Science minister won't confirm belief in evolution

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Re: Science minister won't confirm belief in evolution

Post by sooperphreek »

i think its very interesting that those leaning on the side of modern science (since the 4th century has no bearing in the modern age) throw the word fact around so freely. just because you use that word so much does not mean that it is indeed a fact. just because some scientific journal says that something in a thesis or hypotheis can be possible doesnt mean that its a fact. just because we can be aware of our surroundings and see the evidence of changes doesnt mean that we have to deem evolution as a fact. many of you took the bait that i created by opening the discussion of the strains of species that we have. if evolution is a fact then where is adam? (or eve for that matter?) we had lucy but then we found one older. who or what was the benchmark for the human species? if we cant find that very first sapien then perhaps that is because there wasnt one. we can find older and older ones over time but that doesnt mean that that specimen is the "one". so that would mean that you are keeping the "faith" that we will. so until such a time that there is irrefutable evidence i will give you the right to keep the faith. but i dont think that you ever will. there never will be enough irrefutable evidence to convince me. just like others may never be able to convince you of the possibility of creation. all that being said i think that our science minister is a non issue who is very well educated and very open minded based on what he seems to be trying to accomplish. and the rhetoric is not going to change anything about him having that portfolio.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Phreak, are you trying to sound like sarah palin?? She does word salad very well.
We're lost but we're making good time.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

ya....my favourite salad is "Chef The Fork Up" gordon ramsay loves it
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

jennylives wrote:Yes a hypothesis is an opinion. Hypothesis and theories are not considered facts. You need evidence to support your hypothesis before it is a fact. You seem to be applying religious traits to science and it just doesn't work that way. Maybe read up on the scientific method some more: http://www.scientificmethod.com/

That all matter is energy was a fact before there was scientific evidence to support it. Just because something can't be proven by science doesn't mean it's not a fact.
Breakthrough discoveries in science frequently happened without dogmatic adherence to the scientific method, but rather a certain level of chaos in the lab (penicillin) or random insight (tree+apple=gravity). The fact that I apply words in a context that you disagree with, doesn't change the veracity of the statements. Scientists are people, they are not immune to bias.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”