I'm an Atheist

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Re: I'm an Atheist

Post by OREZ »

How many people actually understand the science which draws conclusions about the existence of black holes, dark matter, or can determine not only the existence, but even the size of planets which orbit stars that are millions of light years away? Really, how many of us can do the math? I would think that the majority of people can't, and yet the majority of people do not seem to have a problem believing in this science. Does that not also require faith, or at the very least, trust in something which we may not understand?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

OREZ wrote:How many people actually understand the science which draws conclusions about the existence of black holes, dark matter, or can determine not only the existence, but even the size of planets which orbit stars that are millions of light years away? Really, how many of us can do the math? I would think that the majority of people can't, and yet the majority of people do not seem to have a problem believing in this science. Does that not also require faith, or at the very least, trust in something which we may not understand?

:9923: "yes, of course"
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

That's a very good question, Orez.

No, most people cannot comprehend black holes, how big the universe is, the power that keeps neutrons and protons together or any of those other heady issues. I understand some but I am no Stephen Hawking. Even though I don't now understand, I do understand the scientific method and I know that, if I applied myself, I could learn about those heady subjects and have a far better understanding of them.

I do not have to have 'faith' when it comes to black holes like I would to believe in God.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

OREZ wrote: Does that not also require faith, or at the very least, trust in something which we may not understand?

No it does not require faith.

The scientific method alleviates everyone of the responsibility of starting at first principles and deriving all of science. Before work is accepted into the body of knowledge we call "science" it must be peer reviewed by other scientists. This is a rigorous testing process. We ALL don't need to check the math of Einstein, Newton or Hawking because we can be sure that many others who are capable of understanding it have.

Why rely on the scientific method? Because it has been shown to successfully create explanations for natural occurances in the past.
Last edited by nolanrh on Jan 17th, 2009, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

writerdave wrote:I understand some but I am no Stephen Hawking. Even though I don't now understand, I do understand the scientific method and I know that, if I applied myself, I could learn about those heady subjects and have a far better understanding of them. I do not have to have 'faith' when it comes to black holes.

..like I would, to believe in God.

;-)

may your prayers be answered YodaDave.

1 Corinthians 13:12
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

eyepop wrote:may your prayers be answered YodaDave.

And may the Farce be with you, DarthPop.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

nolanrh wrote:While my stance on God may be obvious to many of you, I've avoided directly stating it. I've been scared of how a clear declaration might impact the rest of my life. Would a future employer pass me over, would an administrations officer reject my application, or worst of all would I alienate friends and family?

Sadly, alienation and discrimination are part of human nature. For every political, religious, philosophical, etc. position you take, you will always get people thinking you're stupid, or worse. Remember, it is their problem, not yours. Hang with people of many different faiths and political persuasions and don't worry about the ones that are too stuck up to have friends of different religious or political views.

Don't state your religious views on your resume because I once saw a resume tossed in the garbage because of it. The guy hiring was an atheist and the person's email address sounded religious. It could of course go the other way if the employer didn't like atheists.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Nolan, I find it ironic you are using Einstein as an example when it was he who said:
“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

kccayenne wrote:Nolan, I find it ironic you are using Einstein as an example when it was he who said:
“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”

:hailjo:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Though I only used Einstein as an example of a scientist who created hard to understand works, perhaps I should have left out names and just provided the Quantum Theory as an example instead. Obviously, the religious beliefs (or lack there of) of the scientists mentioned previously are irrelevant to my argument. However, for the sake of a slightly more complete picture of Einstein's thoughts I'll add the following quote.

the word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

Are you sure you're not an agnostic? You seem to have based your choice on the "lack of evidence" of a God. But there is also a distinct lack of evidence that there isn't a God. Neither can be proven at this point. If you think there may be a possibility of a God you could be an agnostic.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

FunkyBunch wrote: Are you sure you're not an agnostic? You seem to have based your choice on the "lack of evidence" of a God. But there is also a distinct lack of evidence that there isn't a God. Neither can be proven at this point.

That’s exactly true. The existence, or non-existence of God cannot be proven with either scientific method or logically reasoning. To attack a person’s intellect (by vague references to believing in pink unicorns, for example) proves nothing.

nolanrh wrote:
steven lloyd wrote: Have you really been concerned that people would care if you are an atheist or not an atheist ?

Try having a relationship with a Christian when you are openly Atheist and see how that goes.

Well, I’m not an atheist but I’m not religious either. I have a few Christian friends with whom I have no problem having a relationship, and I also have friends who are atheist and have no problem having a relationship with them either. Likewise, I know some Christians who are friends with some atheists. I think that perhaps you have just bumped up against some Christians of a more judgemental and intolerant stripe (not very Christian of them is it?). Really, though, it is not surprising to find some intolerant and judgmental people among a group of Christians as you are bound to find intolerant and judgmental people among any group. There are, for example, a number of them among the atheists on this board. No one group is superior to the other in this regard.

nolanrh wrote:
steven lloyd wrote: Why would it be your moral responsibility to criticize another person’s belief system?

For the same reason I'm morally obligated to criticize racism, sexism, ageism, and even religious discrimination.

By engaging in religious discrimination? I hope not. I agree with you in saying we have an obligation to speak out against such issues as you’ve identified. I find prejudice of any and all types to be particularly ugly (and that goes beyond race or religious choice to include prejudice against marginalized persons such as addicts and welfare recipients, for example). Prejudice is always based on ignorance (ie. not knowing) and while any one person can believe beyond any of their own doubt that God exists or not, that person cannot “know” that God exists or not. It is simply unknowable.

My beliefs on God are personal. I will share them if asked - otherwise I keep them to myself. At the same time I can objectively consider and appreciate the viewpoints and understanding held by atheists. At least until they start presuming to be intellectually superior because they are atheist. A person quickly loses credibility once they begin to display their ignorance.
Devil's Advocate
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Devil's Advocate »

I don't know that saying I am an Atheist would be an apt description of my thoughts on religion. Certainly there have been events in my life which can not be explained for which religion might offer explanation as illogical as it may be.

What I most certainly have a problem with is organized religion and most specifically the Christian mentality. I just can't buy it. All evidentiary illogic aside the blatant hypocrisy of it is beyond me. It is the source of all evil in North America today. It is the foundation of immoral government and debases our economic welfare.

If I were to seek out a religion to follow it would probably be Humanism, which is very likely, by the sound of it and that which I have read, something I anyway practice in my day to day life without intent.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Devil's Advocate wrote:I don't know that saying I am an Atheist would be an apt description of my thoughts on religion. Certainly there have been events in my life which can not be explained for which religion might offer explanation as illogical as it may be.

What I most certainly have a problem with is organized religion and most specifically the Christian mentality. I just can't buy it. All evidentiary illogic aside the blatant hypocrisy of it is beyond me. It is the source of all evil in North America today. It is the foundation of immoral government and debases our economic welfare.

If I were to seek out a religion to follow it would probably be Humanism, which is very likely, by the sound of it and that which I have read, something I anyway practice in my day to day life without intent.

ALL evil can be blamed on religion? All atheists can do no evil by that logic... thanks for sharing this informative piece of intelligence.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

PEOPLE all have the ability to be judgmental, prejudiced, and harsh. These traits know no religious boundaries.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”