The New Atheism

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: The New Atheism

Post by zzontar »

The first organism would also have know and have the ability to find and consume other organisms, to be able to turn that organism into energy, and to know and to know how to reproduce, all with no forefathers, previous genetics, or blueprints of any sort. How would it know to do all these things when it's just the result of lightning striking the elements?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35816
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: The New Atheism

Post by Glacier »

zzontar wrote:The first organism would also have know and have the ability to find and consume other organisms, to be able to turn that organism into energy, and to know and to know how to reproduce, all with no forefathers, previous genetics, or blueprints of any sort. How would it know to do all these things when it's just the result of lightning striking the elements?
You just have to have faith that it did. If you don't have enough faith you're dumb, stupid, and ignorant.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2630
Joined: Oct 14th, 2008, 10:20 am

Re: The New Atheism

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Why must everything have this "intelligence" or "programing" in order to function? Science is relatively new on the grand scheme of things, and great strides have been made in a short time. In this short time we have discovered and divided the elements that make up most everything that we have ever as a species come into contact with. Look at Hydrogen for example. Pretty necessary as a part of the air we breathe and the water we drink. Pretty dangerous when isolated and manipulated by man. Was it in Gods plan for man to eventually be able to identify and manipulate something so dangerously powerful? Man has dabbled with many of the elements to design chemicals that can be helpful and quite dangerous. Same goes for some of the reactions caused by these chemicals.

We as humans have not yet figured out how to create life or what the "secret" is, but we have accidentally figured out how to mutate Gods creations. Remember Thalidimide??? What secret "intelligence" or "programing" is in these molecules that can have such horrendous results? Why has God gone to such great lengths to give instructions on living but zero instructions on the components of life?
User avatar
Tumult
Board Meister
Posts: 479
Joined: Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:38 am

Re: The New Atheism

Post by Tumult »

Corneliousrooster wrote:Why must everything have this "intelligence" or "programing" in order to function?


Because without it, it doesn't function?

Corneliousrooster wrote:Science is relatively new on the grand scheme of things, and great strides have been made in a short time.

Great strides to the edge of a gaping precipice...

Corneliousrooster wrote:In this short time we have discovered and divided the elements that make up most everything that we have ever as a species come into contact with.

Maybe that's not the best way to interface with reality.

Corneliousrooster wrote:Look at Hydrogen......dangerous when isolated and manipulated by man.....dangerously powerful... Man has dabbled with many of the elements to design chemicals that can be helpful and quite dangerous.


Corneliousrooster wrote:We as humans have not yet figured out........what the "secret" is, but we have accidentally figured out how to mutate .... creations.


Man sounds pretty dangerous!

Corneliousrooster wrote:.....instructions on living............life?


Maybe if we actually figure out how to live we can answer your questions.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
User avatar
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2630
Joined: Oct 14th, 2008, 10:20 am

Re: The New Atheism

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Tumult wrote:Corneliousrooster wrote:
Why must everything have this "intelligence" or "programing" in order to function?

Because without it, it doesn't function?


Molecular properties you are confusing with intelligence and programming. They are hardly the same thing. People try to give human attributes to all of gods creations because that is all we know so these principles are applied to. Until more is learned and revealed it doesn't "make it so".

there are Oxygen molecules within you that are currently a part of " your being" - at one time this exact molecule might have been part of a river or ocean, that later became part of air that was breathed in by a frog and in turn bcame part of "its being". This oxygen molecule has certain properties that pertain to all oxygen molecules - depending on what other molecules it comes into contact with (quite randomly) and what properties those molecules possess, the out come of where that Oxygen molecule ends up and what it becomes can be very different.
User avatar
Tumult
Board Meister
Posts: 479
Joined: Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:38 am

Re: The New Atheism

Post by Tumult »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
Tumult wrote:Corneliousrooster wrote:
Why must everything have this "intelligence" or "programing" in order to function?

Because without it, it doesn't function?


Molecular properties you are confusing with intelligence and programming. They are hardly the same thing. People try to give human attributes to all of gods creations because that is all we know so these principles are applied to. Until more is learned and revealed it doesn't "make it so".


I am not confusing it for intelligence, you asked why everything must have this "intelligence" or "programming" in order to function. If intelligence or programming is not needed for everything to function then why ask such a question? If it's just molecular properties then there is your answer, no intelligence needed. All information we receive is translated through our intelligence (consciousness) and thus it is natural that we see intelligence in everything. Whether this is the "god" that you seek is for you to determine.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
User avatar
Tumult
Board Meister
Posts: 479
Joined: Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:38 am

Re: The New Atheism

Post by Tumult »

recedingglacier wrote:
zzontar wrote:The first organism would also have know and have the ability to find and consume other organisms, to be able to turn that organism into energy, and to know and to know how to reproduce, all with no forefathers, previous genetics, or blueprints of any sort. How would it know to do all these things when it's just the result of lightning striking the elements?


You just have to have faith that it did. If you don't have enough faith you're dumb, stupid, and ignorant.

:hailjo:

Try NEW "Science Brand Faith"! It's logic - lee delicious! :spinball:
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: The New Atheism

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Sorry darlin' you got it all wrong. THIS is where blind faith will lead you. I'm sure they thought they were doing god's work. Science doesn't make people do these things.

18 Year Old Parents Exorcise Demons from 1 Year Old

Blaine Milam, and Jessica Carson are accused of having murdered their 13 month old child, in order to drive the demons out of her. This deranged, 18 year old couple should never be allowed to have children ever again, and should be kept away from society until the have been properly rehabilitated. The gruesome details of the story include blunt trauma, and over 20 human bites having been inflicted upon the child.
Exorcism is an all too often occurance in a country that pretends to be morally civilized. These notions of possession have permeated and perverted the view of thousands of followers of Christianity, and have led them to commit disgusting acts of violence against those labeled 'possessed'.


Lt. Reynold Humber, chief criminal investigator with the Rusk County Sheriff's Office, said sheriff officials received a 911 call around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday from the couple's home in the 13000 block of CR 2125 saying that the child was not breathing. Humber said once the first deputy arrived, paramedics informed him that the child was dead and there were suspicious circumstances. When detectives entered the residence around 11 a.m., Humber said they found the child on the floor of a bedroom with several injuries, including severe trauma that appeared to have been caused by a heavy object. Humber said when detectives asked about Amora's injuries, the couple gave several explanations, including that they had left the child unattended and someone broke in and bludgeoned her.
"The mother later confessed that Milam killed the child," Humber said. "They told us the child was possessed and they were trying to rid it of demons."
An arrest affidavit states Milam performed an exorcism and later states that after Milam attacked the child - with Carson witnessing the act - the couple drove to Henderson to pawn some items to pay for another exorcism.
"We believe they killed the child early in the morning, left to pawn their tools in Henderson, then came back and called 911," Humber said.
Milam was convicted earlier this year of aggravated sexual assault of a girl younger than 10 and has been serving a five-year probated sentence, according to Rusk County court records. The age and gender of that child was not immediately available. Milam also has been arrested on several charges of causing disturbances and family violence and assault at the CR 2125 residence.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: The New Atheism

Post by zzontar »

Wow, you're blaming the death on religion? The guy had several previous charges of family violence and has been charged with sexual assault on a little girl, don't you think the fact that he's a violent twisted freak would be more likely the cause of death? It seems anyone can do anything from killing their own kid to invading Iraq while using religion as their scapegoat, and you believe it's the fault of religion every time. Haven't you learned yet that talking the talk is way different than walking the walk?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: The New Atheism

Post by Mr Danksworth »

What about this one.....
http://jalopnik.com/5101888/man-rams-wo ... m-to-do-it
And this one....
http://www.local6.com/news/18203111/det ... n&psp=news
or this?
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/10/22/chi ... index.html

I could go on. I see around 10 such stories per day, every day. Religion poisons everything it touches.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: The New Atheism

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Tumult wrote:

Try NEW "Science Brand Faith"! It's logic - lee delicious! :spinball:


Image
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: The New Atheism

Post by zzontar »

Soulra, do you have a mind of your own? It gets tiresome when your replies consist of pasting cartoons from your favorite anti-religious websites. So if you claim religion makes people kill their own kids, run people off the road, etc. then why isn't everyone who's religious doing that? If you don't get that, let me explain further... if someone does some crazy stuff and blamed it on taking massive amounts of LSD that made him hallucinate, then you could believe it because everyone who did the same also hallucinated.

You say religion poisons everything it touches... if you don't see ANYTHING good that came from religion, you need help... next time you see a church raising funds to help the poor make sure you try to stop the horrible poison... really, you could grab the money they raised before they could give it to the needy... you'd make it to the news, you could say what they're doing is poison, then everyone can see what you're made of... I'm sure you'd be proud.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: The New Atheism

Post by Mr Danksworth »

The small amount of good does not outweigh the bad. And you don't need religion to do good in the first place.
I use the cartoons because they make the point nice and simply, so everyone understands. I could write paragraph after paragraph, but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: The New Atheism

Post by zzontar »

soulra wrote:The small amount of good does not outweigh the bad. And you don't need religion to do good in the first place.
I use the cartoons because they make the point nice and simply, so everyone understands. I could write paragraph after paragraph, but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.


I never claimed you have to be religious to do good, I just think using religion for an excuse when you do something bad is just shifting the blame, and they know there will be people like you who will believe anyone that does anything bad and just blames it on religion... I guess if people committed crimes in the name of soulra then you would obviously be to blame... do you get it yet?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: The New Atheism

Post by Mr Danksworth »

zzontar wrote:
soulra wrote:The small amount of good does not outweigh the bad. And you don't need religion to do good in the first place.
I use the cartoons because they make the point nice and simply, so everyone understands. I could write paragraph after paragraph, but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.


I never claimed you have to be religious to do good, I just think using religion for an excuse when you do something bad is just shifting the blame, and they know there will be people like you who will believe anyone that does anything bad and just blames it on religion... I guess if people committed crimes in the name of soulra then you would obviously be to blame... do you get it yet?


Their belief has something to do with their actions. Somebody taught them how to behave. Maybe if you are raised in a fundamentalist household your ability to think logically and critically are impaired, causing you not to know how to behave properly in society. Believing your daughter is possessed by demons is *bleep*, so is running someone off the road because they aren't driving like a 'christian'.....religion played a part somewhere did it not? Belief in demons and jesus don't just magically appear, it's a learned habit...and who did the teaching? Why should I respect religion when it produces idiocy like that?
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”