Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Tumult
Board Meister

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by Tumult »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
Tumult wrote:How does one go about measuring prayer energy?
Corneliousrooster was the one to bring that term into the discussion, so perhaps he can answer that.

Due to the current popularity, I am considering coining the phrase.....

All I meant was the energy put forth to pray for some personal betterment. "Energy" could easily be substituted with "effort".

You should really read The Brain that Changes itself or watch the Nature of Things program of the same name. The flexible abilities of the human brain are truly amazing. I think you would really appreciate the information they present.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Cool - thanks for that

I found it already and will start watching it (I should have time right now)

and for you .....

I HIGHLY recommend reading "The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan. This book shines a HUGE light in a very intelligent and articulate way in which man embraces superstition yet fears Science even though our lives are fully engulfed in science that 99% of the population have little or no concept of (electricity for example)

A great EYE opening read (and no it does not attack religion but may make you view it in a slightly different light....)
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

Corneliousrooster wrote:Cool - thanks for that

I found it already and will start watching it (I should have time right now)

and for you .....

I HIGHLY recommend reading "The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan. This book shines a HUGE light in a very intelligent and articulate way in which man embraces superstition yet fears Science even though our lives are fully engulfed in science that 99% of the population have little or no concept of (electricity for example)

A great EYE opening read (and no it does not attack religion but may make you view it in a slightly different light....)

Thanks, I have listened to the audio version. I have respect for Carl Sagan. The fear of science is kinda warranted if you consider some of the horrors science has unleashed upon our little world. Science has had some dismal public relations in the past. Just look at the "Mad Scientist" idea from literature like Frankenstein. I love science but I'm concerned about our scientists when they do things like make cigarettes that burn longer and more evenly and kill you faster, tamper with DNA and viral technologies, Add "performance" to inefficient technologies like internal combustion engines, create pharmaceuticals that have a list of 20 side effects to suppress some minor irritation, etc.

We need (morally) good scientists.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Knowledge = power

and with great power comes responsibillity (Thanks spidey)

I think a heavy dose of morality needs to be doled out in Science, Religion and Politics. If money were not in the equation, we might have a better chance. ....
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Corneliousrooster wrote:Knowledge = power

I think a heavy dose of morality needs to be doled out in Science, Religion and Politics. If money were not in the equation, we might have a better chance. ....

:rate10:
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

recedingglacier wrote:

aggreed.
Sprinkle a dash of humility over the whole casserole and we have a winner! That would certainly propel us forward with great strides. Too bad the best we can hope for, when we wake up in the morning still in the real world, is to diligently apply that to ourselves - and maybe impart some of it to our kids.
"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

unclemarty wrote:
recedingglacier wrote:

aggreed.
Sprinkle a dash of humility over the whole casserole and we have a winner! That would certainly propel us forward with great strides. Too bad the best we can hope for, when we wake up in the morning still in the real world, is to diligently apply that to ourselves - and maybe impart some of it to our kids.

Positive qualities have a way of rippling out to create larger effects, let's hope they become a tsunami!
-Max Planck

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”