Religious belief and intellect.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
SpazmoTheMagnificent
Übergod

Religious belief and intellect.

Post by SpazmoTheMagnificent »

We know that the population of more developed countries, have higher intellect, in general, than less developed countries.
Does this fact ring true for different religions? Are followers of certain religions, by following the doctrine of said religion, less intelligent for doing so?

If yes, leads to my second question...

Are the religions that quell the growth of intellect within its followers, less peaceful in practice or more militant?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Religious belief and intellect.

Post by gardengirl »

Interesting post. I have often wondered the same thing. I can understand centuries ago when people didn't understand even the most basic science. I can also understand people who are uneducated or isolated looking for a magical answer to things they can't explain.

I see people who are apparently intelligent and logical, spewing all sorts of ridiculous religious stuff as though they witnessed it themselves. Water into wine, parting of the sea, healing of lepers...
things which, if they happened now, people would assume it was was a trick of some sort.

Why is it that because it was written in the Bible, they take it as the literal truth.
Very strange indeed.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

I once read the following;
In order to overcome the fear of death, christians;
give up some of their time,
give up some of their money
and most of their intellect.
We're lost but we're making good time.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

So, the next logical step after that would be non-Christians don't have the minimum required intellect to give up?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

FunkyBunch wrote:So, the next logical step after that would be non-Christians don't have the minimum required intellect to give up?

There is also a good dose of guilt and fear...
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

SpazmoTheMagnificent wrote:We know that the population of more developed countries, have higher intellect, in general, than less developed countries.
Does this fact ring true for different religions? Are followers of certain religions, by following the doctrine of said religion, less intelligent for doing so?

I think that intellectual prowess, on average, is more a function of a successful educational system than anything else, and it isn't a stretch of reason to assume that more developed countries would have better educational systems. I would also think, and this is right off the cuff as I haven't researched it at all, that religious beliefs are more widespread in under-developed countries as there is a degree of truth in the term "opiate of the masses" in that underprivileged people would be more inclined to seek comfort in religion as opposed to the voracious acquisition of consumer durables that we "more advanced" types do.

That being said, I don't think intelligence is a function of religion as much as certain religions are more at ease with the opportunity to manipulate the thoughts of those followers who are not burdened with an over-abundance of education.

SpazmoTheMagnificent wrote:Are the religions that quell the growth of intellect within its followers, less peaceful in practice or more militant?

I submit that religions that do exhibit militant traits are by far more likely to indulge in the enforcement of doctrine at the expense of freedom of thought. In these cases the those touting the"religion" itself would have questionable motivations, and are more than likely using said religion as a cover for a hidden agenda.
"The cleverest ruse of the Devil is to persuade you he does not exist."
- Charles Baudelaire, 1864
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oxymoron. Religion and Intellect. What are you thinking SpazmotheM? I know everyone else posted reasonably thought out replies but I must admit that in my experience the more religious the more anti-intellect.

And you are the one to describe us all as bags of chemicals and water to ultimately end up as dust in the ground cuz there is no God. Likely no Thor either. So what is the purpose of this thread, exactly?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Actually it's an interesting question. It sort of suggests that intellect and religion are mutually exclusive. I suppose I should clarify that I would use the term "spiritual beliefs" in place of religion because for me religion carries with it a lot of built in negatives. Are we talking about the thought that a belief in a higher power of some description somehow reveals a lack of intellect? Or that those of lower intellect are more apt to believe?

I think we might be talking apples and oranges here. While there may be statistical relationships between intellect and spiritual beliefs, I don't really see either can be considered a function of the other.
"The cleverest ruse of the Devil is to persuade you he does not exist."
- Charles Baudelaire, 1864
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

flüffy wrote:Actually it's an interesting question. It sort of suggests that intellect and religion are mutually exclusive. I suppose I should clarify that I would use the term "spiritual beliefs" in place of religion because for me religion carries with it a lot of built in negatives. Are we talking about the thought that a belief in a higher power of some description somehow reveals a lack of intellect? Or that those of lower intellect are more apt to believe?

I think we might be talking apples and oranges here. While there may be statistical relationships between intellect and spiritual beliefs, I don't really see either can be considered a function of the other.

Or should the question be more of Education as opposed to Intellect? Those are not the same thing.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

My experience with the religious crowd mostly involves the instant backbiting one gets when one is new in the group. The whole "Kelowna is unwelcoming" in living three-D colour. Did you all know I was a homewrecker after everyone's hubbies? Even though I had a boyfriend etc....and on and on it went. Til I left vowing to never return. If only the good die young then I'd rather laugh with the sinners....

I've noticed nothing the scientific community comes up with disproves God's existence, in fact opens up more questions than not. Do religious people really believe that dinosaur bones have been planted by Satan to confuse people?

I'm going out to plant seeds. Which came first, the seed or the plant?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Must....resist....urge to post intellect vs. religion studies...
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
SpazmoTheMagnificent
Übergod

Post by SpazmoTheMagnificent »

soulra wrote:Must....resist....urge to post intellect vs. religion studies...

Soulra, if you can do so with an unbiased tone...please do so.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

SpazmoTheMagnificent wrote:
soulra wrote:Must....resist....urge to post intellect vs. religion studies...

Soulra, if you can do so with an unbiased tone...please do so.

That's like asking Hitler to say something unbiased about Jewish people.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

CaptainAwesome wrote:
SpazmoTheMagnificent wrote:Soulra, if you can do so with an unbiased tone...please do so.

That's like asking Hitler to say something unbiased about Jewish people.

ZING!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
katzenjammer
Board Meister

Post by katzenjammer »

I am bad. I cannot resist. I must be nice--I should be nice--- oh what the hec----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I5V9JPzMxY
:sillygrin:
Happiness never decreases by being shared. ...

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”