Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
Air Wrench
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 919
Joined: Sep 10th, 2008, 12:25 am

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by Air Wrench »

mechanic_virus wrote:Do you honestly believe that story?


You should hear some of the ones the mormons have. Go check it out on the first Sunday of a month. Oh and bring snacks 'cause they will be hungry. Try not to laugh at all they crying men though.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by Mr Danksworth »

mechanic_virus wrote:Do you honestly believe that story?


Probably. A while back someone said that Jesus made an amputated limb grow back. They really will believe anything they hear when it comes it stories that reinforce their 'faith'. Too bad no one ever thinks to take before and after pictures. :flappingangel:
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35873
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by Glacier »

mechanic_virus wrote:Do you honestly believe that story?

How can one honestly believe or disbelieve these kinds of stories if they weren't there. A friend of mine swears he saw a sasquatch out in the coast mountains once. At first I laughed at him when he told me, but he rightly pointed out that I have no right to tell him what he saw when I wasn't there.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by Mr Danksworth »

^
True, but it doesn't constitute actual proof of a Samsquanch.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
unclemarty
Board Meister
Posts: 667
Joined: Jul 23rd, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by unclemarty »

Going down a empty country road in mid july 200? i noticed a guy walking along the road. Although he wasn't hitch-hiking, i slowed down, pulled over and asked him if he needed a lift. He answered in the affermative and got in. As he buckled-up i noticed a cross on the chain around his neck and asked: "so, are you a believer or is that just jewelery?"

Laughing he answered: "Yes i am, in fact i was just lamenting to God about how hot it is, how sore my feet are, and how far i still have to go...then you showed up and pulled over".


I can hear soulrat already: "Big deal - coincidence - proves nothing" ...well i am real, and was at the right place at the right time for someone else. Good enough for me.
PUT ME IN AGAIN COACH! :nyah:
"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
User avatar
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2630
Joined: Oct 14th, 2008, 10:20 am

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by Corneliousrooster »

I love reading all these stories who God comes to the assistance of people with tired feet and faulty mechanics. Does God always help people 1 at a time that really are not "Suffering" and are merely inconvenienced? Receding, you don't happen to drive a Chevy or GM product do you???? I have owned several and after about 10 years their Gas gauges tend to work in "mysterious ways".....

I am sure that a lot of prayers went on deaf ears during hurricane Katrina. Could the lord not have diverted it or were the innocent lives and homes destroyed a small price to pay to teach the republicans a lesson in response? How about the tsunami of 2004? This hit an area of some of the most spiritual people per capita on the planet.

Answering prayers to alliviate sore feet is kinda belittling the power that the lord possess's don't you think? Mysterious ways.....
User avatar
unclemarty
Board Meister
Posts: 667
Joined: Jul 23rd, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by unclemarty »

I see, so this is what you'd rather have?:

"Dad, can you give me a piggy back?... my feet a sore."

"Your feet!?! What the!? ... don't you know i'm behind in the bills and your sister needs braces!?...suck it up wuss!

In other words, until all deseases are cured, all pedephiles are rendered inpotent, and death has been revoked, God cannot exist?.
"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
User avatar
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2630
Joined: Oct 14th, 2008, 10:20 am

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by Corneliousrooster »

unclemarty wrote:I see, so this is what you'd rather have?:

"Dad, can you give me a piggy back?... my feet a sore."

"Your feet!?! What the!? ... don't you know i'm behind in the bills and your sister needs braces!?...suck it up wuss!

In other words, until all deseases are cured, all pedephiles are rendered inpotent, and death has been revoked, God cannot exist?.


Why would you think I would prefer to have the scenario you are painting??? I think it fantastic that you would be inclined to do a good deed and help a fellow man, i wish everyone was more inclined to help each other out.

I just find it strange that these are the examples of gods good will when there appears to be so many more substantial scenarios where so much more good could be done. These last couple of stories involved no peril, no great benefit to mankind, - it was just a couple of avoided inconveniences that God took time out of his busy day to remedy. God has all these great powers attributed to him yet never any powerful examples given of his great work.

This is kinda like if i had $100000000 to help alleviate some hardship and I can chose to buy insoles for people with tired feet or I can build a dyke to protect a community from an imminent flood - and i chose insoles. I am not going to say that it is impossible - only implausible.
Last edited by Corneliousrooster on Dec 4th, 2008, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
unclemarty
Board Meister
Posts: 667
Joined: Jul 23rd, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by unclemarty »

Corneliousrooster wrote: God has all these great powers attributed to him yet never any powerful examples given of his great work.


Why isn't every bad thing turned to the good and right? I don't know, but if you won't recognize the small and personal, waiting for the obvious and public might be a long lonely road.

Remember the famous question re the holocaust: "where was God!?"
and the response, "where was man?"
we all have a certain realm of influence, some reaching further than others. What we choose to do or not do within that, is what we'll be accountable for.

God's realm of influence is infinitely greater than mine. Knowing who i am prevents me from shaking my fist the times I perceive a devine "failure to perform". And there are most greivous times aren't there...I know.

http://dogood.aish.com:80/
"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
User avatar
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2630
Joined: Oct 14th, 2008, 10:20 am

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by Corneliousrooster »

My point being though, is why is every good fortune or act of good will attributed to God? I am not a believer and I do good things and good deeds. I have also been the recipient of good deeds and charity. Now someone in a position of hardship who is the recipient of good will - and is a believer - will now attribute the do gooder as being sent from God or that their prayers were answered. It is a reflection of perspective.

I think that the will of man has a far greater influence on us all then the will of god - good or Bad. Why can't it be perceived that some people are doing good things because they want to, not because of the influence or intervention of god.

I just find a lot of the foundation for prayer to be in the realm of selfishness ( I know a lot of people pray for others, I don't mean to come off that general) but a lot of prayer energy seems to be devoted to personal betterment or improving ones own current situation - regardless of the greater insufferables in the world around them. How big stars and musicians can give credit and attribute their wins to God, while terrible conflicts are afflicting their countries soldiers, natural disasters devastating their countries cities, etc.... - I find it just trivializes the powers that are attributed to God.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35873
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by Glacier »

Corneliousrooster wrote:I think that the will of man has a far greater influence on us all then the will of god - good or Bad. Why can't it be perceived that some people are doing good things because they want to, not because of the influence or intervention of god.

I just find a lot of the foundation for prayer to be in the realm of selfishness ( I know a lot of people pray for others, I don't mean to come off that general) but a lot of prayer energy seems to be devoted to personal betterment or improving ones own current situation - regardless of the greater insufferables in the world around them. How big stars and musicians can give credit and attribute their wins to God, while terrible conflicts are afflicting their countries soldiers, natural disasters devastating their countries cities, etc.... - I find it just trivializes the powers that are attributed to God.

Rooster, you raise several very good points. I agree that a lot of prayer revolves around "keep me and my loved ones safe, rich, and healthy" (although I highly doubt this is how Mother Teresa prayed). I have actually seen people ask God for something I thought was ridiculous and then get mad at God when they didn't get it. So, I said, "Maybe God said no."
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
Tumult
Board Meister
Posts: 479
Joined: Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:38 am

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by Tumult »

Corneliousrooster wrote:....why is every good fortune or act of good will attributed to God?

Maybe it's just to much of a mouthful to say "Thank random chance."?

Corneliousrooster wrote:I think that the will of man has a far greater influence on us all then the will of god - good or Bad. Why can't it be perceived that some people are doing good things because they want to, not because of the influence or intervention of god.


It can. In your own words, "It is a reflection of perspective." If you do not perceive "the will of god" in something, that is a reflection of your perspective, but you should accept that other's perspectives include "the will of god".

Corneliousrooster wrote:I just find a lot of the foundation for prayer to be in the realm of selfishness ( I know a lot of people pray for others, I don't mean to come off that general) but a lot of prayer energy seems to be devoted to personal betterment or improving ones own current situation - regardless of the greater insufferables in the world around them. How big stars and musicians can give credit and attribute their wins to God, while terrible conflicts are afflicting their countries soldiers, natural disasters devastating their countries cities, etc.... - I find it just trivializes the powers that are attributed to God.


Perhaps it is just as you say, that the "prayer energy" which is "attributed to God" is being misused for trivial selfishness.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Tumult wrote: "prayer energy"


How does one go about measuring prayer energy? Hours spent on your knees hoping something will happen? I'd rather just go out and do it myself instead of waiting for the gods to help me.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
Tumult
Board Meister
Posts: 479
Joined: Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:38 am

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by Tumult »

soulra wrote:
Tumult wrote: "prayer energy"


How does one go about measuring prayer energy? Hours spent on your knees hoping something will happen? I'd rather just go out and do it myself instead of waiting for the gods to help me.


Well, there are many answers to this question. Take your pick.

How does one go about measuring prayer energy?

With a prayer energy meter. Look for it on eBay, I expect it would be similar to the Time Machine from Napoleon Dynamite.

How does one go about measuring prayer energy?

Corneliousrooster was the one to bring that term into the discussion, so perhaps he can answer that.

How does one go about measuring prayer energy?

Me, personally, I don't measure prayer energy.

How does one go about measuring prayer energy?

Nobody measures it, it doesn't exist.

How does one go about measuring prayer energy?

I expect that those who would apply a "measure" to prayer energy would measure it by how effective it was.

How does one go about measuring prayer energy?

First you must find a substance that reacts to prayer energy then you can build an apparatus to move a needle over a scale based on how much the substance reacts. Perhaps if prayer energy is in wave format you could "pick it up" with some kind of receiver and display its frequency on an oscilloscope type device.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
User avatar
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2630
Joined: Oct 14th, 2008, 10:20 am

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Tumult wrote:How does one go about measuring prayer energy?
Corneliousrooster was the one to bring that term into the discussion, so perhaps he can answer that.


Due to the current popularity, I am considering coining the phrase.....

All I meant was the energy put forth to pray for some personal betterment. "Energy" could easily be substituted with "effort".

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”