We are all atheists

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10469
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: We are all atheists

Post by I Think »

You may be defining atheist in a way that differs from the dictionary.

In order to classify someone as an X or as a Y, you need to define what an X is in reference to, and for the purposes of your argument.

Eg., for the purposes of this discussion I will define a "highway" as a road having 2 or more lanes in each direction etc.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: We are all atheists

Post by Mr Danksworth »

oldhippy wrote: Is there any such thing as an Atheist?

Yes there is, I am one of them. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 842
Joined: Mar 4th, 2008, 6:59 am

Re: We are all atheists

Post by JonyDarko »

I am also an Atheist. I do not believe in gods, or any other thing that is super natural.

As for the definition of Atheist. It just refers to someone who does not believe in a god or gods. The "We are all atheists" statement is probably referring to monotheistic religions, Its like saying "your one god away from being an atheist".
oldhippy
Board Meister
Posts: 469
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:31 am

Re: We are all atheists

Post by oldhippy »

Just because I have not experienced something does not mean that someone else has not.

Just because I have not seen it does not mean that it does not exist.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10469
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: We are all atheists

Post by I Think »

So Hippy, do you think there is a god with a beard, who knows and cares about every least thing about you and all the other people and worms, as well as each grain of sand, and each star in the universe?
If you do, better pass the doobie so we can all get that stoned.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: We are all atheists

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4284
Joined: Apr 12th, 2008, 7:54 am

Re: We are all atheists

Post by Mr. Personality »

nibs wrote:So Hippy, do you think there is a god with a beard, who knows and cares about every least thing about you and all the other people and worms, as well as each grain of sand, and each star in the universe?
If you do, better pass the doobie so we can all get that stoned.

Why does he have to have a beard? Because some drawings say so?

Not everyone who believes in God believes in an angry old man in the sky.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: We are all atheists

Post by Mr Danksworth »

So you don't believe in the bearded one. That makes one god you don't believe in.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: We are all atheists

Post by steven lloyd »

soulra wrote:So you don't believe in the bearded one. That makes one god you don't believe in.


And makes it clear how challenging and complex some ideas might seem for you.

Pah. It's just fear.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10469
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: We are all atheists

Post by I Think »

Steven, you're right, it is just fear of dying that makes people suspend clear thinking and become Christians.
I have already decided to track Soulra down in the afterlife and make his afterlife hell.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: We are all atheists

Post by Mr Danksworth »

steven lloyd wrote:
soulra wrote:So you don't believe in the bearded one. That makes one god you don't believe in.


And makes it clear how challenging and complex some ideas might seem for you.

Pah. It's just fear.


Stevie! Where have you been? It's been a while since you've thrown the fear card around. But we have done this one before haven't we? I have nothing to fear from your imaginary friend(s). Got it? Good.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 842
Joined: Mar 4th, 2008, 6:59 am

Re: We are all atheists

Post by JonyDarko »

So non believers are afraid of something?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10469
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: We are all atheists

Post by I Think »

I am sure that non believers are afraid of something, but the original idea started by Steven, is that Christians are Christians because they are afraid of dying.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: We are all atheists

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Then superstitions are created to mitigate that fear. Nothing like the promise of eternal life to keep the fear of death at bay.
Image
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4284
Joined: Apr 12th, 2008, 7:54 am

Re: We are all atheists

Post by Mr. Personality »

soulra wrote:So you don't believe in the bearded one. That makes one god you don't believe in.

Butat doesn't make me an atheist.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”