The New Atheism

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Re: The New Atheism

Post by Mr Danksworth »

chad_k wrote:I didn't say it's not good to read other books and I didn't say anything against science. The only difference is that, to me, they verify my belief in God...but clearly you're not interested in anything but your own views, so I'm not going to bother wasting time replying to you anymore.

What makes you think that you can come into a thread entitled 'The New Atheism", start spouting creationist nonsense, and not get taken to task? And whine about it when you do? Give me a break.

Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
chad_k
Fledgling

Post by chad_k »

Aside from that cartoon being extremely stereotypical and assuming, I find it humorous you posted it because it portrays the complete opposite of what's going on in this thread. I'm telling you that you can have your beliefs, just let me have mine too. You, on the other hand, are calling me an idiot and loudly ripping on my belief system.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

chad_k wrote:Aside from that cartoon being extremely stereotypical and assuming, I find it humorous you posted it because it portrays the complete opposite of what's going on in this thread. I'm telling you that you can have your beliefs, just let me have mine too. You, on the other hand, are calling me an idiot and loudly ripping on my belief system.

Its okay, some people are just intolerant or other's beliefs. Nothing you can do about it.
Last edited by Glacier on Dec 2nd, 2008, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

There's evidence evolution can happen, but I've never seen solid evidence as to how all the variety of life here evolved from a ball of magma, on the contrary there are scientific studies saying the odds of this happening are basically zero. Even without scientific studies I find it easier to believe that a much advanced being could help things along on Earth much the same as we'll try to make Mars habitable. Some believe that a bee, a tree, and a chimpanzee all have the same molten ball as their "mother"... just seems strange that someone who believes that could laugh at others' beliefs.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

How is it there is a *new* Atheism? Atheism is far from new; the Bible even mentions those who claim there is no God.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

kccayenne wrote:How is it there is a *new* Atheism? Atheism is far from new; the Bible even mentions those who claim there is no God.

You are right, kc. Atheism is not new, but what the OP was referring to is the modern day self-righteous holier than thou atheism. Not new per se, but new to the modern age. Atheists have always existed even during the predominantly Christian era, but they used to be in such small numbers they were ostracized for the faith.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

Zzontar what molten ball are you talking about?

You do not get a molten ball from your mother.

If you have not seen enough evidence to support evolution you have not looked hard enough or at all.

Of course you find it easier to believe we were all magically placed here. So did the people who wrote the old testament a few thousand years ago. A lot of people find it easier to think there computer just magically poofs your emails and such into the appropriate inbox but its a little more complex then that.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

JonyDarko wrote:Zzontar what molten ball are you talking about?

You do not get a molten ball from your mother.

If you have not seen enough evidence to support evolution you have not looked hard enough or at all.

Of course you find it easier to believe we were all magically placed here. So did the people who wrote the old testament a few thousand years ago. A lot of people find it easier to think there computer just magically poofs your emails and such into the appropriate inbox but its a little more complex then that.

What molten ball? The Earth... feel free to show solid scientific evidence how all life evolved from the primordial soup. Maybe you know people that think computers are magic... personally, I don't know of any. I also don't believe we were placed here magically, so if you don't mind, I'll state my own beliefs.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

zzontar wrote:feel free to show solid scientific evidence how all life evolved from the primordial soup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_life
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

There is no proof that life started spontaneously from the primordial soup. That is the one thing atheists can't get out of science and it bugs the crap out of them.

I do believe in evolutions within species. It is quite obvious that survival of the fittest causes mutations in a species to be perpetrated if they are positive mutations that help in survival. There are nothing but theories about evolution between species.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

soulra wrote:
zzontar wrote:feel free to show solid scientific evidence how all life evolved from the primordial soup.

You're getting hypothesises and theories mixed up with solid scientific evidence.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

zzontar wrote:
soulra wrote:

You're getting hypothesises and theories mixed up with solid scientific evidence.

You miss the meaning of the Scientific Method. There is no such thing as solid scientific evidence, Science is the method consisting of the collection of data through observation and experimentation, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Big ned wrote:That is the one thing atheists can't get out of science and it bugs the crap out of them.

Not really. I have no problem with not knowing everything right now. I have confidence that it will all be worked out. What does bug me is people pre-supposing god and shoehorning it in wherever there is limited knowledge. Goddidit is not an acceptable answer to 99% of the scientific community.

JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

zzontar wrote: but I've never seen solid evidence as to how all the variety of life here evolved from a ball of magma, on the contrary there are scientific studies saying the odds of this happening are basically zero.

Show me these studies. I have a feeling you are talking about Creationist Probability"but I could be wrong" and it has been proven false since the mid eighties or earlier.

It's called Abiogenesis, I know your going to pull the theory card with out even knowing the scientific definition of theory but if you do a small amount of research you will find the proof you need.
chickenlittle
Fledgling

Post by chickenlittle »

jony darko wrote:It's called Abiogenesis, I know your going to pull the theory card with out even knowing the scientific definition of theory but if you do a small amount of research you will find the proof you need.

Its funny... no intelligent scientist today has managed to take a bunch of organic molecules and actually assemble them into a living cell, yet it supposedly happened on its own randomly in nature. And believing in a higher power is a stretch???

Not to mention the fact that there is no evidence that all of the many different types of organic molecules needed to form a protein or the many different proteins that would be required to form a strand of DNA/RNA have ever randomly occured in one place. Even if they did somehow manage to all show up in one place they just randomly assembled themselves into the right proteins and then magically the proteins just lined themselves up into cells. WOW talk about BLIND faith.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”