And this is why people leave the Catholic Church

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
warden
Übergod

Re: And this is why people leave the Catholic Church

Post by warden »

zzontar wrote:Again I wonder if some people are not against the raping as much as they are against religion... there were so many rapes committed by soldiers abusing their powers in different wars it would make your head spin, yet not a single thread about it. Guaranteed if every soldier that kept his mouth shut and covered it up were priests, some folks on here would go crazy and their heads would pop right off about it yet wouldn't say a thing if it were the soldiers. Sad to use a horrible crime just to fuel a hatred.

Ummm...how do you know that people are just against religious rape? This is the 'Religion Forum' n'est-ce pas?. Not exactly the place to discuss rapes committed by soldiers and peace keepers.

If I remember correctly, there was a couple of threads in the World forum about a UN report issued about sexual abuse committed by peace keepers. Look back a bit. It's there. There've been others as well.

Additionally, just because the discussion here is about sex crimes committed by religious officials, you have no basis with which to assume that those involved in this discussion are not participating in protesting other groups found to be committing sex crimes. The Castanet forum is not the be-all end-all of outrage and those that post here might not discuss every activity they're involved in.

It's awfully presumptuous to assume that those that post here are of singular purpose, and that purpose is hatred. :127:
Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I just call them as I see them. There was a post a while back about the Africans raping kids and virgins by the thousands believing that it would cure AIDS, yet there were only a fraction of the responses compared to priests abusing kids. I even brought up the point with Soulra... only then did he reply that it was a horrible tragedy... does he bash the Africans or the army? Nope, because his hate is for religion.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

zzontar wrote:I just call them as I see them. There was a post a while back about the Africans raping kids and virgins by the thousands believing that it would cure AIDS, yet there were only a fraction of the responses compared to priests abusing kids. I even brought up the point with Soulra... only then did he reply that it was a horrible tragedy... does he bash the Africans or the army? Nope, because his hate is for religion.

Actually, there are almost twice as many posts in that thread as there are in here!
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

2 pages of responses is nowhere near all the comments about abusive priests throughout the religious threads.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

zzontar wrote:2 pages of responses is nowhere near all the comments about abusive priests throughout the religious threads.

So start up a thread in Social Concerns or the World Forum, but don't get *bleep* off because people express outrage over the things done by a particular religious institution in this forum.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

As proven, rape doesn't generate a lot of interest on here unless it's done by priests. That's why there have been numerous times that someone has stated something good about religion only to have responses about the abuse by priests... when people talk about the good the soldiers do overseas no one ever pipes up about the rapes committed by them... it's pretty easy to see where the concern is.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

zzontar wrote:As proven, rape doesn't generate a lot of interest on here unless it's done by priests. That's why there have been numerous times that someone has stated something good about religion only to have responses about the abuse by priests... when people talk about the good the soldiers do overseas no one ever pipes up about the rapes committed by them... it's pretty easy to see where the concern is.

How delightfully hypocritical of you to point fingers at others for not creating threads on the subject of rape by soldiers, when you yourself haven't started any such threads. You're simply using the lack of threads on the subject as a rather pathetic ploy to criticize people who are having a discussion about the Catholic Church's disgusting history of hiding sexual abuse and rape.

I hate it when Catholics get all up in arms over abortion, but did they picket their god-damned churches when the horrors of the residential schools came to light? No. Bloody hypocrites.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I think the RC church is very guilty of covering up, as is the army, but for one to say they're against religion because of the cover-ups would mean one is against the actual cover-ups, so shouldn't apply to religion only. People are generally more vocal about abusive priests if they're not religious, against sexism if it's against their sex, against racism if it's their race, against ref's bad calls against their favorite hockey team but not against the other team, and so on, and so on... hypocrisy is everywhere, it's just more obvious to some that certain justifications are just a farce for the real motive.

I hate it when Catholics get all up in arms over abortion, but did they picket their god-damned churches when the horrors of the residential schools came to light? No. Bloody hypocrites.

I hate it when people generalize that all Catholics are fine with the atrocities. I'm not even Catholic, but I've never met one that said the residential school horrors were just fine, how about you?
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

zzTop wrote:hate it when people generalize that all Catholics are fine with the atrocities. I'm not even Catholic, but I've never met one that said the residential school horrors were just fine, how about you?

I didn't say you're a Catholic, did I? I've never met a Catholic who protested the horrors of the residential schools outside those schools, but I've met ones who picket hospitals and abortion clinics....
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Our government put native kids in schools and many of those kids were abused... I guess I'll see you outside a government building, picket sign in hand?
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

zzontar wrote:Our government put native kids in schools and many of those kids were abused... I guess I'll see you outside a government building, picket sign in hand?

Our government put religious officials in charge of those schools, and yes I am not impressed by what the federal Liberal and Conservative governments have done in the past (and how little they're currently doing to make certain that First Nations, Inuit, and Métis communities have clean drinking water).
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”