Religious belief and intellect.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Re: Religious belief and intellect.

Post by Homeownertoo »

steven lloyd wrote:... Unlike yourself, I have little fear that we in Canada, or even the United States, will ever run the risk of repeating the evolutionary path that led to the formation of Nazi Germany (maybe we should move this discussion to the conspiracy thread – wait a sec, I’ll get my tinfoil hat).

Anyways, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and in fact, even entitled to believe you have sole and exclusive understanding of complex social issues. However, I am not so as smitten as yourself by your self-perceived brilliance

Hey, you almost made it through without resorting to distortion and personal attack. Take up horseshoes and you'd be a winner.

Your putdown: "Maybe we should move this discussion to the conspiracy thread – wait a sec, I’ll get my tinfoil hat," is ignoble, for as you well know, Germany, far from being an isolated example, was only one of four major Western countries that that were mentioned in the same category (and the UK, the world's pre-eminent surveillance society, seems to be slipping that way). Was it just too tempting to ignore the substance by hauling out the dismissive "Here we go again with the nazi reference" routine?

And there was no call at all for your demeaning final paragraph; seems you just can't resist it, though, a less-than-admirable habit you might want to give some critical attention to.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Homeownertoo wrote: Hey, you almost made it through without resorting to distortion and personal attack. Take up horseshoes and you'd be a winner. And there was no call at all for your demeaning final paragraph; seems you just can't resist it, though, a less-than-admirable habit you might want to give some critical attention to.

:coffeecanuck: uh yeah, I'll do that :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:
chrisv
Fledgling

Post by chrisv »

Im pretty sure we'll find out the answer to the origional poster's question one day.....
katzenjammer
Board Meister

Post by katzenjammer »

Glacier wrote:
katts wrote:I am bad. I cannot resist. I must be nice--I should be nice--- oh what the hec----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I5V9JPzMxY
:sillygrin:

Since women tend to be more religious than men, are you saying women are less intelligent?

I might not be the brightest bulb in the pack but I am certainly not that stupid. :spinball:
Happiness never decreases by being shared. ...
fundyfisherman

Post by fundyfisherman »

Amoes the Prophet fortold in the last day a famine , not of bread or water but a famine of truth he claimed men would go from the east to the west and the north to the south seeking truth but would not find in .

Daniel fortold a Sign of the last generation to be the Scattering of the Power of the Holy people or the true church would get scattered .

Christ fortold many false prophets would rise and decieve many . even to go so far as to state as it was in the days of Noah so shall it be in the days of the coming of the son of man . Noah preached a 100 years the truth and never had a convert .

The chances of the big churches being the true church is 0 . Big churches are just easy to find and don't take much effort with study .

Remember Guidians army and how it was picked , at the watering who they was watched . who ever put their faces in to drink was no good . but those that just lapped a little with their hands and looked around was good . The enemy like to get you at the watering whole (church) . those that just set their and take it all in without looking around are not fit .

So just how would you find the real church ? the patience of the saints is here are they that keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus . Is that really out there?

No Lie comes from the truth !

Jesus said he was the same yesterday , today and forever .

Stick to these rules see what you come up with for a church , Is there one out there ?

No lie ?? OK lets try it . Is Christmas a lie ? or is it Christ birthday? Be honest!

Woops 98% of christianity gone just like that ! thats if you keep your bible open , it gets easy .
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

In my experience an open bible means a closed mind. The bible is a gathering of writings, translated (sometimes incorrectly) by those wanting to control the masses. While there are many good words and ideas in the bible, there are the same in many other writings not contained therein.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
fundyfisherman

Post by fundyfisherman »

in my opinion most bible carrying people do not really read their bibles to get the facts .

for exsample which bible carrying person do you know that really believes the last few verses of collosians 2 ?

Touch not , Taste Not , Handle not .Which all are to parish with the useing their after the commandments and doctrines of men! Who out there in christianity believes these verses ?

Commandments and doctrines of men can kill you? But the bible says so ! Where are they learning most their religion ? I do not see most of the so called christian traditions in the bible . Christmas is not there . Easter is not there . Sunday keeping is not there ! would these not all be commandments and doctrines of men? Is collossians 2 really Inspired?

Very few follow their scriptures , Almost all are following some man . They can not learn most of their so called christian things in a bible .
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Piecemaker wrote:In my experience an open bible means a closed mind. The bible is a gathering of writings, translated (sometimes incorrectly) by those wanting to control the masses. While there are many good words and ideas in the bible, there are the same in many other writings not contained therein.

... and you called an open Bible a closed mind!
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Home, what is it about Piecemaker's paragraph that indicates a closed mind?

"In my experience an open bible means a closed mind."
In piece's "experience" - cant argue there.

"open bible means a closed mind". since it's her experience it is subjective, also it is an opinion and could change based on circumstances - cant argue there

"The bible is a gathering of writings, translated (sometimes incorrectly) by those wanting to control the masses." thats part fact, and part opinion. You may disagree with the opinion but nothing set out there-in indicates a closed mind.

"While there are many good words and ideas in the bible, there are the same in many other writings not contained therein." This is fact, and indicates a mind open to many books.

If however you take the position that no other book contains good words and ideas, feel free to ignore this post.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

nibs wrote:Home, what is it about Piecemaker's paragraph that indicates a closed mind?

"In my experience an open bible means a closed mind."
In piece's "experience" - cant argue there.

"open bible means a closed mind". since it's her experience it is subjective, also it is an opinion and could change based on circumstances - cant argue there

"The bible is a gathering of writings, translated (sometimes incorrectly) by those wanting to control the masses." thats part fact, and part opinion. You may disagree with the opinion but nothing set out there-in indicates a closed mind.

"While there are many good words and ideas in the bible, there are the same in many other writings not contained therein." This is fact, and indicates a mind open to many books.

If however you take the position that no other book contains good words and ideas, feel free to ignore this post.

It is obviously not a measured self-assessment of Piece's experience but a rhetorical statement that can only be made by a close-minded person, the irony of which appears to have been lost not only on her. I thought this was self-evident, but apparently not. So I'll spell it out for you. What she is saying is that everyone, at least everyone living today, who sees some value in the Bible is close-minded. This would include all theologians, all church-goers, many academics who study the Bible, a good many politicians including Barak Obama, etc., etc. You seem to agree, with no supporting argument.

Your last statement is beyond contempt. But if you feel the need to make ridiculous assertions with no supporting argument, go right ahead.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Piecemaker is historically one of the most 'measured' responders in these forums, Homeownertoo. You'd have a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go to be even thought of in that respect, seriously!
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Homeownertoo wrote:
It is obviously not a measured self-assessment of Piece's experience but a rhetorical statement that can only be made by a close-minded person, the irony of which appears to have been lost not only on her. I thought this was self-evident, but apparently not. So I'll spell it out for you. What she is saying is that everyone, at least everyone living today, who sees some value in the Bible is close-minded. This would include all theologians, all church-goers, many academics who study the Bible, a good many politicians including Barak Obama, etc., etc. You seem to agree, with no supporting argument.

Your last statement is beyond contempt. But if you feel the need to make ridiculous assertions with no supporting argument, go right ahead.

http://www.dailymotion.com/user/totocac ... dness_tech
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

My thanks to those who can make more sense out of what I write, than I can!
:124:

I was making a metaphorical comment. (Or, hyperbole, if you prefer.)
I was writing from my experience. (Was thumped on the head with an "open" bible!)
I did acknowledge the bible contains some good teachings, so I'm not sure how that makes me closeminded. BTW, many of those teachings are found in other writings as well.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

Piecemaker your post, like many before it, can be sumarized as: "God and the Bible?...toss 'em, they're just for simple minded dolts." Its a popular, not very new perspective.

Born_again wrote:Piecemaker is historically one of the most 'measured' responders in these forums, Homeownertoo. You'd have a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go to be even thought of in that respect, seriously!

That would depend entirely on who is doing the thinking in that respect. I suspect Homeowner has had to exercise a certain measure of restraint while partaking of this light castanet forum diversion. :spinball:

Funny how those most active in starting these "religion" posts are the ones who seem to be the most obsessed with the topic - the atheists. Vat doo yoo make of dis Sigmund??
Reminds me of that co-worker who just couldn't seem to make it one whole day without making an out of the blue derogatory mention of... "Those Jews". :127:

carry on ... oh ye enlightened open minds
"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

There really is not much to debate here, unclemarty. The video link that soulra kindly shared with us sums it up -- with little wiggle room or shades of grey.
If the cap fits.....wear it! If you can't bring yourself to watch and accept it; then there's a bespoke cap just for you.

unclemarty wrote:Funny how those most active in starting these "religion" posts are the ones who seem to be the most obsessed with the topic - the atheists.

You just couldn't resist, could you?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”