Where do you stand on the probability of Thor's existence?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Where do you stand on the probability of Thor's existence?

Post by eyepop »

when was Thor ever 'dis-proven'?
how did he ever fall from favour?, or popularity, or our belief?

Guru

Re: Where do you stand on the probability of Thor's existence?

Post by usquebaugh »

I think we still believe in Thor on Thursday, Odin on Wednesday, Mars on Mardi (Tuesdays), and you get the picture. :)

ETA: The Goddess Freyja obviously gets Friday... which is the best day of the week. :sunshine:
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

To Thor or not to Thor that is the question my answer is #$%&^&^$#$%$%$.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

I have a Thor® hammer that has replaceable and interchangeable nylon/rubber/leather/copper heads that screw into the head.
As a young engineer I thought I had it all figured out; my toolbox was full -- or so I thought, then one day my world collapsed around me. I was tackling a tricky engineering problem of removing an interference-fit cog from a chromium magnesium molybdenum shaft with a threaded end. With astounding ignorance I allowed my faith in a ball-pein steel hammer to lead me down a path of evil and undoing. I damaged the shaft irreparably and I was left feeling empty of pocket and mind. I was lost, and I made many attempts to get back on track by using false tools, but they just led me to deeper pits of despair and wretchedness.
The wise elders of my engineering community did see that I was in the wilderness, so they quickly pointed out there was but one true redeemer, but to find it I must open my heart, mind and wallet. That's when I accepted Thor® into my life. He has been with me since, and has helped me fend off temptation and wickedness from many false hammers.
ImageImageImageImage
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

That's one smiting hammer. I believe. I BELIEVE in the POWAH of the HAMMAH!
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

Posting in a legendary thread.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Fact, lightning is proof of Thor's existence. Science is one of Loki's tricks to make you stray and keep you from entering Valhalla.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

soulra wrote:Fact, lightning is proof of Thor's existence. Science is one of Loki's tricks to make you stray and keep you from entering Valhalla.

Don't be silly, Zuess is the chucker of lightning and you have to die in battle to get into Valhalla.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

..and thus was formed the two main sects of the Thorians' religion.

the Tumultuous and the Soulless.

brothers torn asunder by dogma, belief.

Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Tumult wrote:
soulra wrote:Fact, lightning is proof of Thor's existence. Science is one of Loki's tricks to make you stray and keep you from entering Valhalla.

Don't be silly, Zuess is the chucker of lightning and you have to die in battle to get into Valhalla.

I beg to differ O'Tumultous One...

Thor is the mightiest champion of the Aesir Gods, the Protector and Hallower. It is Thor who defends Midgard and Asgard from the Jötunar (Giants: often destructive forces of entropy and chaos). The Thunder God's primary role is to maintain order and to protect the Gods, humans, alfs, and the Earth from destruction. Thor's famous Dwarf-made Hammer Mjollnir ("Crusher"?,"Miller"? or possibly cognate to the Russian molnya, "lightning") has the power of Lightning, and always returns to His hand when thrown. With its power and His enormous might, doubled by His magic Girdle of Strength, and the iron gauntlets with which He handles Mjollnir, He prevails against His enemies, and clears the ways of harmful wights. It is said that no thing living can stand against Thor. Although Thor is known as the Champion of the Gods, He is not known to take part in the battles of men on Earth. His strength comes from His holiness, which is unbearable to ill-willed beings, and He is not a God of unprovoked aggression. One of Thor's names is Óku-Thór (Driver-Thor), for He travels the skies and Earth in his chariot drawn by magical goats. Rolling thunder is the sound of Thor's chariot wheels as He rides the skies.

http://members.fortunecity.com/thundrune/thor.html
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

"..not known to take part in the battles of men on Earth. his strength comes from his holiness, and he is not a god of unprovoked aggression..."

i like him already.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Snorri Sturluson's Old Norse tales have a lot of influence on the Beowulf-poet's description of Beowulf, particularly his fatal fight with the Dragon (Beowulf 2711b-2717a). Þórr has been a part of English language and literature for more than a thousand years.

Þórr ber banaorð *bleep* Miðgarðsormi ok stígr þaðan braut níu fet. Þá fellr hann dauðr til jarðar fyrir eitri því, er ormrinn blæss á hann.
[Thor will be the death of the Midgard-serpent, and will step nine paces away from it. Then he will fall dead to the ground because of the venom that the serpent spit at him.]

(borrowed from Andy Orchard's A Critical Companion to Beowulf, p. 119)
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I was a fence sitter until I read this thread. Now I am pretty Thor it is true.

(There should have been a poll with this thread.)
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

:coffeecanuck: Nithe lithp, writerdave.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”