Politics & Religion

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Politics & Religion

Post by JLives »

When it comes to elections does religion play a role in who you choose?

Do you actively look to find out a candidates religious leanings?

Would the level of office make a difference if religion would affect your choice? (head of state vs. city council)

Would you vote for someone of a different religion than you? Vastly different (Buddhist, Muslim, Shinto)?

Would you vote for an athiest?

I'm asking these questions with the assumption that the candidates are meeting your requirements on the major issues important to you.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
usquebaugh
Guru

Re: Politics & Religion

Post by usquebaugh »

I vote against conservative Christians.
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

jennylives wrote:When it comes to elections does religion play a role in who you choose?
No, but a tendency of the individual to push policy based on their religious beliefs can certainly impact my vote, especially if it means being intolerant of certain members of the community or attempting to deny others of their rights based on a conflict of moral/religious nature.

No, but if I stumble across information of that regard I will take it into consideration.

Would the level of office make a difference if religion would affect your choice? (head of state vs. city council)
No.

Would you vote for someone of a different religion than you? Vastly different (Buddhist, Muslim, Shinto)?
Yes.

Yes.

I'm asking these questions with the assumption that the candidates are meeting your requirements on the major issues important to you.
So long as they meet my requirements and are not going to use their religion in a way that others may be negatively affected by it, I see no reason not to vote for them.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Yes, if a person is a fundamentalist, regardless of which religion, I will probably not vote for them because they are the most likely to let their religion affect their decisions.

Yes.

Of more importance at higher levels, for sure.

No problem there, but same thing applies, if the person is hardcore religious then forget it.

Hell yes. We probably all have at one point or another, since any politician at higher levels is, whether he is an atheist or not, going to dress himself in some flavour of religion in order to get the votes. There's no way a declared atheist would get in higher power in North America at this point.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

PS Great idea for a thread, Jennylives!
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Public office is a JOB! yes - we should hold our elected officials to a slightly higher standard than say - a fast food outlet, they are leaders and ROLE MODELS after all - but religion should play ZERO part in that role. if any one of us brought up a religious issue and tried to use it to influence policy at our places of work (be it employee or employer) it simply would not be allowed to happen - (yes the sihks got their way with the RCMP which still baffles me)providing there was religious diversity within the organization.

Yes - anyone using religion to help forward their agenda and to try and get the "sheep" votes loses mine

No - if they are going to use religion, they are usually pretty forthright with it - No active looking required

Level of government makes no difference - Religion is a personal matter and should be KEPT PERSONAL

Yes - as long as they were not using there religion to influence policy (I think if religion is going to interfere they should step back from the issue and let people who can think freely without religious bias make the decisions)

[/quote]

i would vote for an Atheist - not BECAUSE they were an Atheist. If they were the best person for the job, they would earn my vote.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Great topic, jennylives.

I don't care what their religious/spiritual beliefs are. Integrity, honesty, and respect of others are much more important, IMHO. I also think Dion would have made an excellent PM because of these traits.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

Religion and politics should remain separate.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

*should*.

But don't.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

No kidding! Power plus.... ohhhh nevermind. You know what I mean.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

kccayenne wrote:Religion and politics should remain separate.

Would be nice not going to happen. Our PM is some form evangelical and GWB is just wacko.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

One of the things I despise most about Western politics (at least here in Canada and the US) is that some parties (*coughCRAP - Conservative Reform Alliance Partycough*) want to see church and state merge while decrying theocracies in the Middle East. The Harperites are a lovely brand of hypocrisy.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I think there is misunderstanding on here about separation of Church and State. In the old country the State told the people what religion they had to follow. More specifically, which brand of Christianity they had to follow. People who did not follow the State religion came to North America to avoid persecution. As a result, when the U.S. was founded with the idea of the separation of Church and State meaning people could worship as they wished without the government telling them what they could or could not do or say.

The U.S. Constitution does not explicitly use the words, "Separation of Church and State", but
does state, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Both the free exercise clause and the establishment clause place restrictions on the government concerning laws they pass or interfering with religion. No restrictions are placed on religions except that a religious denomination cannot become the state religion.
Last edited by Glacier on Nov 2nd, 2008, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

see now glacier, you come out with this kind of post that feels like a gentle mist of calm and reason...makes me think maybe i should give that a try sometime...now get back here and throw in something derogatory or something willya.
"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

recedingglacier wrote:I think there is misunderstanding on here about separation of Church and State. In the old country the State told the people what religion they had to follow. For specifically, which brand of Christianity they had to follow. People who did not follow the State religion came to North America to avoid persecution. As a result, when the U.S. was founded with the idea of the separation of Church and State meaning people could worship as they wished without the government telling them what they could or could not do or say.

The U.S. Constitution does not explicitly use the words, "Separation of Church and State", but
does state, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Both the free exercise clause and the establishment clause place restrictions on the government concerning laws they pass or interfering with religion. No restrictions are placed on religions except that a religious denomination cannot become the state religion.

Yeah, but the crazy evangelicals like James Dobson want their particular brand to become the state religion, so I stand by what I wrote.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”