Alberta makes stupidity law

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Re: Alberta makes stupidity law

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Putz wrote:
soulra wrote:Alright, now what does this have to do with the discussion at hand?

You stated that classes were unbiased in your experience. I just commented on your thought. iIf you had found that classes were indeed biased, and contrary to all you held dear, wouldn't you want the right to keep your children out of those classes? Of course not.

You are right, I would not send my children to a fundamentalist christian school.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Putz

Post by Putz »

soulra wrote:
Putz wrote:
soulra wrote:Alright, now what does this have to do with the discussion at hand?

You stated that classes were unbiased in your experience. I just commented on your thought. If you had found that classes were indeed biased, and contrary to all you held dear, wouldn't you want the right to keep your children out of those classes? Of course.

You are right, I would not send my children to a fundamentalist christian school.

I respect that. :)
The career chemophobes are universally afflicted with a peculiar myopia that allows them to hallucinate molehills of bad consequences of the use of chemicals while totally ignoring the mountains of benefits from their use. (From JunkScience.Com )
chrisv
Fledgling

Post by chrisv »

Again for those that can not read.....I tolerate homosexuals, but do not agree with the lifestyle. This doesnt mean I am going around with a bat looking for a gay person to beat up, I respect them as I do any person, I simply do not agree with the lifestyle they live. If this make me intolerant, than using your argument, you also are intolerant, since you do not share my christian beliefs. How can you not see this?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

chrisv wrote:Again for those that can not read.....I tolerate homosexuals, but do not agree with the lifestyle.

Do you also tolerate blond people with blue eyes? How about short people or tall people? How about people with freckles? Do you tolerate them as well and simply disagree with the lifestyle?
Putz

Post by Putz »

steven lloyd wrote:
chrisv wrote:Again for those that can not read.....I tolerate homosexuals, but do not agree with the lifestyle.

Do you also tolerate blond people with blue eyes? How about short people or tall people? How about people with freckles? Do you tolerate them as well and simply disagree with the lifestyle?

Do you tolerate Muslims?
The career chemophobes are universally afflicted with a peculiar myopia that allows them to hallucinate molehills of bad consequences of the use of chemicals while totally ignoring the mountains of benefits from their use. (From JunkScience.Com )
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Putz wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

Do you tolerate Muslims?

:137: Are you as confused about this issue as chris is?
Putz

Post by Putz »

steven lloyd wrote:
Putz wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

Do you tolerate Muslims?

:137: Are you as confused about this issue as chris is?

I must be, if you say I am. I haven't seen you as wrong yet. However, just so as to humour me, could you answer the question?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Putz wrote:
steven lloyd wrote: :137: Are you as confused about this issue as chris is?

I must be, if you say I am. I haven't seen you as wrong yet. However, just so as to humour me, could you answer the question?

Don’t worry. If you stick around and pay attention you’ll probably see me be wrong many times. However, just to humour you here I will answer your question.

Yes, I do tolerate Muslims. Aside from the ignorant and intolerant extremists I have no reason not to. In fact, I know a few Muslim people who I have found to be quite pleasant folk. Tolerant, kind and gracious.

I also tolerate Christians. Aside from the ignorant and intolerant extremists I have no reason not to. In fact, I know a few Christian people who I have also found to be quite pleasant folk. Tolerant, kind and gracious.

However, I do not confuse a choice of religion with a genetic predisposition (no choice) for sexual preference. That would just be ignorant (and that ignorance in this case would be a choice).
Last edited by steven lloyd on May 8th, 2009, 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Can one not tolerate something without agreeing with it? Or for that matter even supporting it in any way?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Nabcom wrote:Can one not tolerate something without agreeing with it?

Nab

Yes... unless it is homosexuality.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
chrisv
Fledgling

Post by chrisv »

Arm wrestle....a good old fashioned arm wrestle, thats how we'll settle this argument
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Putz wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

Do you tolerate Muslims?

Toleration is as good as it gets in society because that is what makes civil society possible. It is those who think that's not enough and demand agreement with and support for essentially political ideas who, in the end, destroy any possibility of a civil society due to their -- irony of ironies -- intolerance of the Other.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Homeownertoo wrote: Toleration is as good as it gets in society because that is what makes civil society possible. It is those who think that's not enough and demand agreement with and support for essentially political ideas who, in the end, destroy any possibility of a civil society due to their -- irony of ironies -- intolerance of the Other.

That could be a good point, but in case you don’t ever watch the news or read any newspapers, toleration is often not as good as it gets for homosexuals (or other identifiable minorities) in our society. Trying to suggest that homosexuals are being intolerant of main stream society is at best a deflection subtly suggesting that you perhaps have some difficulty accepting people who are different then yourself. That would not surprise me as any ideas that conflict with your (obviously long established) views of the world are fodder for immediate scorn and dismissal. I know you are getting on in your years and are not long (in relative terms) for this world. Know that in spite of your rigid ideas humankind will most likely evolve. Either that or this world will not be a place you would have hoped for your grandchildren to be living. Of course, if that is the case by then it will be too late for you to alter your contribution.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

steven lloyd wrote:
Homeownertoo wrote: Toleration is as good as it gets in society because that is what makes civil society possible. It is those who think that's not enough and demand agreement with and support for essentially political ideas who, in the end, destroy any possibility of a civil society due to their -- irony of ironies -- intolerance of the Other.

That could be a good point, but in case you don’t ever watch the news or read any newspapers, toleration is often not as good as it gets for homosexuals (or other identifiable minorities) in our society. Trying to suggest that homosexuals are being intolerant of main stream society is at best a deflection subtly suggesting that you perhaps have some difficulty accepting people who are different then yourself. That would not surprise me as any ideas that conflict with your (obviously long established) views of the world are fodder for immediate scorn and dismissal. I know you are getting on in your years and are not long (in relative terms) for this world. Know that in spite of your rigid ideas humankind will most likely evolve. Either that or this world will not be a place you would have hoped for your grandchildren to be living. Of course, if that is the case by then it will be too late for you to alter your contribution.

You clearly have no idea what I was talking about in the above quote, or, for that matter, any comprehension of who are what I am, as your distortion of my words here and elsewhere amply testify.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

steven lloyd wrote:

BTW, I'm getting a little tired of your amateur-hour psychologizing, which is really just a thinly disguised form of personal attack that you apparently think absolves you from dealing with the content of what people say. That's not what these forums are for, and it is postings such as this for which I reserve my well-earned scorn.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”