Letter to the Editor Easter show at the Parkinson Rec Center

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Re: Letter to the Editor Easter show at the Parkinson Rec Center

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Yay violence, let's celebrate. Let us wash in HIS blood. PARTAY! Celebrate good times, come on! Let Celebrate... :skyisfalling:
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Tone it down a bit, rick, and can the ALL CAPS. We can all have discussions on this forum without resorting to net-shouting.

From what people have said, this wasn't about walking past a manger scene on the way to participate in the advertised event. This was about being herded into an area and being forced to watch a play that was not part of the program.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Pssst. I don't think he gets it.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
RickKrull69

Post by RickKrull69 »

"We were there for an "Easter egg hunt" and then we were hearded into a room not knowing what was going on".
Wait a sec you didn't know what was going on. so for the sake of your children you now know that it is your responsibility to ASK. When will you people get it, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE. Regardless of whether the Church apologized or not. that does not take away from the fact, you put yourself and your children in that situation. You had every right to leave, you had every right to ASK questions. When did we stop asking questions. You are responsible for putting your children in the situations they face while with you, and you are responsible to ASK questions when you don't know. You can't take anything for what is is nowadays. ASK questions when your unsure, teach your kids to ask when they are unsure, and have the courage to stand up for your beliefs and children. You should have walked out at the very moment you or your children became uncomfortable. Stop looking to blame or seeking someone else to responsibilty for your actions. You drove/walked there, you went into the room, you chose not to seek out information even though it was avaialable, you chose to stay in your seats and forced your children to stay in theirs. You are responsible not them, not me, just you.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Are you thick? Seriously.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

RickKrull69 wrote:"We were there for an "Easter egg hunt" and then we were hearded into a room not knowing what was going on".
Wait a sec you didn't know what was going on. so for the sake of your children you now know that it is your responsibility to ASK. When will you people get it, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE. Regardless of whether the Church apologized or not. that does not take away from the fact, you put yourself and your children in that situation. You had every right to leave, you had every right to ASK questions. When did we stop asking questions. You are responsible for putting your children in the situations they face while with you, and you are responsible to ASK questions when you don't know. You can't take anything for what is is nowadays. ASK questions when your unsure, teach your kids to ask when they are unsure, and have the courage to stand up for your beliefs and children. You should have walked out at the very moment you or your children became uncomfortable. Stop looking to blame or seeking someone else to responsibilty for your actions. You drove/walked there, you went into the room, you chose not to seek out information even though it was avaialable, you chose to stay in your seats and forced your children to stay in theirs. You are responsible not them, not me, just you.

Actually, much like movie theatres have to, I think the church should have felt obligated to provide a warning about the violence about to be depicted in the play, especially as they chose to up the amount of violence by going with a Passion of the Christ motif.
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
EduKiddies

Post by EduKiddies »

Rick: Yes, we all know the Easter story and the supposed events... The point that I think YOU are missing is that it was unfair of them to blindside parents. Even though I'm sure you will argue this, I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate unknowingly being thrown into a situation and then forced to discuss a violent skit with your children. Had parents been more informed what was going on, it wouldn't have been as offensive. Had I known and possibly had a chance to think about how I could explain to my friends' 3 year old what he just saw, rather than them just shocking the audience, I may feel differently about it. Since we are talking about a church, which preaches about ethics, maybe they should have used ethics instead of being underhanded. Santa Claus and the Easter bunny etc. I would think are used to introduce young children to the holiday, as I believe the church considers this a celebration(?) I think introducing a 2 or 3 year old to the idea behind easter is unfair. They understand someone is being tortured, but don't understand WHY they did this and what good came out of it. Anyway, now that I have repeated the same thing 3 or 4 times....

You either get the point or you don't, and I think you do, you are just playing devil's advocate.
RickKrull69

Post by RickKrull69 »

That's what this is about to me Dave, peoples inability to seek out for themselves and then being upset when they didn't get what they wanted. I guessed the armed guards and the chains on the doors intimidated you. No one can stop you from asking questions or leaving uncomfortable situations, only yourself.
EduKiddies

Post by EduKiddies »

RickKrull69 wrote: you chose to stay in your seats and forced your children to stay in theirs. You are responsible not them, not me, just you.

I will give you credit here... It was an uncomfortable situation and in hind sight I definitely should have got up and walked out, however sat through it so as not to be rude towards the performers... Although that was a foolish decision on my part as they did not give the audience the same courteousy by being upfront about it. I thought this was a family event and although wasn't sure why we were in this room, naively (i suppose) sat down and expected to see a skit about the easter bunny or soemthing for the kids, as I thought the event was for the kids... And FYI we asked an attendant what the line up was for and were told that the pancake breakfast was "this way".
RickKrull69

Post by RickKrull69 »

Actually, much like movie theatres have to, I think the church should have felt obligated to provide a warning about the violence about to be depicted in the play, especially as they chose to up the amount of violence by going with a Passion of the Christ motif.[/quote

Still leaves it up to the parent to read the warning an make a descision. See how this goes.....
EduKiddies

Post by EduKiddies »

I might be off here, but I'm pretty sure that her point was to give the parents the information to read........ :ohmygod:
RickKrull69

Post by RickKrull69 »

I might be off here...but I think Giving parents back the reponsibilty of ASKING question would be better. raise your own kids don't let others raise them for you. If you don't think your kids should see, hear, or speak of SEX, DRUGs, VIOLENCE......then it's your responsibilty to ensure those elements are not present, not the sensors, Because the other parents might be ok with their kids seeing violence. If my kid can't watch violence beacuse YOU are afraid, then YOU are impedeing my rights as a canadian. That's only an example replace violence with whatever word you like. You know what is good for your children and what is not. It never hurts to walk away if you feel strong about something. Ask and Ye shall recieve.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Stop looking to blame or seeking someone else to responsibilty for your actions.
The responsibility lays with the organizers of a play that the public was unaware of.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Ric is just a mouthpiece for victory life, pay him no mind.
EduKiddies

Post by EduKiddies »

RickKrull69 wrote:I might be off here...but I think Giving parents back the reponsibilty of ASKING question would be better. raise your own kids don't let others raise them for you. If you don't think your kids should see, hear, or speak of SEX, DRUGs, VIOLENCE......then it's your responsibilty to ensure those elements are not present, not the sensors, Because the other parents might be ok with their kids seeing violence. If my kid can't watch violence beacuse YOU are afraid, then YOU are impedeing my rights as a canadian. That's only an example replace violence with whatever word you like. You know what is good for your children and what is not. It never hurts to walk away if you feel strong about something. Ask and Ye shall recieve.

So when my husband asked if the easter egg hunt was this way and she said yes (withholding the truth) it was our fault and we should have been suspicious that she was being dishonest.. Next time we won't ask a closed question then... I guess everyone should just go through life not trusting anyone as you are suggesting! And that's great about your rights as a Canadian, but the fact of the matter is that it is my right as both a parent and a Canadian to be provider all of the information ahead of time. I can't be educated on the situation if I can't find the facts. It was an violent and inappropriate display of easter, and it was inappropriate for younger children, plain and simple. And again, as stated before, yes we could have gotten up to leave, and being a young parent, that was a bad choice I made out of consideration for the performers.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”