If there is a god

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
chickenlittle
Fledgling
Posts: 195
Joined: Sep 22nd, 2008, 1:25 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by chickenlittle »

unclemarty wrote:

Go ahead and give it a shot, feeling entitled and all.
You may experience something alright. Consider that your god if you want.

The God of Abraham who offered redemtion to all mankind, with amazing grace, through the sacrifice of His messiah for us, responds favorably only to genuine humility and repentance.
Not because we are worthy or entitled to seek his presence, but only because HE has made a way where there was no way.

But all that just goes against the grain doesn't it. Yes it does ... oh yes, so very very yes.


Amen

Couldn't have said it better.
RR24K
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3832
Joined: Sep 20th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by RR24K »

unclemarty wrote:Go ahead and give it a shot, feeling entitled and all.
You may experience something alright. Consider that your god if you want.

The God of Abraham who offered redemtion to all mankind, with amazing grace, through the sacrifice of His messiah for us, responds favorably only to genuine humility and repentance.
Not because we are worthy or entitled to seek his presence, but only because HE has made a way where there was no way.

But all that just goes against the grain doesn't it. Yes it does ... oh yes, so very very yes.



:whisperer: :loonytunes: :dyinglaughing:
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10469
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by I Think »

unclemarty wrote:The God of Abraham


WHAT?? isn't your god supposed to be the god?
If abraham can have a god, why not the Romans, Greeks, or cowdy custard.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: If there is a god

Post by Mr Danksworth »

chickenlittle wrote:
Really? I challenge you to find me another piece of ancient litature written in the same style.


That would be styles. There were many authors used in the compilation of the bible. Which ones are you talking about? Not that they were even present for the events depicted. But that's a whole other story. By the way which bible are you talking about? There are quite a few of them too.

chickenlittle wrote:The gospels are unique in their age as literature as nothing else from the same era is written in the same (almost journalistic) style.


Not very good journalism if the 'witnesses/authors' can't even agree on what happened among themselves.

chickenlittle wrote:The funny thing about people who claim that the Bible is not a very good read is that they usually haven't taken the time to actually read it.


I've read it front to back multiple times. Reading it actually lead me to identify as an atheist.
It's a book of myths. Stories that have little or no basis in reality, the exodus never happened, the flood never happened and Mary wasn't raped by god to birth himself. I could go on but you get the picture.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10469
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by I Think »

MD - you must be a slow learner <G>, it took me two years of bible study (1/2 hr once a week) in high school to decide, I was 13 and realized there was no evidence to support the wacky theories being presented.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
westsidebud
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3808
Joined: Jul 18th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by westsidebud »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
chickenlittle wrote:
Really? I challenge you to find me another piece of ancient litature written in the same style.


That would be styles. There were many authors used in the compilation of the bible. Which ones are you talking about? Not that they were even present for the events depicted. But that's a whole other story. By the way which bible are you talking about? There are quite a few of them too.

chickenlittle wrote:The gospels are unique in their age as literature as nothing else from the same era is written in the same (almost journalistic) style.


Not very good journalism if the 'witnesses/authors' can't even agree on what happened among themselves.

chickenlittle wrote:The funny thing about people who claim that the Bible is not a very good read is that they usually haven't taken the time to actually read it.


I've read it front to back multiple times. Reading it actually lead me to identify as an atheist.
It's a book of myths. Stories that have little or no basis in reality, the exodus never happened, the flood never happened and Mary wasn't raped by god to birth himself. I could go on but you get the picture.



weak argument.the flood did happen
GO CANUCKS GO
User avatar
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2630
Joined: Oct 14th, 2008, 10:20 am

Re: If there is a god

Post by Corneliousrooster »

chickenlittle wrote:
Corneliousrooster wrote:(just don't be surprised when the majority of the worlds population isn't buying it - every religion when positioned against the population of the world will be a whopping minority, hmm...........does that mean that all of them contain inferior logic that can not be consumed by the majority??? )


So the majority accepting something makes it true? No - it doesn't make it true - It is your(insert God of Choice) God that sent you out into the world to spread his word (as the one truth) but left you very little in the way of actual tangible evidence that could convince someone who chooses to not base their life on "faith" but rather applied knowledge.
I also think you might be a bit shocked if you actually looked at the statistics.Here are your statistics...http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html
Any way you slice it - even though christianity is the most followed religion, it is still a minority at 33% when compared against the world as a whole.


Corneliousrooster wrote:Dinosaurs? Yeah those fossilized bones that ANYONE ON THE PLANET can touch and witness TODAY - so mythical....... Stories translated and interpreted by man and passed on for centuries, now thats worth basing your WHOLE EXISTENCE on................


So you have faith in fossils? No faith required - I touched a bone with my bare hands - and EVERY SINGLE PERSON around me could also touch the fossilised bone - Anyone on Any day can go and see them with their own eyes .

I am an evolutionist... and still put my faith in God.

Anyone can also experience God if they are willing to.
Anyone can believe anything if they put faith into something - I believe if you and I both live to be 100 years old, I will have read 1000's of books, immersing myself in countless bodies of knowledge in as many facets of life's experience that can hold my interest, helping me to experience and participate in as many of life's and the worlds wonders that your god created for you - You will have read the same book 1000's of times, the same collection of words, the same one sided story - and you can look deeply and try to find faith in the same faiths as the generations before you in the hopes of the ultimate reward in the great beyond

I am an evolutionist...and still have no faith in God (and even less in the creations made in His image - epic fail!)
User avatar
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2630
Joined: Oct 14th, 2008, 10:20 am

Re: If there is a god

Post by Corneliousrooster »

westsidebud wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:
chickenlittle wrote:
Really? I challenge you to find me another piece of ancient litature written in the same style.


That would be styles. There were many authors used in the compilation of the bible. Which ones are you talking about? Not that they were even present for the events depicted. But that's a whole other story. By the way which bible are you talking about? There are quite a few of them too.

chickenlittle wrote:The gospels are unique in their age as literature as nothing else from the same era is written in the same (almost journalistic) style.


Not very good journalism if the 'witnesses/authors' can't even agree on what happened among themselves.

chickenlittle wrote:The funny thing about people who claim that the Bible is not a very good read is that they usually haven't taken the time to actually read it.


I've read it front to back multiple times. Reading it actually lead me to identify as an atheist.
It's a book of myths. Stories that have little or no basis in reality, the exodus never happened, the flood never happened and Mary wasn't raped by god to birth himself. I could go on but you get the picture.



weak argument.the flood did happen


You mean the one where they put 2 of every single one of gods land roaming creatures onto a boat - ya, nothing mythical there..............
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: If there is a god

Post by Mr Danksworth »

westsidebud wrote:
weak argument.the flood did happen

Okay, whatever you say.<pats on head>
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 31019
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:28 am

Re: If there is a god

Post by normaM »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
westsidebud wrote:
weak argument.the flood did happen

Okay, whatever you say.<pats on head>

why do you care so strongly about what people believe in? what exactly are you offering as a replacement?
Don't believe in God - cool, continue on your way - but why the mocking?
Am I free tomorrow? No I'm expensive every day
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10469
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by I Think »

Norma, why do you feel that people need a replacement for a belief?
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2630
Joined: Oct 14th, 2008, 10:20 am

Re: If there is a god

Post by Corneliousrooster »

normaM wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:
westsidebud wrote:
weak argument.the flood did happen

Okay, whatever you say.<pats on head>

why do you care so strongly about what people believe in? what exactly are you offering as a replacement?
Don't believe in God - cool, continue on your way - but why the mocking?


Maybe a little less belief and a little more critical thinking - maybe if people started looking at their surroundings as a bio diverse eco system that shouldn't be meddled with rather than a "creation" that was gifted to those in his image to squander in whatever manner they see fit based on a false sense of entitlement.....
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by NAB »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
westsidebud wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:
chickenlittle wrote:
Really? I challenge you to find me another piece of ancient litature written in the same style.


That would be styles. There were many authors used in the compilation of the bible. Which ones are you talking about? Not that they were even present for the events depicted. But that's a whole other story. By the way which bible are you talking about? There are quite a few of them too.

chickenlittle wrote:The gospels are unique in their age as literature as nothing else from the same era is written in the same (almost journalistic) style.


Not very good journalism if the 'witnesses/authors' can't even agree on what happened among themselves.

chickenlittle wrote:The funny thing about people who claim that the Bible is not a very good read is that they usually haven't taken the time to actually read it.


I've read it front to back multiple times. Reading it actually lead me to identify as an atheist.
It's a book of myths. Stories that have little or no basis in reality, the exodus never happened, the flood never happened and Mary wasn't raped by god to birth himself. I could go on but you get the picture.



weak argument.the flood did happen


You mean the one where they put 2 of every single one of gods land roaming creatures onto a boat - ya, nothing mythical there..............


Yup, flood did happen, at least in the area aof the known reasonably literate world at that time. But as to the rest of it (like the explanation of how most species survived it, nawwww ;-)

...and I learned that in sundayschool.
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10469
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by I Think »

So a river flooded its banks, and an enterprising herdsman put some of his animals onto a raft and saved them from the flood.

after a few hundred retellings noah saved all the animals of the world.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: If there is a god

Post by zzontar »

There is proof of a major flood in that era, but it would be impossible for the world to have the plants and animals there are now if everything was wiped out then, I guess they had bad cell service and couldn't find out if the flood was worldwide... I think with the bible getting the moral of most stories is more important than proving or disproving facts. For example, if the condensed version of the bible said nothing more than "the world is 3000 years old, and do unto others as you would have them do unto you"... the wise man would disregard the first part and apply the second part to his life, getting something out of it... the fool would focus on the first part and bicker about it endlessly, getting nothing out of it.
They say you can't believe everything they say.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”