Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 24998
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2008, 5:06 pm

Re: Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Post by Captain Awesome »

And if somebody plz explain what exactly qualifies as homophobic. Beating gay people up? Throwing up uncontrollably when watching Lord of the Rings? Pointing at gay people in public and making fun of their hair? Cause if people just don't like certain gay people, that alone is not enough to be homophobic, is it?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
User avatar
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3171
Joined: May 17th, 2007, 5:22 am

Re: Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Post by hellomynameis »

CaptainAwesome wrote:And if somebody plz explain what exactly qualifies as homophobic. Beating gay people up? Throwing up uncontrollably when watching Lord of the Rings? Pointing at gay people in public and making fun of their hair? Cause if people just don't like certain gay people, that alone is not enough to be homophobic, is it?



I'd define it as someone who has a combination of distaste, bigotry and fear toward homosexuals in general.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
User avatar
NoOne
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 764
Joined: Sep 10th, 2008, 11:06 pm

Re: Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Post by NoOne »

other posters would define homophobic as a homosexual who has not "come out of the closet" yet.

to me a homophobic person is someone with a genetic trait that causes them to judge people negatively based on their sexual preferences.

and i think some one who finds it distasteful is not homophobic. it just means it is not to their tastes, which would be straight sex, just as homosexual would find straight sex distasteful. you may drink tea and find coffee distasteful but it doesn't mean you hate coffee drinkers.
User avatar
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 24998
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2008, 5:06 pm

Re: Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Post by Captain Awesome »

Hellomynameis wrote:
CaptainAwesome wrote:And if somebody plz explain what exactly qualifies as homophobic. Beating gay people up? Throwing up uncontrollably when watching Lord of the Rings? Pointing at gay people in public and making fun of their hair? Cause if people just don't like certain gay people, that alone is not enough to be homophobic, is it?



I'd define it as someone who has a combination of distaste, bigotry and fear toward homosexuals in general.


So, if I'm flipping through channels and I see two guys kissing and I change the channel right away cause I really don't want to see it - that's homophobic?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
User avatar
Born_again
Guru
Posts: 5352
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 2:21 am

Re: Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Post by Born_again »

NoOne wrote:to me a homophobic person is someone with a genetic trait that causes them to judge people negatively based on their sexual preferences.

and i think some one who finds it distasteful is not homophobic. it just means it is not to their tastes, which would be straight sex, just as homosexual would find straight sex distasteful. you may drink tea and find coffee distasteful but it doesn't mean you hate coffee drinkers.


You will never come even close to winning that one I'm afraid. Try again.
Image
User avatar
NoOne
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 764
Joined: Sep 10th, 2008, 11:06 pm

Re: Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Post by NoOne »

Born_again wrote:
NoOne wrote:to me a homophobic person is someone with a genetic trait that causes them to judge people negatively based on their sexual preferences.

and i think some one who finds it distasteful is not homophobic. it just means it is not to their tastes, which would be straight sex, just as homosexual would find straight sex distasteful. you may drink tea and find coffee distasteful but it doesn't mean you hate coffee drinkers.


You will never come even close to winning that one I'm afraid. Try again.


they said that about homosexuals too a long time ago and it was proven true. i'm sure with millions of dollars and genetic research it will be proven true as well.
User avatar
Born_again
Guru
Posts: 5352
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 2:21 am

Re: Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Post by Born_again »

Genetics will slay your theory, unequivocally.
Image
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Post by steven lloyd »

NoOne wrote: perhaps, just perhaps, people that are homophobic can't help it. it's not a choice. they were born that way. and being a homosexual is exactly the same as being homophobic. it's just the way you were born


NoOne wrote: NoOne wrote: ... and being a homosexual is exactly the same as being homophobic. it's just the way you were born. some people are gay, some aren't. some people are homophobic, some aren't.



You are born homosexual. You're not born homophobic. You learn how to be homophobic (upbringing, peer pressure, media, etc.). Fortunately, for those who have the capacity for change, learned thinking and behavior can be unlearned. It requires some courage but it can be done.
User avatar
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3171
Joined: May 17th, 2007, 5:22 am

Re: Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Post by hellomynameis »

CaptainAwesome wrote:
Hellomynameis wrote:
CaptainAwesome wrote:And if somebody plz explain what exactly qualifies as homophobic. Beating gay people up? Throwing up uncontrollably when watching Lord of the Rings? Pointing at gay people in public and making fun of their hair? Cause if people just don't like certain gay people, that alone is not enough to be homophobic, is it?



I'd define it as someone who has a combination of distaste, bigotry and fear toward homosexuals in general.


So, if I'm flipping through channels and I see two guys kissing and I change the channel right away cause I really don't want to see it - that's homophobic?


that sounds like a mild distaste at worst, But if someone flipped the channel and saw the kissing and it produced a brain fart along the lines of "This is disgusting and I'm going to complain to the network about the filth that shouldn't be on tv" and/or made it into some excuse to espouse his home spun theory on how the 'agenda' has taken over our schools, media and government to the doom of all good folk. Then yeah I'd say the person has leanings toward homophobia.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Image
Ah soulra. No surprise you would suggest homophobia is solely a result of religion. I would bet my next paycheque you have absolutely no idea just how ridiculous such a claim would be.


Really? Is it not the religious in the west who try to pass discriminatory laws? Is it not the muslim east that executes homosexuals? Is all homophobia based in religion, no....but a good chunk of it is, to deny it is ridiculous.

Image
You seem to be completely unable to grasp concepts as simple as stereotype and overgeneralization and continue to use them to justify your prejudicial hatred. As a religiousphobe (new word) you are no different from a homophobe or any other bigot. What are you so afraid of ???


A wee bit excitable this morning eh? Maybe you need more fibre in you diet.
Last edited by Mr Danksworth on Apr 26th, 2009, 9:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
Phoenix Within
Guru
Posts: 9504
Joined: Jul 24th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Re: Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Post by Phoenix Within »

soulra wrote:Is all homophobia based in religion, no....but a good chunk of it is, to deny it is ridiculous.

As painful as it is to agree, I have to on this one. Much of my past prejudice to gays was based on religious teachings. Once I got out of mainstream religion and started to re-analise my beliefs, I realized that I had no more basis to believe what I did.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
User avatar
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 25083
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Post by fluffy »

soulra wrote:Is all homophobia based in religion, no....but a good chunk of it is, to deny it is ridiculous.


I don't know if it originates there, but they certainly play a huge part in spreading it.
Denial is based on one very specific desire – for something to not be true.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Phoenix Within wrote:[ re-analise

:coffeecanuck: I'm sorry but that is the most appropriate miss-spelling I have ever seen. Kudos!
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 24998
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2008, 5:06 pm

Re: Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Post by Captain Awesome »

Hellomynameis wrote:that sounds like a mild distaste at worst, But if someone flipped the channel and saw the kissing and it produced a brain fart along the lines of "This is disgusting and I'm going to complain to the network about the filth that shouldn't be on tv" and/or made it into some excuse to espouse his home spun theory on how the 'agenda' has taken over our schools, media and government to the doom of all good folk. Then yeah I'd say the person has leanings toward homophobia.


Meh. Not convincing. While it's normal to feel distaste or disgust, what people do with that - flip the channel or start complaining - is really up to how much time they have and their personality. We all know some people are just like to complain - they write to editors, commissions, etc. Some people couldn't care less. Doesn't really have anything to do with homophobia.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
User avatar
Born_again
Guru
Posts: 5352
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 2:21 am

Re: Homosexuals should carry warning tattoos, says chaplain

Post by Born_again »

Interesting.
If an image of a big fat hairy spider flashes on the TV screen, my wife is filled with revulsion. I always laugh at her and say that her fear is completely irrational.
Any correlation?
Image

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”