Letter to the Editor Easter show at the Parkinson Rec Center

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re: Letter to the Editor Easter show at the Parkinson Rec Center

Post by eyepop »

RickKrull69r wrote:I might be off here...If you don't think your kids should see, hear, or speak of SEX, DRUGs, VIOLENCE......then it's your responsibilty to ensure those elements are not present..

.. stay clear of the bible then.
RickKrull69

Post by RickKrull69 »

In case you missed it, I am in no way religious. Insult me for believing that parents are responsible adults. Insult me because I have different beliefs than you. Insult me because I don't think easter egg hunts take place in a room with a stage. Insult me because at the moment I felt something was out of the ordinary I would have done something for those I'm responsible for if leaving was my only option than it would have been a good one. Insult me because my view of right and wrong my vary from yours, but don't use lies to insult others beliefs, that would make you no better than most organized religions.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

So sorry, your shouty caps lock rants and never wrong attitude marked you as one of the flock. I stand corrected.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
sidnie

Post by sidnie »

In today's article discussing the "apology" "Pastor Dieter Tripke says it was a bit of a knock off on “Passion of the Christ,” showing how Jesus was crucified and beaten before his resurrection. "

Ummm Passion of the Christ was a movie that carried the MPAA Rating of R for for sequences of graphic violence. (original). "R" means no one under 18 is allowed to see it ... why? well because of graphic violence. Nice attempt of an excuse you still showed young children something that is only appropriate for people 18 years and older. Get a grip.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

All they had to do was say there was going to be an Easter play, make it kid-friendly, and they might have even added to their congregation... instead through blatant stupidity and trickery, they turn people away from religion... did they think making it more like "The passion of the Christ" it would be more suitable for small kids? It's water under the bridge, but really, I hope they have a few more neurons sparking in their brains before they put on another event. This is why more and more people are becoming spiritual instead of religious.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
OK Adrenaline

Post by OK Adrenaline »

First I didn't see the show so I can't comment on it. But the article and appology.

"...we were presenting the Easter drama and this is what Easter is about. At the same time, we also presented the Easter Bunny and fun stuff. We are a church and we desire to show the crucifixion of our Lord.”

Simple Question. If a "Church" is trying to teach people about the work and purpose of Jesus Christ, what's up with the easter bunny thing and eggs? "Easter" comes from the name of an ancient pagan deity ishtar/ astarte- of fertility often associated with immorality and prostitution.... hmmmm. And whats with bunnies and eggs? Fertility? Seems I read plenty in the bible OT that people were punished by the bible God and Condemned by Jesus for such idol worshiping and paganism and immoral association. For centuries the churches as a whole have done so much harm (though surely well meaning) by mixing paganism with christianity. The protestants rejected most of these "paganized christianities" during the reformation but now have for the most part returned and embraced the very things that separated them from the corruption of the church. Many enjoy the easter egg traditions, most of us likes a bit of chocolate too, but if you are promoting your churches, supposedly bible based messages, surely it would be more effective to get down to the bare truth of the matter? In the "passion" play I expect they performed the section in the record where Pilate asks "What is Truth?". Jesus said he is the Way the TRUTH and the Life, and "the truth shall set you free" and "those that worship the Father must worship in Spirit and TRUTH. " People arn't "PAGAN" just because they enjoy certain traditions, But simple adding Pagan traditions to Christianity doesn't make the traditions Christian either. Read your Bible Churches and Teach Truth. None of the above is intended to offend, but if you really believe in God and Jesus, honour them by reading your bible and getting it right. And don't insult those who choose not to be Christian by trying to entice them with paganism dressed in Christianity just as the origional corrupt church began to do in the times of Constantine. The Whole TRUTH and nothing but the Truth.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

but don't use lies

A lie of omission is still a lie - apparently what the church did by not allowing the public to decide for themselves if they wished to see the play or not and not informing the public of the play to start with
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

zzontar wrote:This is why more and more people are becoming spiritual instead of religious.

Good.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Grumoly wrote: but if you really believe in God and Jesus, honour them by reading your bible and getting it right.

I couldn't agree more...
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

zzontar wrote:This is why more and more people are becoming spiritual instead of religious.

good.
lizhinton

Post by lizhinton »

Rick -

For the record, we knew it was a church sponsored event. We knew as soon as we walked in that we would likely see a Christian Easter presentation. We were fine with that. We have seen many Easter plays over the years. I've even been in some. Not one of them, intended for children, displayed graphic violence to near the extent of this play.

You bring up the nativity scene example, so I ask you this. Have you ever seen a nativity scene where a buck naked woman showed her vagina to the crowd? Well why not - that's what happened, isn't it? That's how women give birth isn't it? That's what would be appropriate wouldn't it? You would be stupid not to expect that wouldn't you, if you were looking at a Christian nativity scene, after all?

No, you don't expect to see Mary's naked vagina in a nativity scene, because we all (or most of us) adhere to certain social norms, especially when it comes to children. Good, bad or indifferent, we have a certain expectation that something prepared for children will be socially appropriate for them. This presentation was not. Even for those of us who have seen dozens of Easter plays over the years, and were fully expecting to see another one, this was horrifying.

I don't expect you to "get it," and I won't reply to you again, no matter what names you call me or slights you make to my parenting and/or intellect.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

lizhinton wrote:...so I ask you this. Have you ever seen a nativity scene where a buck naked woman showed her vagina to the crowd?...

i miss the Willow.

never a nativity scene, per se.....

..but i had been known to exclaim 'sweet mary mother of god' on occasion.
RickKrull69

Post by RickKrull69 »

Liz, never once did I call you names nor take "slights" at your parenting. I only expressed my opinions on parents in general and societiess inability to take responsibilty for the things we expose ourselves to. I'm sorry you chose to sit through their performance.

Leaving it up to other people to determine what is suitable is put the responsibilty in someone else hands. What if a group of people rated it even with a rating system only you can determine if it's suitable. A censoring panel might think 2 pints of blood is suitable. They might reason that a person could still live if they lost 2 pints. Someone else thinks any amount of blood is too much.
The point is you can't rely on other people to make that decision for you.

G - General Audiences
All ages admitted.
No nudity, no drugs, minimal violence, and limited use of language that goes beyond polite conversation.
PG - Parental Guidance Suggested
Some material may not be suitable for children.
May have mild violence and/or action, mild language and sexual references, brief nudity, intense images, sexual themes, crude humor or very mild drug references.
PG-13 - Parents Strongly Cautioned
Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.
May contain moderate language, minimal strong language, some explicit nudity, intense violence, gore, or mild drug content.
R - Restricted
Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.
May contain very strong language or strong sexual emphasis, strong explicit nudity, strong violence and gore, or strong drug content.
NC-17 - No One 17 and Under Admitted
May contain very strong sexual or offensive language, strong explicit nudity, very strong gore or disturbing violence, or graphic drug abuse.

Can you clarify how the bold words would mean definately suitable for YOUR children. Minimal violence may mean two different thing to you and your neighbour.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Rick, the church admitted that they were going for a Passion of the Christ motif, and that movie is rated R (I'm not saying that the play should be rated R, but they knew what sort of overtones they were going to add to the play this year, and should have provided a disclaimer!).
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
rhwoe

Post by rhwoe »

I wonder if these same people that were complaining about the Easter play allow their children to watch violence on TV.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”