general) I think it would be about equal to the amount of broad-brush stereotyping Christianity receives, and these, individually, would be equal to the amount of good produced by the religion. This is a kind of trinity, perhaps the reason why planes and luxury yachts disappear in the HEART OF THE BURMUDA TRIANGLE!
*OooOhhOhhh* :vampire: :reaper: :smt088
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Hey MV, you bring the movie, I'll bring the popcorn. I'm in (if I can make it).
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
bornhere63
Fledgling

Post by bornhere63 »

I cannot speak for other Christians, but I have to love my neighbour and leave conviction to the Holy Spirit. I prefer to look for ways to celebrate qualities I can admire in gay friends. I am afraid that I deliberately avoid thinking of those qualities I can't admire.

Intolerance is not an answer. Just as Jesus ate with tax collectors and was kind to outcasts, I think he would find ways to love gay sinners, while eschewing that sin. After all, he never threw that stone at the woman caught in adultery. He never called her a name. He never yelled at her.

When I was at UVIC, every issue of the school newspaper, The Torch, contained several vitriolic articles and letters to the editor espousing hatred toward Christians. That level of sustained, repeated intolerance gave me a glimpse of the spiritual battery often committed against the gay community. I don't think either example represents the voices of the majority within those subcultures. Having been the victim of The Torch for a few years, I am reluctant to victimize others.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
bornhere63
Fledgling

Post by bornhere63 »

Note to sooperfreak: If the openly, passionately gay person came to church, s/he would be expected to behave with the decorum of the rest of the congregation. If s/he is there to share the common values being reinforced by the congregation there should be no problem. If s/he is there simply to agitate, I suspect that a couple of elders would invite her/him for a private conversation and leave the rest of the congregation to continue the celebration of their common faith.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

thamadman you actually seem like a decent sort. It would be wrong for me to dismiss any valid reasoning you've had in coming to your opinion simply because of grammar and sentence sturcture...and i don't. I do hate the metal noise you love so much, and its true I have little tolerance for it. My opinion about that music doesn't mean i couldn't have respect for you. Not too far back you and i might have talked things over after a couple hoots.

So it wouldn't be passing judgement on you or your character if i were to suggest that if you were to quit 'poluting' yourself with "angry white boy" music, pot, whatever else, you might set yourself up to alot more out of life and that might have some substantial benefits for you in the long run. Even though the electric lettuce makes people more mellow than alchohol, it doesn't erase the fact that it does have a negative impact on peoples minds and lives.

The bible doesn't exactly 'tell me so' but...oh wait:

Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse...Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies. Philippians 4:8

------------------------------------------------------------------

Intolerance is ugly, bitter and just plain ignorant.

Tolerance is nice, sweet, palatable.

But if it goes as far as accepting whats evil as good and whats good as evil it becomes useless and detremental. But thats really what we want right? Isn't it irritating to have someone, anyone, presume to tell us their perception of "the way it is" (or posting scriptural 'drivell') meanwhile we know they've got skeletons piled up in their closets - the hipocrites.
But If we dismiss everything out of hand because of justifiable contempt we might be ripping ourselves off. Maybe that's why it usually takes times of significant adversity before we're willing to allow even an ounce of humility to trickle through...and that (humility) is an essential ingredient in the recepe for knowing and trusting God.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Sobrohusfat, I have no idea what you're talking about, its relevance to the thread, or to themadman's post. But I'll tolerate, because tolerance is nice, sweet, and palatable.

I've encountered some errors trying to order the video (for some reason it keeps throwing me back to non-existent errors when I put in my credit card information, and I can never actually get hold of anybody over the phone), but when I do eventually get it, I still intend to hold a screening, and I'll let you all know.

sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

- It relates in the general sense that the conversation trailed towards hate and intolerance.

- It was more specifically meant as a conversation with Thamadman including coments made on other threads. I just posted where we were at the time.

- I figured i might get some flak over it ... sorry.

- did'nt figure it would come within mere minutes of clicking the button though :biggrin:
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”