Secularism under attack?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Born_again
Guru

Secularism under attack?

Post by Born_again »

Recently I've read a couple of articles on Castanet which caused me to have reason for concern. The articles did not come out and just say it, but rather 'spoke in tongues' about how society has gone pear-shaped, and the only solution would be to install a church-run government, aka a Church State.
As insane and morally bankrupt as the notion is, for some, it represents the answer. To them I'd say, "READ THE FOLLOWING, and then tell me if you still think it's a big and clever idea!":

It is well-known that before the 2000 election, George Bush stated that he was certain that he had been chosen by God to lead the nation. We all debunked that, but he did manage to get “elected,” by a single vote, that of Justice O’Connor. She was a religious lady, and since there was no Constitutional basis for the Supreme Court’s decision in Bush v. Gore that had to be a second example of Divine Intervention in the politics of the Republicans, no?

Sarah Palin wrote:"Pray for our military. Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right for this country - that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she exhorted the congregation. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan."

George W Bush wrote:"I am driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

Palin, prior to her 'there is a plan and that it is God's plan' comment on the Iraq war, asked the audience to pray for a $30 billion national gas pipeline project because it was 'God's will to get that gas line built' as well.
Should we bother to mention banning library books as well?
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Re: Secularism under attack?

Post by hellomynameis »

Freedom from Religion Foundation:
http://ffrf.org/nontracts/xian.php

Catholic Education Resource Center:
http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/politics/pg0040.html

GAwd, after reading all of that I have lost a. all will to live, and b. the energy to add a meanful post beyond the links above.

I will be back!
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

This has been a concern of mine as well. Given that somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% of Americans consider themselves evangelical Christians it is not too surprising to see the "God said so" tactic come into play. There is little doubt in my mind that Christians will play a major role in shaping the future of the world, it simply remains to be seen whether it will be for good or evil. This is one reason I have studied the gospel, so that I can point out that Love is in fact the direction that Christians should be pursuing...
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

i guess when we as canadians let the americans do as they wish in the world we live in we will have no surprises when they say god told me your resources were ours and we will take them. when will we stop being blinded by human nature and use common sense about when and where god will actually talk to us. the wwjd is a good start. would jesus have attacked iraq? or would he have turned the other cheek? churches today have lost the plot just as bad as the crusaders did.
P.Challenger

Post by P.Challenger »

sooperphreek wrote:i guess when we as canadians let the americans do as they wish in the world we live in we will have no surprises when they say god told me your resources were ours and we will take them. when will we stop being blinded by human nature and use common sense about when and where god will actually talk to us. the wwjd is a good start. would jesus have attacked iraq? or would he have turned the other cheek? churches today have lost the plot just as bad as the crusaders did.

You prove the point that America continues to enact only secular policies. Sure, you can complain about a Christian politician talking about God if that is your prerogative but it is only that, his talk and your prerogative.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

unfortunately for your rebuttal their talk is plastered all over the american media and seen all over the world in soundbites. and yes i do like you have a perogative to what i see and want to address. if you would like to bury your head in the sand and hide beheind your religion and whitewash what high profile ambasadors for your religion are doing i guess that is your perogative as well. there is no mercy for secularists but there is unending grace for believers shaking the foundations of the world we live in and attacking a soverign country. doesnt anyone believe in personal responsability in religion anymore? when you sit before god you will have to answer for all youve done. i think starting a war is a ticket to hell.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

The politicians are so busy convincing us that we need to DIE for God (whatever your belief or denomination is), that we forget that the best way to serve Him (or her) is to LIVE for them.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”