Science minister won't confirm belief in evolution

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Science minister won't confirm belief in evolution

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Politics, Science, and religion all in one big stinky ball.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... y/National
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Born_again
Guru

Re: Science minister won't confirm belief in evolution

Post by Born_again »

I remember a few months back that pastor Dave was imploring his flock to groom their flocklet's-in-programming into a career in 'leadership', so they can return Canada to its 'founding principles'. I guess he's feeling rather smug now that we have this cretin at the helm of the Ministry of Satan & Temptation.

Don't you just love the way that the Minister balks at using the word, 'SCIENCE'?
Gary Goodyear wrote: ... So I've been there on this discovery stuff."

"If we are going to be serious about saving lives and improving life around this planet, if we are serious about helping the environment, then we are going to have to get some of these technologies out of the labs onto the factory floors. Made. Produced. Sold. And that is going to fulfill that talk. So yes, we have to do all of it, we have to do discovery ... but it can't end there."

What was Harper thinking of? Get this buffoon out that portfolio and onto something more suitable to his mindset; like Minister of Silly Thoughts.
:purefury:
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Why is Canada's science minister a bloody creationist chiropractor??? Surely there has to be someone better suited to the position.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

FACE PALM!
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Having that man as science minister is the equivalent of putting the Bacon Brothers in charge of the justice ministry.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

"I'm not going to answer that question. I am a Christian, and I don't think anybody asking a question about my religion is appropriate," Gary Goodyear, the federal Minister of State for Science and Technology, said in an interview with The Globe and Mail.

SInce when does asking about evolution have anything to do with religion? This guy needs to be fired immediately and maybe they could hire, um, maybe someone who knows science? :ohmygod:
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

writerdave wrote:Having that man as science minister is the equivalent of putting the Bacon Brothers in charge of the justice ministry.

:dyinglaughing: ... funny thing is, the way the justice ministry works nowadays, you'd figure they were in charge!
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

zzontar wrote:
writerdave wrote:Having that man as science minister is the equivalent of putting the Bacon Brothers in charge of the justice ministry.

:dyinglaughing: ... funny thing is, the way the justice ministry works nowadays, you'd figure they were in charge!

I read the transcript of the exchange between the minister and reporter. Had I been the minister, I'd have responded by asking the reporter if (s)he was proud to practise 'gotcha journalism'. I didn't emerge from my reading any the wiser as to 1. What the minister believes; or 2. Did the minister's alleged beliefs prevent him from doing his job properly.

This is the kind of journalism that reveals an elitism that presumes people who think differently from it are not fit for political office.

We've seen this elitism before, in politicians, media, the educational establishment, to name just three areas of social thought, that presumes that anyone who thinks differently from itself does not reflect "Canadian values" or whatever values reflect its own views. It is the elitism of political correctness that attempts, often with great success, to delegitimize political beliefs and policies it does not approve of.

One reason the MSM (of which I was a part for many years on a major metropolitan daily) is in trouble today is its narrow conception of what should be permitted in public discourse. The internet is destroying the MSM because it gives voice to those who were denied a voice for so long. This exchange between the minister and reporter tells us the MSM still hasn't learned its lesson.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Since evolution is the cornerstone of several scientific disciplines, asking the minister if he believe in evolution was entirely proper and good on the reporter for doing so. If one wants to call that "gotcha journalism", so be it.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

jennylives wrote:
"I'm not going to answer that question. I am a Christian, and I don't think anybody asking a question about my religion is appropriate," Gary Goodyear, the federal Minister of State for Science and Technology, said in an interview with The Globe and Mail.

SInce when does asking about evolution have anything to do with religion? This guy needs to be fired immediately and maybe they could hire, um, maybe someone who knows science? [quote]

In the news today this scientist stated that of course he believed in evolution (being a scientist and all), and said he initially (appropriately) balked at the question because he felt what business do my personal spiritual beliefs have to do with politics. A Christian scientist (and there are many who believe in both God and modern science) who understands religion and spiritual beliefs are to be kept seperate from politics and government. I thought that was what you all wanted.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

He wasn't asked about his religion. He was asked about evolution and he flatly refused to answer on the grounds his religion has nothing to do with him being science minister.

I do want a separation of church and state and it was Mr. Minister who raised the religion flag when he was asked a science question.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

steven lloyd wrote:...and there are many who believe in both God and modern science

How is it possible for anybody to believe in both evolution and God creating everything and everybody?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

What WriterDave said.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

CaptainAwesome wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:...and there are many who believe in both God and modern science

How is it possible for anybody to believe in both evolution and God creating everything and everybody?

Fairly easily actually. But this one has been beat to death already, and if you really want to get into it again maybe you could start another thread. I'm not doing it tonight though. I get up early in the mornings. See ya.

:sleepdeprived:
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

CaptainAwesome wrote:How is it possible for anybody to believe in both evolution and God creating everything and everybody?

That's very easy.

God creates the heavens and the Earth.
God throws some amino acids in a puddle, then throws in a lightning bolt for good measure.
God sits back with a Coke, watching to see what will come of the primordial soup.
4.5 billion years later, God shakes his head.

Well, something like that.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”