If there is a god

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4284
Joined: Apr 12th, 2008, 7:54 am

Re: If there is a god

Post by Mr. Personality »

chickenlittle wrote:
oldhippy wrote:If a person has a belief even in their own self only and they walk a good trail and physically hurt no one and they do not call any one down: they they are walking a good trail in life.


And they still fall short of the Glory of God.

Only according to those who claim to speak for God.

Anyone who claims to speak for God is a liar.
User avatar
chickenlittle
Fledgling
Posts: 195
Joined: Sep 22nd, 2008, 1:25 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by chickenlittle »

Mr. Personality wrote:
chickenlittle wrote:
oldhippy wrote:If a person has a belief even in their own self only and they walk a good trail and physically hurt no one and they do not call any one down: they they are walking a good trail in life.


And they still fall short of the Glory of God.

Only according to those who claim to speak for God.

Anyone who claims to speak for God is a liar.


Kind of interesting logic there... it would work both ways. If you say that people that live the life described above don't fall short of the Glory of God doesn't that mean that you are claiming to speak for God? By your logic wouldn't that also make you a liar?
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4284
Joined: Apr 12th, 2008, 7:54 am

Re: If there is a god

Post by Mr. Personality »

I don't claim that there is some glory to God that needs to be met. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. The search for some such "glory" has muddied the eyes of anyone honestly trying to live a good life and lined the pockets of those in control of religion. I do not claim to speak for God, nor do I know what God wants from us should he in fact exist. What I do know is we're all here together and we can't do anything about that, so we should try to get along.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
Posts: 67777
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am

Re: If there is a god

Post by Queen K »

Mr. Personality wrote:I don't claim that there is some glory to God that needs to be met. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. The search for some such "glory" has muddied the eyes of anyone honestly trying to live a good life and lined the pockets of those in control of religion. I do not claim to speak for God, nor do I know what God wants from us should he in fact exist. What I do know is we're all here together and we can't do anything about that, so we should try to get along.



Would Chuck Norris be included in that? :dyinglaughing:
Spend some time and money on establishing an Estate plan, a Legal Will, your wishes and who is the Executor. Watch Grant of Probate videos. Understand the process to help yourself and loved ones.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4284
Joined: Apr 12th, 2008, 7:54 am

Re: If there is a god

Post by Mr. Personality »

No.
chuck norris is not human and should leave.
User avatar
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2634
Joined: Oct 14th, 2008, 10:20 am

Re: If there is a god

Post by Corneliousrooster »

If there is a god - could someone arrange a sit down??? I have some constructive criticism on his "creations" and some advice for the next time he feels like "filling his void" with hommage paying critters fueled by an interpreted history/instruction manual of vague innuendo.

i don't think the results of his hard work has been the payoff he might have been looking for.....

"A" for effort
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
Posts: 67777
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am

Re: If there is a god

Post by Queen K »

Corneliousrooster wrote:If there is a god - could someone arrange a sit down??? I have some constructive criticism on his "creations" and some advice for the next time he feels like "filling his void" with hommage paying critters fueled by an interpreted history/instruction manual of vague innuendo.

i don't think the results of his hard work has been the payoff he might have been looking for.....

"A" for effort


Are you planning to ask what all the "smiting" was all about? Or why there are so many pesky Dino bones proving the plant is wayyy older than previously thought? And just where is, or what happened to Atlantis anyways?
Spend some time and money on establishing an Estate plan, a Legal Will, your wishes and who is the Executor. Watch Grant of Probate videos. Understand the process to help yourself and loved ones.
User avatar
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2634
Joined: Oct 14th, 2008, 10:20 am

Re: If there is a god

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Queen K wrote:
Corneliousrooster wrote:If there is a god - could someone arrange a sit down??? I have some constructive criticism on his "creations" and some advice for the next time he feels like "filling his void" with hommage paying critters fueled by an interpreted history/instruction manual of vague innuendo.

i don't think the results of his hard work has been the payoff he might have been looking for.....

"A" for effort


Are you planning to ask what all the "smiting" was all about? Or why there are so many pesky Dino bones proving the plant is wayyy older than previously thought? And just where is, or what happened to Atlantis anyways?


I don't need to look beyond my own lifespan to realize that the portrayal of God by God's followers is a slight exageration of the pure goodness and power of said God that is continually professed. All man has done is created in our imaginations a mechanism to host the biggest "soap opera" of all time.

Now, if you need to attach your God or God's to the triviality of existence -to create some sort of self importance and purpose to your "being" , a reasoning behind your choices, a compass for your own morality - all the power to you (just don't be surprised when the majority of the worlds population isn't buying it - every religion when positioned against the population of the world will be a whopping minority, hmm...........does that mean that all of them contain inferior logic that can not be consumed by the majority??? )

Dinosaurs? Yeah those fossilized bones that ANYONE ON THE PLANET can touch and witness TODAY - so mythical....... Stories translated and interpreted by man and passed on for centuries, now thats worth basing your WHOLE EXISTENCE on................
User avatar
chickenlittle
Fledgling
Posts: 195
Joined: Sep 22nd, 2008, 1:25 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by chickenlittle »

Mr. Personality wrote:I don't claim that there is some glory to God that needs to be met..
Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. The search for some such "glory" has muddied the eyes of anyone honestly trying to live a good life and lined the pockets of those in control of religion. .


I would argue the search for such "glory" has openned the eyes of many. I don't think the manipulation of others by individuals and organizations for their own benefit has anything to do with God or his Glory. Much wrong has been done in His Name.

Mr. Personality wrote:I do not claim to speak for God, nor do I know what God wants from us should he in fact exist. What I do know is we're all here together and we can't do anything about that, so we should try to get along.


I don't claim to speak for Him either. I don't doubt His existance (used to but not anymore). I do know that Jesus gave us some pretty clear instruction on what God wants.
1. Love God.
2. Love your neighbor (i think that is sort of like us all trying to get along).

Cheers,
User avatar
chickenlittle
Fledgling
Posts: 195
Joined: Sep 22nd, 2008, 1:25 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by chickenlittle »

Corneliousrooster wrote:(just don't be surprised when the majority of the worlds population isn't buying it - every religion when positioned against the population of the world will be a whopping minority, hmm...........does that mean that all of them contain inferior logic that can not be consumed by the majority??? )


So the majority accepting something makes it true? I also think you might be a bit shocked if you actually looked at the statistics.

Corneliousrooster wrote:Dinosaurs? Yeah those fossilized bones that ANYONE ON THE PLANET can touch and witness TODAY - so mythical....... Stories translated and interpreted by man and passed on for centuries, now thats worth basing your WHOLE EXISTENCE on................


So you have faith in fossils?

I am an evolutionist... and still put my faith in God.

Anyone can also experience God if they are willing to.
User avatar
Phoenix Within
Guru
Posts: 9504
Joined: Jul 24th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by Phoenix Within »

chickenlittle wrote:Anyone can also experience God if they are willing to.

And you can do it without feeling unworthy.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
User avatar
unclemarty
Board Meister
Posts: 668
Joined: Jul 23rd, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by unclemarty »

Phoenix Within wrote:
chickenlittle wrote:Anyone can also experience God if they are willing to.

And you can do it without feeling unworthy.


Go ahead and give it a shot, feeling entitled and all.
You may experience something alright. Consider that your god if you want.

The God of Abraham who offered redemtion to all mankind, with amazing grace, through the sacrifice of His messiah for us, responds favorably only to genuine humility and repentance.
Not because we are worthy or entitled to seek his presence, but only because HE has made a way where there was no way.

But all that just goes against the grain doesn't it. Yes it does ... oh yes, so very very yes.
"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: If there is a god

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Image
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
westsidebud
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3808
Joined: Jul 18th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by westsidebud »

unclemarty wrote:
Phoenix Within wrote:
chickenlittle wrote:Anyone can also experience God if they are willing to.

And you can do it without feeling unworthy.


Go ahead and give it a shot, feeling entitled and all.
You may experience something alright. Consider that your god if you want.

The God of Abraham who offered redemtion to all mankind, with amazing grace, through the sacrifice of His messiah for us, responds favorably only to genuine humility and repentance.
Not because we are worthy or entitled to seek his presence, but only because HE has made a way where there was no way.

But all that just goes against the grain doesn't it. Yes it does ... oh yes, so very very yes.



bible was a story book written by humans.and its not that old compared to greek mythology or egyption mythology.you see the funny thing is the bible is not realy that good of a read,try silence of the lambs,now theres a good story
GO CANUCKS GO
User avatar
chickenlittle
Fledgling
Posts: 195
Joined: Sep 22nd, 2008, 1:25 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by chickenlittle »

westsidebud wrote:bible was a story book written by humans.and its not that old compared to greek mythology or egyption mythology.you see the funny thing is the bible is not realy that good of a read,try silence of the lambs,now theres a good story


Really? I challenge you to find me another piece of ancient litature written in the same style. The gospels are unique in their age as literature as nothing else from the same era is written in the same (almost journalistic) style. Yes it is a book written by humans... about how they experienced God.

The funny thing about people who claim that the Bible is not a very good read is that they usually haven't taken the time to actually read it.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”