Letter to the Editor Easter show at the Parkinson Rec Center

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Twister

Re: Letter to the Editor Easter show at the Parkinson Rec Center

Post by Twister »

I think people are forgetting about the bigger picture, other than a 5 minute play. I was there all day and didn’t see one unhappy person, child or adult. Everyone was eating free pancakes (Served by our Mayor, Sharon Shepherd... that doesn’t happen often), hundreds of children laughing with their families and hunting for eggs... just to mention a couple of the many events going on that day.

Sure, the play could have been tamed down a bit for the small children, but really? I went to a terrible waist of my time move called “The Watchmen”. My wife and I left the theatre 2/3’s the way through; it was extreme and just plain dumb in every sense. As I’m leaving the theatre, I look around to see children sitting through this “movie” with their parents? And everyone is complaining about this 5 minute play? Why don’t I see a huge form about that movie (only mentioning one bad movie of many)?

All in all, it was a great FAMILY fun day, which is seriously lacking in Kelowna. Not to mention FREE (Which is also seriously lacking in Kelowna). It was well organized, beautiful day... All put on by a small, local church trying to do something nice for their community (Which is also seriously lacking in Kelowna).

Sure, be critical and opinionated if you must... but shouldn’t you also be a little thankful?
EduKiddies

Post by EduKiddies »

Twister wrote:I think people are forgetting about the bigger picture, other than a 5 minute play. I was there all day and didn’t see one unhappy person, child or adult. Everyone was eating free pancakes (Served by our Mayor, Sharon Shepherd... that doesn’t happen often), hundreds of children laughing with their families and hunting for eggs... just to mention a couple of the many events going on that day.

Sure, the play could have been tamed down a bit for the small children, but really? I went to a terrible waist of my time move called “The Watchmen”. My wife and I left the theatre 2/3’s the way through; it was extreme and just plain dumb in every sense. As I’m leaving the theatre, I look around to see children sitting through this “movie” with their parents? And everyone is complaining about this 5 minute play? Why don’t I see a huge form about that movie (only mentioning one bad movie of many)?

All in all, it was a great FAMILY fun day, which is seriously lacking in Kelowna. Not to mention FREE (Which is also seriously lacking in Kelowna). It was well organized, beautiful day... All put on by a small, local church trying to do something nice for their community (Which is also seriously lacking in Kelowna).

Sure, be critical and opinionated if you must... but shouldn’t you also be a little thankful?

You are right, it was a great function that they put together, and parents are not upset about that. I happen to be one of the parents who attended and was greatful for the function that they put together for the families, the problem is the way they tricked people into watching the play. It was unfair of them not to inform parents of what is happening and as I posted in a previous post blindside them. I think people are upset based on the lack of principal and consideration given to parents and more so children. If parents are taking their children to the watchmen movie, they know what to expect walking into the movie. I might take my daughter to a watchmen movie when she is 7 or 8 and old enough to UNDERSTAND that type of entertainment, but my 2 year old doesn't understand the message they are getting across and I can't explain it to her. And, the circumstance would more likely be compared to the grand 10 saying hey we are going to put on a free family movie today and then playing Nightmare on Elmstreet before they put on air bud. The point is they shouldn't have been so deceptive about the situation. It doesn't help people to be understanding or respectful of their beliefs and certainly not their church. And while I understand they apologized, using a little common sense before hand would have been a more intelligent approach while still getting their message across. If the group of people who put this play together (and there were a few) can't use some common sense about what is acceptable and what isn't, then I would say they are a bit too caught up in their religion. (I won't use the word brainwashed because everyone is entitled to their own beliefs....)I am not upset about it anymore, just trying to help people understand why it was upsetting...
Twister

Post by Twister »

I understand your point for small children... After the public apology and this forms 16 page verbal spanking, I’m quite sure the same issue won’t happen again.

I really don’t think they sat in the back room planning ways to “deceive” or “trick “people into seeing their play. I also don’t believe that that it’s an issue of brainwashing, them trying to tell the Easter story... if so then billions of people have been deceived throughout history.

You had better hope that they are wrong and that they have been “brainwashed” because if you’re wrong...

:runforlife:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

As I’m leaving the theatre, I look around to see children sitting through this “movie” with their parents? And everyone is complaining about this 5 minute play?
You obviously didn't see children at the movie whose parents wouldn't take them.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

soulra wrote:
Fancy wrote:
Would I invite the neighborhood kids over to watch an r rated movie and use said donation as an excuse?
Would hope not -that would put yourself into a position to be in all kinds of trouble.

Just as this should. Exposing children to torture and violence is wrong, especially under the guise of 'education'. Why does religion get a free pass in this respect?

Here's the now deleted video clip soulra posted on another thread after misleading people to thinking the link was about atheistic primitive tribes, good thing the mods deleted it before too many people had to watch it:

A crowd of people in Africa standing on a road with a bonfire going. One poor guy is sitting next to the fire... a youth comes up from behind and kicks him right into the fire... he crawls out and as he's sitting there another guy comes up from behind and starts beating him with a huge stick as hard as he can while the poor guy is still on fire... not fighting back, just sitting there rocking back and forth and burning alive while being beaten. Then to the other side of the fire... a lady in a red dress who's getting beat over the head and back with a big stick by another youth, who then grabs her and drags her into the fire. This is clear, real footage, not some actors who take a bow at the end, not a movie about crucifixion, the real thing for both kids and adults to see.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black... exposing children and adults to that after deceiving them is ok according to soulra, as long as it's bashing religion.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

zzontar wrote: Talk about the pot calling the kettle black... exposing children and adults to that after deceiving them is ok according to soulra, as long as it's bashing religion.

You know, it doesn’t matter how many examples, analogies or logical sequences you present. It really seems he is simply incapable of making the connection. Bigotry isn’t bigotry as long as you pick the right group in which to engage in defamitory stereotypical thinking and overgeneralization. Soulra might even be able to recognize prejudice if we were talking about blacks or First Nations, and will even speak out against the prejudice directed at homosexuals (and rightly so IMO), but because we are talking about people who go to church stereotypical thinking and overgeneralization is suddenly the expected course to follow in cognition. Born Again makes the same critical error in reasoning and likes to pretend he’s even smarter. But you know a bigot is a bigot is a bigot. Being selective in your bigotry doesn’t make you less of one.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”