Easter

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Easter

Post by Captain Awesome »

So, from what I understand Easter is one of the important holidays in Christian culture. I alo know that easter is to celebrate resurrection of Jesus Christ. Jesus died for your sins, and two days later he was back at full force.

Now, I need your help. What's the connection between resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ and a giant bunny rabbit hiding chocolate eggs?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Air Wrench
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Easter

Post by Air Wrench »

Jesus loves me. I know these because he sent his only begotten bunny to bring me chocolate. This makes me happy. Thank you Jesus. Thank you bunny.

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
sqrle

Post by sqrle »

Well, I don't know how to tell you this but to say that Easter, as you know it, has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus. It is another one of those pagan holidays that has been "modified" to entice them to take up a new religion. The eggs and bunnies are simply symbols of fertility. The only similarity with Jesus and Easter is the approximate time in the year in wich it all happened. The following is a small exerpt from a book of mine.

Is It Easter—or Astarte?

This family’s holiday festivities begin early in the morning as they rise to greet the sunrise with reverent awe. The children are decked in the best new finery, complete with new bonnets. The celebration includes emblems of rabbits, baskets full of gaily colored eggs, and hot cross buns. It must be Easter. Or is it?

Springtime was sacred to the sex worshipers of Phoenicia. Their fertility goddess, Astarte, or Ishtar (Aphrodite to the Greeks), had as her symbols the egg and the hare. She had an insatiable thirst for blood and immoral sex. Her statues variously depicted her as having rudely exaggerated sex organs or with an egg in her hand and a rabbit at her side. Sacred prostitution was part of her cult. In Canaan, the sex goddess was styled the wife of Baal. She was honored by drunken sex orgies, the worshipers believing that their sexual intercourse helped to bring about the full awakening and mating of Baal with his wife. According to the book Recent Discoveries in Bible Lands, “in no country has so relatively great a number of figurines of the naked goddess of fertility, some distinctly obscene, been found.”

Beneath memorials to her in Carthage, brightly colored urns were discovered containing the charred bones of little children. Their parents, commonly people of rank and title, sought the blessing of the gods on their wealth and influence. Some of the urns were found to contain the remains of several children of different ages, perhaps of the same family.

Even the name Easter is barely different from the ancient pagan name. Is this, then, the way to honor the holy Son of God?
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Air Wrench wrote:Jesus loves me, he loves me a bunch...
Cause he puts Skippy, in my lunch!

I recently made a decision to start attending church, after many years of not attending.

What made me realize that I had left my Christian faith many years ago, was that I no longer acted narrow minded and judgemental.
Air Wrench
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Air Wrench »

I always wondered how that peanut got on top of the peanut butter in the jar…Jesus put it there! Cool. Now if Jesus would kill my brother so I get to eat the peanut all the time…

OMG (no pun intended), I have proof God exists! Peanut butter and chocolate!
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Sorry. God is not responsible for the peanut butter/chocolate situation.

http://media.putfile.com/Family-Guy---C ... nut-Butter
Air Wrench
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Air Wrench »

But is says in the Bible that he...oh...er sorry I mean He, created all things. He loves you, why do you not love him back? You can make that cheque out to the name on the front of the building...k thanks.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Oh come on, I was being serious!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

There's a serious answer to Jesus and His chocolate egg laying pet bunny???

I sure hope Jesus had his bunny fixed!
Air Wrench
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Air Wrench »

I sure hope Jesus had his bunny fixed!

The better half would disagree…the more chocolate the better.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Air Wrench wrote:The better half would disagree…the more chocolate the better.

Or no chocolate if the city culls him!
Air Wrench
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Air Wrench »

If you stomp oh its head would chocolate come out?
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

http://www.religioustolerance.org/easter1.htm

The name "Easter" originated with the names of an ancient Goddess and God. The Venerable Bede, (672-735 CE.) a Christian scholar, first asserted in his book De Ratione Temporum that Easter was named after Eostre (a.k.a. Eastre). She was the Great Mother Goddess of the Saxon people in Northern Europe. Similarly, the "Teutonic dawn goddess of fertility [was] known variously as Ostare, Ostara, Ostern, Eostra, Eostre, Eostur, Eastra, Eastur, Austron and Ausos." 1 Her name was derived from the ancient word for spring: "eastre." Similar Goddesses were known by other names in ancient cultures around the Mediterranean, and were celebrated in the springtime. Some were:

Aphrodite from ancient Cyprus
Ashtoreth from ancient Israel
Astarté from ancient Greece
Demeter from Mycenae
Hathor from ancient Egypt
Ishtar from Assyria
Kali, from India
Ostara a Norse Goddess of fertility.

An alternative explanation has been suggested. The name given by the Frankish church to Jesus' resurrection festival included the Latin word "alba" which means "white." (This was a reference to the white robes that were worn during the festival.) "Alba" also has a second meaning: "sunrise." When the name of the festival was translated into German, the "sunrise" meaning was selected in error. This became "ostern" in German. Ostern has been proposed as the origin of the word "Easter". 2

There are two popular beliefs about the origin of the English word "Sunday."
It is derived from the name of the Scandinavian sun Goddess Sunna (a.k.a. Sunne, Frau Sonne). 5,6

It is derived from "Sol," the Roman God of the Sun." Their phrase "Dies Solis" means "day of the Sun." The Christian saint Jerome (d. 420) commented "If it is called the day of the sun by the pagans, we willingly accept this name, for on this day the Light of the world arose, on this day the Sun of Justice shone forth."

Pagan origins of Easter:

Many, perhaps most, Pagan religions in the Mediterranean area had a major seasonal day of religious celebration at or following the Spring Equinox. Cybele, the Phrygian fertility goddess, had a fictional consort who was believed to have been born via a virgin birth. He was Attis, who was believed to have died and been resurrected each year during the period MAR-22 to MAR-25. "About 200 B.C. mystery cults began to appear in Rome just as they had earlier in Greece. Most notable was the Cybele cult centered on Vatican hill ...Associated with the Cybele cult was that of her lover, Attis (the older Tammuz, Osiris, Dionysus, or Orpheus under a new name). He was a god of ever-reviving vegetation. Born of a virgin, he died and was reborn annually. The festival began as a day of blood on Black Friday and culminated after three days in a day of rejoicing over the resurrection." 3

Wherever Christian worship of Jesus and Pagan worship of Attis were active in the same geographical area in ancient times, Christians "used to celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus on the same date; and pagans and Christians used to quarrel bitterly about which of their gods was the true prototype and which the imitation."

Many religious historians believe that the death and resurrection legends were first associated with Attis, many centuries before the birth of Jesus. They were simply grafted onto stories of Jesus' life in order to make Christian theology more acceptable to Pagans. Others suggest that many of the events in Jesus' life that were recorded in the gospels were lifted from the life of Krishna, the second person of the Hindu Trinity. Ancient Christians had an alternative explanation; they claimed that Satan had created counterfeit deities in advance of the coming of Christ in order to confuse humanity. 4 Modern-day Christians generally regard the Attis legend as being a Pagan myth of little value. They regard Jesus' death and resurrection account as being true, and unrelated to the earlier tradition.

Wiccans and other modern-day Neopagans continue to celebrate the Spring Equinox as one of their 8 yearly Sabbats (holy days of celebration). Near the Mediterranean, this is a time of sprouting of the summer's crop; farther north, it is the time for seeding. Their rituals at the Spring Equinox are related primarily to the fertility of the crops and to the balance of the day and night times. Where Wiccans can safely celebrate the Sabbat out of doors without threat of religious persecution, they often incorporate a bonfire into their rituals, jumping over the dying embers is believed to assure fertility of people and crops.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

AirWrench and OneStop wake up in the twilight zone:

"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”