Things that make you say Hmmm

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Things that make you say Hmmm

Post by kgcayenne »

Puffy wrote:She has good family support, and money is not an issue.
I want to be to understand the situation better.

Oh... sorry Puffy, I was misunderstanding. I think that you may possibly never understand the situation unless you, yourself had to face the same. We can hypothesize all we want about how we would react to a situation, but until it actually happens TO us, we really can't know how we'll feel at the time. Marital turmoil is hard on everyone, not just the involved couple.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

kccayenne wrote:
Puffy wrote:She has good family support, and money is not an issue.
I want to be to understand the situation better.

Oh... sorry Puffy, I was misunderstanding. I think that you may possibly never understand the situation unless you, yourself had to face the same. We can hypothesize all we want about how we would react to a situation, but until it actually happens TO us, we really can't know how we'll feel at the time. Marital turmoil is hard on everyone, not just the involved couple.

I think that is what I am having a hard time. I think...so to speak I know what I would do, but am trying to take myself out of it, as it really has nothing to do with me,...but I am trying to give support...for what they want to do...

It is hard to do. Usually I have no problem...ie..don't pass judgement, and support their choices. For some reason this one is hard for me.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Puffy wrote:It has been an interesting sole searching experience for me,

I think you mean "soul", unless going to Codfather's is a religious experience for you! :D

ETA...sorry...what does repented mean?

Repentant - feeling or expressing remorse for misdeeds.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

damn...I really have to learn how to spell.

Sorry
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

if it's any consolation, your spelling was correct, it was just the wrong word. :D

Just go look on that "English is hard" thread, it'll make you feel better.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

When my kids ask to help them with spellin...I say...you'll only learn if you look it up...heehee

I will work again today on reevaluating my position as a person of support, taking my beliefs out of the equation.

It is interesting...I always said the only reason I would get divorced is physical abuse to my kids or me, and if he cheated on me....4 years with probably more than 100 women...that would do it for me.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

social constraints are a thing of the past in the church nowdays. people divorce in evangelical circles all the time with less and less stigma attached. the classic example is how you cant have sex before marriage so you marry as fast as you can and bang eachother but then you are living together and are married. especially amongst the young aldults. then inevitably they divorce a year later. why not just have a shag and then see if it will work for ya.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

sooperphreek wrote: why not just have a shag and then see if it will work for ya.

Your shagging shouldn't determine the quality of your marriage. Marriage should be based on mutual love and respect for each other. If you don't respect your partner's wishes before marriage, will you afterwards?

The problem is the church tells its young members what to do, but it seldom tells them how to follow through. For example, they say no sex before marriage, but they never tell you that you can only think with one head at a time.

A woman marries a man expecting him to change, but he doesn't.
A man marries a woman expecting her not to change, but she does.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
chickenlittle
Fledgling

Post by chickenlittle »

Phoenix Within wrote:Repentant - feeling or expressing remorse for misdeeds.

Actually that is our modern definition of the word. The original Greek word "repent" translates as "to turn and see anew". It does not necessarily have to involve remorse, self loathing or pennance. Most of these things have been added by the Church over the last 2000 years.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

chickenlittle wrote:
Phoenix Within wrote:Repentant - feeling or expressing remorse for misdeeds.

Actually that is our modern definition of the word. The original Greek word "repent" translates as "to turn and see anew". It does not necessarily have to involve remorse, self loathing or pennance. Most of these things have been added by the Church over the last 2000 years.

True, I just grabbed the closest definition I could find online. It suited the current topic. What it was and what it is now is two different things, but I think I like the greek definition.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”